Why choose Radiance Class?

putte

Hello

Have someone been to a Baltic Sea cruise? Or to Stockholm on a Cruise with Jewel of the seas? At www.shipimage.com there are now some beautiful pictures available when she was there, cruising the Swedish archipelago.

Is there anyone who cruised with Jewel of the seas or her sisters? Please how was she as a ship. Have someone cruised with her in rough sea? How wheel did she go I high waves? What is better with the Radiance Class if you compare it to Voyager, vision or maybe the freedom class?

We haven't been to the Baltic but we have been on Radiance, Navigator, and Freedom. Radiance is especially nice because of all the glass there is to be viewing the water. Navigator was actually a rather rough ride coming back from Cozumel and even "bucked" due to high winds while docked in Coz! Freedom is a wonderful experience with lots to do, to watch, and in general to enjoy. We are currently looking at Baltic cruises but not with RCI.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship, probably our favorite.

We were on her in October, the 5-nighter Boston/Bermuda/Boston. The seas were ROUGH, in fact we saw 71 MPH winds while watching the RCCL cruise channel on the TV. They put barf-bags out everywhere! It was bad, you could not find a "clean" public restroom, all of them smelled like puke.

Most of the crew were sick as well, those that still worked were crabby.

I will cruise on the Jewel again hopefully, but not that itinerary :eek:

###

Oh No, the Radiance class ships are just awful, and they lack an ice skating rink, and promenade, and all of those other things you are looking for. and they are getting entirely too popular, and we are trying to keep them to ourselves:D [/size]

We just got off from the Jewel Christmas eve. It is truly a beautiful ship with a lot of glass everywhere. When it was docked next to other ships, it stood out as the more attractive ship. The colors and decor are very tasteful. There was a lot to do on the ship - the size was just right. I had a lot of fun just watching the self adjusting pool tables. Amazing! We ran into some rough waters and it felt fine. The only complaint I heard was that the cabins on deck 2 (the very bottom) were loud from something mechanical. Other than that, I would not hesitate to sail on the Jewel again.

We have sailed twice on Radiance and once on Serenade, and we love that class! In fact we are looking at that Baltic on Jewel and it looks very good indeed!

We think the buffet on Radiance class is positively the best afloat, with all the different stations and the many many choices. And the thing we love the most is the Thermal Suite in the spa!

We manage to get along fine without a rock climbing wall or a skating rink.

;)

Check our webpage below for our reviews and pics of Radiance and Serenade.

Maybe we will see you in the Baltic!

mercedmike, you need to go back on the Radiance and the Serenade after you get off the Jewel, since all of the Radiance class ships have rock climbing walls (just trying to give you yet another excuse to cruise these wonderful ships again:D).

Our first 3 cruises were on Radiance class ships, The Radiance, The Brilliance and The Jewel. We loved everything about them. We took a chance last month and went on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Talk about no comparison!

The Radiance class..they all have Class. Lots of it. Our next bookings will be on the Radiance class and we won't try anything else. Live and learn.

Merced Mike, all RCI ships have rock walls, so you must have missed it on Jewel!;)

I adore the Jewel. We've sailed all 4 Radiance class ships, and I know I need to TRY a Voyager class just for comparison, but I love the Radiance class, and Jewel is my favorite - pretty, fabulous crew (when they're not seasick:rolleyes: ) rides very well in rough water, but there's only so much the stablizers can do to prevent some rocking and rolling. We'll be on her in the Baltics next summer, and I can't wait!

We love Radiance class ships and Jewel is actually our favorite. We have found that this class of the ship handles high seas as well as, or perhaps better than, any others (remember that no matter how large the ship is, it is still miniscule in comparison to the vast ocean it sails on). On the Brilliance westbound transatlantic in 2002, we encountered swells in excess of 60 feet for a time, as the captain deftly outmaneuvered Hurricane Gustave, and most passengers and crew weathered it extremely well. We have also encountered high seas between Boston and Bermuda and while some passengers complained about the movement, it was still, IMHO, manageable.

There are so many attributes of Radiance ships that make them our favorites: the size, the design and the decor, all of the glass including the glass elevators that look out to the sea, the traffic patterns that seem to eliminate any sense of crowding even when the ship is sailing at capacity, and the very attractively decorated solaria. (Jewel is our favorite also because of the delicious crepes that are made to order in the solarium.):)

jeeeze...was this all during hurricane season? lol i have been on a ship when seas were rough (millennium 2001) and i was sick, but not too bad...still dressed for formal night and did not feel as if i would die ;) but nothing like what i have been hearing in this thread! wow! and we sailed the brilliance for a short 4 nighter in november of 2002 and loved her. granted she was only on her 12th sailing so extremely new, but we thought she was a beautiful ship and can't wait to try the radiance in march :)

to answer the OPs questions, we have been on the Jewel on a Baltic cruise followed back2back with a TransAtlantic cruise to Boston when the ship was brand new. we have sailed on 2 other Radiance class ships and they are by far our favorite ships all that glass never lets you forget that you are at sea and affords a wonderful way to view the scenery when the weather is not great such as some days in Alaska or even the Baltic. The Jewel and her sister ship Brilliance on which we did a transAtlantic last year are about as stable in rough seas as any of the new ships, but we are good sailors who dont get sea sick. we much prefer the elegance of ships like the Jewel to the behemoths like Freedom with everything to draw you indoors to that awful promenade concept; but I am convinced that those are the ships of the future - draw the passenger indoors to yet another money making attraction. the Stockholm archipelago is a wonderful sight as is the Oslofjord if the cruise happens to go to Oslo as well. and the overnight in St Petersburg provides more time to see some of that cities wonderful sights as well as a theater performance in the evening. go for it:)

My daughter was on that cruise in an outside cabin in the forward part of the ship. She said it got so bad the crew came in her cabin and bolted a metal plate over the window as a window on a nearby cabin had cracked.

The Radiance class of ships are beautiful; however, some crew members confided in me that there have been some thefts of guests’ personal property lately by some of the crew. So be extra cautious with your belongings, don’t take any chances and you should be fine.

That's a rather outrageous comment to make especially since it appears to be based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence from unnamed crew members. Obviously, everyone should be cautious with their belongings, but to indicate that it is more necessary for those who sail on Radiance class ships, is IMHO, slanderous, indefensible and shameful. :mad: Can I assume that when these crew members confided in you, you immediately reported the situation to the appropriate authorities or did you just decide to drop this bombshell on these boards?:rolleyes:

The Radiance class of ships are beautiful; however, some crew members confided in me that there have been some thefts of guests’ personal property lately by some of the crew. So be extra cautious with your belongings, don’t take any chances and you should be fine.

I'm sorry, but I find what you have posted very hard to believe. I can not believe that crew members would actually confide in you, a passenger, about thefts onboard ship. Were they trying to set you up.......or possibly you were to be there next victim?

Hello

Have someone been to a Baltic Sea cruise? Or to Stockholm on a Cruise with Jewel of the seas? At www.shipimage.com there are now some beautiful pictures available when she was there, cruising the Swedish archipelago.

Is there anyone who cruised with Jewel of the seas or her sisters? Please how was she as a ship. Have someone cruised with her in rough sea? How wheel did she go I high waves? What is better with the Radiance Class if you compare it to Voyager, vision or maybe the freedom class?

We did the Baltics cruise on Jewel in August of 2005 and had a wonderful experience. The ship handled the waters just fine.........though we never encountered any abnormally rough seas. The ship is absolutely gorgeous and lives up to her name "Jewel".

We prefer the Radiance class ship because it is just the right size both in passengers and facilities. Loads of areas with glass to view wonderful scenery. Staff and crew are the absolute best.

That's a rather outrageous comment to make especially since it appears to be based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence from unnamed crew members. Obviously, everyone should be cautious with their belongings, but to indicate that it is more necessary for those who sail on Radiance class ships, is IMHO, slanderous, indefensible and shameful. :mad: Can I assume that when these crew members confided in you, you immediately reported the situation to the appropriate authorities or did you just decide to drop this bombshell on these boards?:rolleyes:

Agree completely!

It is true. Understand that I am a Diamond member, stockholder in the company and had never had a problem on RCI ships. I am an officer who has worked in both antiterrorism and law enforcement. Both the loyalty ambassador and the server in the concierge lounge were my sources. There was an investigation on the ship and it still may be underway, I'm waiting to hear back from the corporate office.

I want you and fellow cruise critic members and their property to be safe.

OK so obviously you have an ax to grind.

Everyone know they must be careful and not leave valuables out so what is your point ?

Or do you not want anyone to sail this great ship so you can have her all to yourself !

Oh for crying out loud! He's just trying to say there have been some thefts on the ship lately so you want to be extra careful. I appreciate the information and i'm so tired of people getting all bent out of shape everytime anyone says anything negative about RCCL or any of the ships. It's my favorite cruisline too, but no company is perfect nor do they always have perfect employess one hundred percent of the time.

Thanks Cruisin-Family for the heads up!

It is true. Understand that I am a Diamond member, stockholder in the company and had never had a problem on RCI ships. I am an officer who has worked in both antiterrorism and law enforcement. Both the loyalty ambassador and the server in the concierge lounge were my sources. There was an investigation on the ship and it still may be underway, I'm waiting to hear back from the corporate office.

I want you and fellow cruise critic members and their property to be safe.

Thanks for the explanation. That's a lot more reasonable and believable.

Back to the original topic of conversation: Brilliance was incredibly stable in the Med... I don't think I felt the ship move once the entire 12 days, which is really something. Granted the Med was like a giant bathtub at the time we sailed, it was still very smooth! We just faced some rougher seas on the Jewel 2 weeks ago. The ship did quite well, although there was of course some movement. Didn't seem to really hinder anyone, so kudos to the Jewel.

Oh for crying out loud! He's just trying to say there have been some thefts on the ship lately so you want to be extra careful. I appreciate the information and i'm so tired of people getting all bent out of shape everytime anyone says anything negative about RCCL or any of the ships. It's my favorite cruisline too, but no company is perfect nor do they always have perfect employess one hundred percent of the time.

Thanks Cruisin-Family for the heads up!

It is so good to know that Cruisin-Family is an "officer" and knows what he is talking about. :rolleyes: Wait a minute, how do we know that - because he claims to be? :confused:Maybe he is, but the mere fact that he claims to be is certainly no proof that he is or that he has special inside knowledge. No one here is claiming that RCI is perfect, only that it is very unfair for someone we do not know to come on the boards and tar a whole group of people with an unsubstantiated allegation. We don't know that "there have been some thefts on the ship lately" nor do we know that crew members are under suspicion or investigation. We only have the poster's word for that and I, for one, think that is not enough to believe his claim.

Archived