ice cream you scream......

foneguy

We were just on the Explorer and the soft serve was so good, I didn't even bother with Ben & Jerrys. I recall seeing 3 machine locations - 2 on each side of the Windjammer, kind of in the middle back facing aft. One had vanilla and strawberry and the other vanilla and chocolate. And, it's make your own so no need to be stingy! By the end of the week, I was so good at making those cones, Dairy Queen could hire me.

I think there were 2 seperate machines at the same location near the pool but didn't use that one much so can't recall all of the details.

and don't forget that in the dining room each night you can ask the waiter what flavors they have. Usually its chocolate, vanilla, and some specialty flavor. On Vision I enjoyed ice cream most nights for dessert, one night I had pistachio, one night I had coffee. And this doesn't include the featured Sherbet for the day either.

by the pool is free - but you have to pay for the ben and jerry's. although i should say I have never been on explorer - only navigator and mariner - but i think it is the same on all the ships.

We will be on Mariner in March. Can anyone tell me what the charge for the ice cream is at Ben and Jerry's? Is it all individually priced like at a regular Ben and Jerry's? Thanks.

What is the quality of the poolside soft ice cream like? Smooth and creamy like dairy cream and Carvel, or Icy like the Old Towne Buffet?

At poolside there is is Free Frozen Yogurt....No Ice Cream at the pool. As a previous poster suggested, free Ice Cream is always available in the Dining Room during dinner, It comes from large 1 gallon containers and is very good !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At poolside there is is Free Frozen Yogurt....No Ice Cream at the pool. As a previous poster suggested, free Ice Cream is always available in the Dining Room during dinner, It comes from large 1 gallon containers and is very good !

Radio

I doubt the ship orders the ice cream in the one gallon size. It probably is ordered in 55 gallon drums for the amount they go through. Ok, maybe not that big but deff not gallon size either.

What is the quality of the poolside soft ice cream like? Smooth and creamy like dairy cream and Carvel, or Icy like the Old Towne Buffet?

I only ever tried softserve ONCE on a ship...Radiance, the very first day in the windjammer. It was gritty ice-milk or frozen yogurt. Had one bite which was bad enough that I've never wanted to bother with it again. :)

People line up for it though on the pool deck, so I'd guess that it's good enough for most.

T

I only ever tried softserve ONCE on a ship...Radiance, the very first day in the windjammer. It was gritty ice-milk or frozen yogurt. Had one bite which was bad enough that I've never wanted to bother with it again. :)

People line up for it though on the pool deck, so I'd guess that it's good enough for most.

T

You must have had a bad batch, it was probably frozen too quickly... It's never been gritty when I've had it.

It's not TCBY, but I think it's pretty good.... :)

Regarding quality, I thought it was pretty creamy and didn't experience any grittiness/iciness all week. The one time I sailed Carnival, it was the gritty ice milk consistency. But wasn't that way on the Explorer.

Also, other's are noting it's frozen yogurt. I didn't detect any of the sour aftertaste frozen yogurt sometimes has.

I doubt the ship orders the ice cream in the one gallon size. It probably is ordered in 55 gallon drums for the amount they go through. Ok, maybe not that big but deff not gallon size either.

Hi Voyager... I thing you are right it might have been very large containers in the Windjammer every evening at dinner. They used 3 flavors in 3 containers ;) ;)

Radio

Archived