HC Cabins that sleep 3

george2000

The RCI has an inside room that will sleep 3. It has two beds and a couch that pulls out into a bed. Also we had a 3 person inside handicap room on the Costa cruise line. Actually it had two bed and they brought in a cot. That did make the room crowded. The bathroom was so big we should have put the cot in there. Why didn't we think of that?

From our experience, most RCCL ships have at least 2 HC cabins that sleep 3 with either an upper or sleep sofa. In addition, Holland America used to be willing to put a roll-away into some of the larger HC cabins.

RCI on their Radiance class ships have 2 handicapped Junior Suites on Deck 10 which sleep 3 one on a sleep sofa. the advantage of this accomodation, we found, was that there is plenty of room if you happen to use a scooter and a wheelchair. There is a walkin closet and a huge bathroom with roll in shower with fold down seat. Dont know how much use you would get from a balcony in Alaska, but it is big enough for 4chairs, 2lounges and a table. everything is automated the door in to the cabin is pheumatic- put your key in the slot, door opens automatically and stays open with plenty of time for handicapped person to enter. the balcony decking is teak and there is no ramp or lip to get out there from the cabin:)

We have had the most success with getting accessible cabins that sleep three on Princess, Holland America, Celebrity and RCCL. On Princess and Celebrity you are most likely to have the third bed be a bunk, if that makes a difference to you. The Island Princess has very nice rooms. On RCCL you can sometimes get a fold-out couch, but this can be a problem of wheelchair space unless the wheelchair used goes to bed early and you can fold up the couch after it is made up. This is one of the few that will also have a balcony as an option sometimes (although in Alaska it may be a little cool to use it much). On HAL we have done very well with ships like the Ryndam and Statendam with the larger accessible cabins and a roll-away bed. Crystal does not offer any non-suite rooms that are accessible and will sleep 3.

splinter what can you tell us about the handicapped cabins on Statendam class on Promenade deck; there are two large outside cabins and we were wondering how they are equpped. as you will see, we too live here in San DIego and are considering the Ryndam for the Mexico/Sea of Cortes cruise round trip from here. do you know whether the door out to the promenade deck adjacent to those cabins is ramped so it could be used by a scooter? and I assume, being an older ship, that the door/doors there are not automatic. also assume with the work you do that you are at the VA hospital in LaJolla

Just a quick note i thought i would toss into this thread. In my experience i have found that only a handful of cruiselines still allow you to book more than 2 people in a handicapped cabin. And it is so much more expensive for us to have to book a second cabin for one person. The cruise lines claim that it is because the handicapped person needs the extra room that the 3rd person will take up. What i know of for sure is that Carnival and NCL will NOT allow you to book more than 2 while RCI and Celebrity will. I have seen some people post about Holland America in this thread, does anyone know for sure if they still allow it?.....We have not even bothered checking out Holland America just because they are owned by Carnival, so we figured they would not allow either. It would be nice if we were able to compile a list on the boards regarding this matter. Thank you for letting me hijack your thread :p. Happy Cruising everyone!

We have been on 9 Carnival cruises in two years and have had a handicapped cabin each time with three adults in the cabin. They are the Carnival Fantasy, Sensation, Glory, Liberty and Valor. They go out of their way to make sure everyone has everything they need always! We have a 10th cruise coming up on Hal's Volendam with a nice large handicapped cabin and all three of us will be in it. Then we will be back on the Carnival Valor in July with one for three. we are in the process of booking another one for May and it will be a handicapped cabin for four adults. While we have not yet cruised Royal Carribean we have information that we can book an oceanview cabin for four. Check with your TA they will be able to find you the cabin you want for your family of 3! :)

It depends on the cabin on HAL. We always get the cheapest cabin we can get (not suites, not balconies) because 1) we are rarely in the cabin except to sleep, and 2) my mother is bothered by drafts, so we don't get much use from a balcony. On the Statendam and the Ryndam we have always had either cabin G704 or G709. We did the same trip (Sea of Cortez) on the Ryndam and really had a good time. Note that G706 and G711 are of the less accessible configuration noted below. The lower Promanade deck cabins are level with the Promanade deck (people walking can look into your cabin if you leave your curtains open, which we don't like). There are no autonmatic doors to the Promanade deck, and those doors are heavy. The only automatic doors to outside deck areas are on the Lido and Sports deck. You cannot get to the Sky deck as there is no elevator. The access for most of the rest of the ship is good, and the show room is better than most...you can sit anywhere you want in a wheelchair, even in the front row, as it is fully ramped (no stadium seating).

The larger accessible cabins on HAL ships are marked as accomodating both a wheelchair and 3 people, which needs to be with a roll-away bed. Keep in mind that on most HAL ships there are two classes of accessible cabins. One is fully accessible with a roll-in shower, which is the type we need. The other has a wider doorway, but a standard bathroom (usually with a tub) which is more designed for someone who is semi-ambulatory. We cannot use those cabins, and I don't know of any that accomodate 3 or more unless they are suites.

On RCCL, Princess and Celebrity these cabins are also indicated on the ship's deck plan as accomodating 3, but it varies if this means a sofa bed or a bunk bed. You TA should be able to determine the room configuration for you when making your reservations. You have to get out your very best magnifying glass to see the symbols sometimes, but they are there in virtually on deck plans except for Carnival (another reason we don't cruise with them).

Our favorite cruise line is Crystal, but they have no accessible cabins that will sleep 3, so we have sadly had to stop cruising with them. It is too expensive and too inconvenient for us to have to get 2 separate cabins.

We have been on 9 Carnival cruises in two years and have had a handicapped cabin each time with three adults in the cabin. They are the Carnival Fantasy, Sensation, Glory, Liberty and Valor. They go out of their way to make sure everyone has everything they need always! We have a 10th cruise coming up on Hal's Volendam with a nice large handicapped cabin and all three of us will be in it. Then we will be back on the Carnival Valor in July with one for three. we are in the process of booking another one for May and it will be a handicapped cabin for four adults. While we have not yet cruised Royal Carribean we have information that we can book an oceanview cabin for four. Check with your TA they will be able to find you the cabin you want for your family of 3! :)

Wow, this is very strange. We try every year to book 3 people into a handicapped cabin, and the answer is always "we can't do that". I am going to need to check into that because on our Norwegian Dawn cruise last May we had to get seperate cabins, and ya know what, they both had upper berths......:eek:.......Just cancelled our Carnival cruise because of not being able to book more than 2 people, we had 2 cabins booked for the 8 night miracl out oof NY, swithced to the 9 night RCI Explorer because we were able to book all 3 of us into an accessible JR. Suite for $900 cheaper. Could it be that one of us has a power chair instead of a regular wheelchair, could that be the determining factor?.....I am very confused.....:confused:......Thank you for posting back though, much apppreciated....

Could it be that one of us has a power chair instead of a regular wheelchair, could that be the determining factor?.....I am very confused.....:confused:......Thank you for posting back though, much apppreciated....

I use a Jazzy Power Chair and also take a manual wheelchair for ports/taxis, etc. Check with your TA or maybe a different one. Carnival has really great handicapped rooms especially on the Conquest class like the Glory, Valor and Liberty. Two twins wchich can be together as king, a really comfortable sofa which is a bed and has huge storage drawers underneath and a reading light, and a table. There is lot's of closet space and storage and a refrigerator, plenty of room for three adults and one using a power chair. We take a lot of stuff with us and have pleanty of room! The bathroom is large with roll in shower, bars, nice vanity counter with shelves for your stuff. The cabins are an excellent place for three! The ones that we have been in on the Glory, Valor and Liberty are 1002, and 1001, but there are others as well. These are great cabins on the Panorama Deck with a great view! Our TA is always able to get the handicapped ones for a lower deck price because we need one that holds the three of us. Even Carnival's smaller ships like the Fantasy and Sensation hold the three of us. On these they bring in a roll a way, but they still work great! E259 holds three and has automatic door! E72 holds three and it is actually big enough to leave the roll a way set up all the cruise and have plenty of room to still move around. Check into Carnival again, if you need to get a different TA, one that will do like ours and work amazing miracles by getting us what we need! If you don't have any luck, e-mail me and I can put you in touch with our TA and she can get you what you want at a great price! I hope this helps! Cruising in a handicapped cabin with three is not hard, it's easy and fun! :)

Archived