Captain Circle changes

Dorinda

Hi kids - hope this title is ok. We really felt the need to post our response to the new internet perks policy...

Free Internet Access

Credit Towards Internet Café Packages (effective April 1, 2007)

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days

We have many days on Princess and often do long cruises and B2B's. This change will impact us a lot and will encourage us to look more closely at other cruise lines.

We have figured that on a 19 day cruise you would get $100 worth of free internet. This works out to $5 per day or 10 minutes (figured by the rates in effect during our cruise last month). Considering how slow the connection can be, this is barely time to log on.

We have seen most of the evening entertainment on Princess so we often go to the internet room after dinner instead. We will no longer have the option of this alternate entertainment.

If you cruise a lot, as we do, the internet is really necessary to take care of business when you are away for months at a time.

One we reason we wanted to post is, we are always hoping that Princess does actually take a look at these boards. They need to hear some feedback.

Cheers!

Dee and John

Very touchy subject right now, I believe a thread on this was just removed in the last few days it was very long and heated. I think the majority will have to wait until after 04/01/07 to poll cruisers on these cruises with the new internet benifits to find out just how bad it will become. :)

Guess this thread will go Poof too.

Maybe when Princess notices past loyal pax not cruising as often cause they are cruising on other lines they will take note and look after there loyal passengers.

We don't cruise to be in the internet cafe but it is nice to be in touch and for people that need to be in touch with there office and families was a great perk.

I am interested to see how this pans out in April.:D :D

Hi all,

I have been following the recent discussions regarding changes to Captain's Circle tiers and I must say that I love this new Elite perk:

Priority Disembarkation

Priority Disembarkation allows you to select from a disembarkation group most convenient for you.

We have a 4pm flight out of FLL in February and wasn't looking forward to the crush and long lines at the airport, I called my TA and made arrangements for a 10:30 disembarkation.

Hi Colo Cruiser - I read the other thread and was sorry that it had been closed before we had a chance to post. (It's still there currently on page 2.) That's why I was careful to title this thread correctly. I'm hoping posters stay on track and this thread is allowed to stay open.

Sharon - I hadn't noticed the new priority disembarkation perk. Thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers,

Dee and John

Something I don't think was mentioned on the other thread:

I can't say that this is true for all Princess ships, but I remember that on the Grand the Princess website can be surfed for free (you are not charged and then re-imbursed - it's free for everyone). There is a link at the bottom and a notice suggesting that you first log on to the Princess website to see if the connection is working fast enough for you. If it is, then swipe your card.

We have especially enjoyed the free internet, but don't believe we'll use more than what will continue to be free for us under the new guidelines (as I understand them). One question is, will the credit be per person or per cabin? I'll guess per person.

Guess we'll have to cool it and wait for more definitive information from Princess (or from platinum or elite CCers who cruise after 4/1).

Hi Colo Cruiser - I read the other thread and was sorry that it had been closed before we had a chance to post. (It's still there currently on page 2.) That's why I was careful to title this thread correctly. I'm hoping posters stay on track and this thread is allowed to stay open.

Sharon - I hadn't noticed the new priority disembarkation perk. Thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers,

Dee and John

Yes there are many theories on how this will work with the internet but time will only tell. :)

How did everyone stay in touch pre internet and cell phones? I think cruises were even longer in those days. I AM NOT a Princess defender just wanted to know?

they used the ship's phone in each room (expensive), and prior to that, they used homing pigeons (bring your own unless elite)

Something I don't think was mentioned on the other thread:

I can't say that this is true for all Princess ships, but I remember that on the Grand the Princess website can be surfed for free (you are not charged and then re-imbursed - it's free for everyone). There is a link at the bottom and a notice suggesting that you first log on to the Princess website to see if the connection is working fast enough for you. If it is, then swipe your card.

We have especially enjoyed the free internet, but don't believe we'll use more than what will continue to be free for us under the new guidelines (as I understand them). One question is, will the credit be per person or per cabin? I'll guess per person.

Guess we'll have to cool it and wait for more definitive information from Princess (or from platinum or elite CCers who cruise after 4/1).

Thanks for the suggestion, I seem to remember we did that while on the Diamond in September:D, I'm sure others will appreciate the tip.

Hi all,

I have been following the recent discussions regarding changes to Captain's Circle tiers and I must say that I love this new Elite perk:

Priority Disembarkation

Priority Disembarkation allows you to select from a disembarkation group most convenient for you.

We have a 4pm flight out of FLL in February and wasn't looking forward to the crush and long lines at the airport, I called my TA and made arrangements for a 10:30 disembarkation.

We've always been able to change to an earlier group. Just talk to the purser's desk.

How did everyone stay in touch pre internet and cell phones? I think cruises were even longer in those days. I AM NOT a Princess defender just wanted to know?

You used the mail and it used to be possible to have mail sent to the ship's agent in any port. It was then delivered to you on the ship. This was a looooong time ago!

Cheers,

Dee

I guess the internet program will work out ok for us, but I was really looking forward to the unlimited free internet. Now I'm wondering about free laundry in the future. Should I even try to reach that level? Probably not. This is sort of a downer for me to see Princess start doing stuff on the cheap.

With my job, if I have internet access I am able to travel more frequently and still keep up on some work. I prefer to travel more often and do some work than to have limited travel time with no internet access. Different strokes for different folks.

We've always been able to change to an earlier group. Just talk to the purser's desk.

Yes, I know. I don't want to disembark in an earlier group - I want to hang out and disembark later, after all the crowds have "left the building". ;)

The earlier thread made reference to "Internet Hogs", who dare to spend a lot of time on the internet while cruising, possibly being the cause of this internet access change. If this musing is correct, how about:

The Drink Hogs, those who dare to drink and eat everything in sight during the Captain's Circle Party, cause there to be a $10 credit when purchased with the Captain's Circle Picture, Booze and Canapes package ($30)?

The Laundry Hogs, those who dare to have all of their laundry and dry cleaning done while on-board, cause it to be a $100 credit on a $150 bag of quarters for the self serve laundry, or a $75 credit on the $100 "Ship Your Stinky Clothes Home" package? (Or will the sewer smell make this a moot point?)

The Tender Hogs, those who dare to flaunt their card to get on the first available tender, cause there to be the $15 credit on the $25 Express Zodiac Excursion to the tender dock?

The Shoe Polishing Hogs, those who bring every shoe they own, along with all of their dirty clothes as well (see perk above), just for the free shoe polishing, cause their to be a buy one shoe - not pair - polishing, get one free credit?

And of course there are the potential impacts of the Canapes Hogs, the Afternoon Tea Hogs, the Upgraded Bathroom Amenities Hogs - for sale later on eBay no doubt - and last but not least, those Wine Tasting Hogs who didn't get their fill at the Captain's Circle Party.

With all of these hogs around, at least there will not be a shortage of pork on Italian night...

We will miss the free internet also...but the way I read the Princess site is each Platinum member will get $100 credit...so that is me and my DH - that is $200 for a 15 day cruise (or $150 for a 7 day) which should work out fine for us...

Am I misinterpreting this....seems like if you are both platinum or elite you will get double the credit?

I also get the impression that the credit will be applied to your account and you will be billed just like you are now for internet and then it is credited every day as long as you have credit left...so with double the credit it will last a fairly long time. It will be more of a hassle now to keep track and the Pursur's desk will be busier with folks checking their accounts more often....

Any other thoughts on how this might worki??:confused:

You can joke about it (Hogs) but on a recent Princess Cruise Someone boasted about an $900 INTERNET bill on a seven day cruise, I knew this was going to happen.

If the person did indeed sit in front of the terminal for 4+ hours everyday, then that was their personal choice and since there was no prior limit on "free" internet, it was their perogative to do so under the Captain's Circle rules that were in effect at the time.

Now if they loaned their card out, or otherwise violated the terms of the agreement, then they are subject to censure, but otherwise it was their personal choice to do spend their cruise in front of an internet terminal and I would be loathe to criticize a personal decision that violated no rules - only my own sensibilities.

I have not read the previous thread but will now it it is still around.

We have many days on Princess and often do long cruises and B2B's. This change will impact us a lot and will encourage us to look more closely at other cruise lines.

If you cruise a lot, as we do, the internet is really necessary to take care of business when you are away for months at a time.

Cheers!

Dee and John

We are not there yet(free internet) and try to avoid the internet when away but will be interested if you find a line with similar perk for everyone based on sailings, you may find it for top suites.

The other thing although expensive if it is realy necessary for business then that is a choice you make to manage remotely and it is deductable.

I would not be choosing Princess JUST because there is free internet.

When we do reach the level(soon maby, we use other lines as well ) hopefully there will still be some free time.

The general problem for cruise lines to provide QOS must be getting more difficult since not only are there the PC but also all the wireless laptops people bring.

Pricing should be bandwidth based not time and general PC use free.

Archived