Questions regarding Carnival Southern Caribbean

reverend

My wife and I are taking the 7-night Carnival Destiny cruise from San Juann to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antiqua. We would like information about best beach/snorkeling spots at each stop -- are the cruise line shore excursions for beaches/snorkeling worth the money, or better to arrange something on our own.

Also, any comments regarding the ship would be appreciated.:confused:

We did that sailing a year ago December. We loved the ports of call. I regret not snorkeling in Dominica. You can do research on what beach you want to go and just take a taxi to a beach. In Antiga we did a kayak and beach excursion through the ship. I do know that you can take a taxi to the Pineapple Beach Resort and for a fee you can use their property. Contact the Resort for details.

In St. Thomas I highly recommend going over to St. John to either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay. Absolutely beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. You can easily do it on your own. What you do is take a taxi to Red Hook from the pier, take the ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, then take a taxi to either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay. Very easy!!

In Barbados, I highly recommend the Silvermoon I or II. www.oceanadventures.bb These are beautiful catamarans that can hold up to 40 or 50 people but they only allow a maximum of 12 on the Silvermoon I and 18 on the Silvermoon II so you are much less crowded than the cruiseline excursions. They take you swimming with the sea turtles and snorkeling. When they stop to provide you lunch, you can also swim off the back of the catamaran - absolutely breathtaking. They provide all you can drink alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, including pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris on the way back to the ship.

I would highly recommend viewing the Thread "Attn: Destiny Cruisers...Past and Future Post Here." Also, check out the Ports of Call boards for each island and you'll get loads of great recommendations.

Good Luck!

Only went snorkeling on St. Thomas/St. John. Neither were prebooked excursions. Just went to Coki Beach on St. Thomas and Trunk Bay on St. John. There are people there who will rent the equipment to you without having to make any reservations.

The Destiny and her staff were great. I'm sure you'll have a great time. We'd be going her again this year but the itinerary has become a little too port-intensive for us.

St. Thomas is very doable on your own. Here are some notes I've saved on this island:

If you want to snorkel:

• Take taxi to Red Hook (about 20min to ½ hour); from Red Hook take ferry to Cruz Bay, St. John. From landing, take taxi to Trunk Bay. Fabulous beach – you can rent snorkel equipment there. Make arrangements with taxi driver who dropped you off what time he should pick you back up. I suggest early ferry over to St. John (by 8 am or so), then take the ferry back (around 2pm) to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas instead of Red Hook. Then you can shop for a good hour or so before you take a taxi back to the ship. Ferry schedule: http://www.*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#St.%20John%20Passenger%20Ferry:%20%20Red%20Hook%20to%20Cruz%20Bay
  • Take a taxi – about $4 pp each way to Coki Beach. It is a very small local beach with incredible snorkeling. You can rent a chair ($5) and umbrella ($12 or $15. There is a small concession stand and the waiter will come around to take your drink or food order . You can just wade in and snorkel here – the water clarity here is top notch.

Or other beaches:

1. Go shopping in Charlotte Amalie in morning (about 5 minute taxi ride - $2 or $3 per person) and shop. Bring your goodies back to ship, have lunch, then head out for one of the beaches. I suggest Magen’s Bay – it’s a nice ride to get there – very scenic. It’s a quiet beach with changing facilities, a little drink/snack hut, and you can rent chairs and floats. Not a good beach for snorkeling, though.

2. Sapphire Beach – about a $4-6 cab ride each way. There is a hotel on this beach if you rent chairs there you can use their facilities. There is wave runner and parasail rental here. This is not a good beach for snorkeling.

3. You can go with Godfrey Tours – for $20 will take you 2 hours shopping, 2 hours on an island tour and 2 hours to beach of your choice. Comes very recommended on the Cruise Critic Board. Make reservations at

http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/

I love the Destiny itenerary, we did not book any excursions thru the ship and have a great safe time.

St. Thomas, took the ferry to St. John, Trunk bay is way to crowed so cinnnamon Bay was much better and just as beautiful, stayed until 3pm and still had plenty of time to do a little shopping in St Thomas before heading back to the ship.

Dominica, we hired a taxi for the day at $20 pp, our driver took us up to the rainforest and falls, we wnet for a hike, then a city tour, then out to the Champagne reef for some snorkeling, plenty of time left for shopping.

Barbados we took a 5 minute taxi ride to the Boat yard, it was lots of fun.

The rest of the time was lazy beach days, just caught taxi's from the pier the beach and enjoyed the sun and clear water.

Have fun, i think the Destiny is a great ship.

Archived