Thoughts on the "fate" of Seabourn?

Martha B.

As a "dyed-in-the-wool" Seabourn-ite I have been so concerned and worried as to what is going to happen to Seabourn? We are now left alone in Miami.....apart from Cunard and Carnival! I realize our 3 "Yacht's" are old and without the ever-so-popular balconies.......There are so many of us that have found our "home" and would never consider sailing on larger or "other type" ships.......

Please post your ideas and thoughts, as I am very worried! I am afraid Seabourn is for sale.

Thanks a million!

MB

I seriously doubt the staff and crew would switch over........of course we're discussing 2 totally different type's of sailing. I know the QE2, Caronia and the new QueenM2 are fabulous ships, but there are many of us "small ship Sailors" that just prefer the Yacht's and the "family atmosphere." We so enjoy the "smallness"........and the Staff and Crew, as well, love it.

Thank you for your post.

MB

Chuck~~~~usually I am the up-beat one and always VERY optimistic, but since hearing of all the changes Carnival is making I simply have been in tears!

For so many of us 'ole true, loyal Seabourn-ites, our "baby yacht's" are our home, away from home.........and the Officer's, Staff and Crew, our ex-tended family.

You can laugh at this.......I guess "my job" on the Seabourn ships is to comfort the distrubed and distrub the comfortable! Hahaha I am the guest party planner and the "Guest Social Director"......I loveeee my 'lit "wooden ships", as Captain Leif Rodahl would describe them, as so many of us do!

You are very gracious also and I appreciate your trying to cheer me up!

"Amigos Para Siempre", Sailor!

MB

As a "dyed-in-the-wool" Seabourn-ite I have been so concerned and worried as to what is going to happen to Seabourn? We are now left alone in Miami.....apart from Cunard and Carnival! I realize our 3 "Yacht's" are old and without the ever-so-popular balconies.......There are so many of us that have found our "home" and would never consider sailing on larger or "other type" ships.......

Please post your ideas and thoughts, as I am very worried! I am afraid Seabourn is for sale.

Thanks a million!

MB

Hi MB,

You probably read my thoughts on the Seabourn board, so I'm not going to hash into them again, but I did want to clarify a bit.

I do think the Seabourn ships are getting up there in age, and probably lack many of the amenities modern luxury cruisers demand, such as balconies and multiple dining venues. None the less they have an amazing product that is somewhat unique in the luxury market. They are about the smallest luxury ships you can sail (except for Seadream Yacht which I place in a slightly different demographic). This equates to an intimacy you probably won't find on luxury lines like RSSC and Crystal. I think many Seabourn loyalists find this a big part of the appeal. On the flip side I also think it might scare off potential luxury customers who are looking for "more".

This probably explains why Seabourn has not grown like all the other Carnival brands. Seabourn's market share has remained stagnant, and unfortunately I feel this is one reason Carnival is likely to sell the brand (provided they can find a buyer). Carnival is all about growth and expansion to improve profits and market share. I get the impression they no longer feel Seabourn is adding to the portfolio of brands they offer. I certainly could be wrong about that, but Seabourn seems to be in flux right now, and certainly stagnant as far as growth while all the other luxury brands (and Carnival brands) have added new capacity over the years. We certainly know Carnival Corp. has the capital to do what ever they desire, but being the smart company they are they don't build new ships unless they are certain there is a demand.

So what happens if Seabourn does get sold? Frankly they may be better off. The product may become even more specialized and improved under new owners that have the dedication and desire to make Seabourn a success, especially if it is their sole interest. Looking at other independent luxury brands this seems to be the case. My only hope would be that new owners are wealthy enough to operate the brand in the fashion it was originally intended. If this is the case then we have nothing to worry about.

There is also one other possibility, although I feel it's more remote. Carnival Corp. might be positioning Seabourn for expansion. Maybe Carnival is ready to expand Seabourn's market share by infusing new capital into the line by way of new tonnage and refurbishments? A new breed of luxury ship that will be marketed under the Seabourn moniker?

I truly feel it's one or the other, as Carnival is not a company that rests on it's laurels. They tends to take action to grow the brands or get rid of them all together. Either way it could be good news for Seabourn.

Best,

Ernie

Ernie~~~~thank you for your post! I so hope Seabourn does not change....

Yes, I did read and RE-read your post on Seabourn CC Board. Some of us have already booked thru' 2006, in fact I have good friends that have booked 8 or so future cruises. I guess I'm just disappointed in "what might happen" to Seabourn.

Again, thank you for your post AND for your care and concern for our "beloved Seabourn!"

MB

Carnival Corporation has tried to offer a cruise product for as many different markets as possible. From the first time, budget cruise passenger to the luxury cruise experience offered by Seabourn and every crusing taste in between, they have achieved that goal. For Seabourn to be sold, that would leave a market not covered by a Carnival Corporation company. In my opinion, I think eroller is correct. I think the Company is being positioned for some newbuildings. Mr. Arison has said that new orders will probably be placed for the American market when the dollar recovers some of its strength in comparison to the Euro. Hopefully, that will include some new Seabourn vessels.

"We have established a team across the Cunard and Princess organizations to manage the transition process. Our goal is to establish the Cunard brand organization in Valencia by September 30th, and to achieve a complete relocation of the Cunard Line business by December 2004. Concurrent with these changes, the Seabourn organization will remain based in South Florida and operate as an independent brand within Carnival Corporation led by Deborah Natansohn as President."

This from a letter I received today from Cunard. If you'd like to see the entire letter, check out the "From Cunard" thread.

Linerguy

Archived