Just back, Grand Princess- W. Caribbean 6-13 Jan, 2007

Shoalwater

In a nutshell-

Embarkation Went fast at around 1230 hrs, took us less than 30 min (group of 10).

Disembarkation: Your worst nightmare. Port was closed for heavy fog, so arrived 1 hr late at 0800 to dockside. ICE sent too few agents again. Walk-offs (numbering between 600-700) started at 0830, we were in one of last groups (Plaza Deck cabin) and called at 1130 hrs. Towards end the ship started calling multiple groups to get us off so they could get ready to board new PAX. They in effect transferred ownership of the problem to the Port authorities by dumping us into the baggage claim area. TIP- hire a porter to get around the long ICE lines, porters get a priority line! Saw many PAX working the mobile phones and laptop wireless to rebook flights (we drove).

I wonder if the ICE problem is one reason Princess is leaving G'ton? Ship departure delayed a few hrs bu this snafu, means they're late to Costa Maya!

In no particular order-

Elevators- Sure they were slow when everyone tried to go to dinner at the same time. Rest of the day they were okay (TIP- Plaza Deck is situated well for getting to dining rooms and public areas)

Anytime Dining to "Fixed Time" We were family group of 10 that had Anytime dining, which wasn't going to work for us. After first meal when we found good wait team sought out the Maitre 'd Giorgio Pisano, and requested tha same table in Anytime Michelangelo room for "fixed" rest of the week. No problem, he was glad to assign it to us. The other tables for this team were also assigned as "fixed" for the week by Giorgio. TIP- only the Maitre'd can do this. OP have said they were denied this request, but I will bet they asked the room staff, and of course they will say they cannot, only the Maitre'd can do it.

Mattress We were in Plaza 247. Mattresses were worn out, busted, an embarassment to Princess. Third time on GP and this is inexcusable.

Food Hey, its not Maxime's in Paris, but its better than any restaurant we generally go to any night of the week. Food seemed comparable to other Princess cruises. Our wait staff was excellent.

Crew Except for a few obviously stressed out waiters, the overall crew and staff were very helpful, cheerful, and ready to assist in whatever way they could. DIL ran out of diapers for grandson during long disembarkation process, and ships staff went to Kids area and got her several.

Cruise Cards Were not collected.

Carrying Liquor to ship at ports Never saw it collected, kept it in room.

This was one of the smoothest trips as far as sea conditions, weather was fine except for day in Belize. Hey, overall we had a great trip. Were there occasions when things weren't impeccable, sure, but life comes at you fast anyway and you need to adapt. We are sorry to see Princess leave G'ton

thanks for posting your review.

DH and I are going at the end of Feb. We may not even get off the ship. I was wondering if any areas were crowded or if you saw any lines at a particular time of day? We just mean to relax and enjoy the ship.

I'm also wondering the details about the drink cards? I know there is a soda card and a coffee card, are there other cards - like drink of the day, etc.

Thanks for the sharing the good and the bad (those darn beds) we will know what to expect!

Thanks for the great report. We sail on GP 2/24 and can't wait.

Just a q's for you.....

When nights were formal nights?

How about the lobster night/french night/italian night? (trying to figure out which night to book sabatinis and the steakhouse, but don't want to miss out on lobster--can do without french night!

Did you show at the pier at 1230 and it was smooth, or did you get there at noon and get onboard at 1230? We'll be at a local hotel and want to get there for the best embarkation....on our previous cruises they have been generally fast, but waited 4 hours on time!

Thanks again for the info....a bit concerned about the beds on plaza deck. We'll be in 320 and my parents in 321. Hope they aren't as bad. Did you request an egg crate?

Thanks for the great report. We sail on GP 2/24 and can't wait.

Just a q's for you.....

When nights were formal nights? Sunday & Wednesday

How about the lobster night Thursday/french night no French night, Caribbean Tuesday- probably weakest menu/italian night think it was Monday? (trying to figure out which night to book sabatinis and the steakhouse, but don't want to miss out on lobster--can do without french night!

Did you show at the pier at 1230 and it was smooth Yes walked in and immediate boarding, or did you get there at noon and get onboard at 1230? We'll be at a local hotel and want to get there for the best embarkation....on our previous cruises they have been generally fast, but waited 4 hours on time!

Thanks again for the info....a bit concerned about the beds on plaza deck. We'll be in 320 and my parents in 321. Hope they aren't as bad. Did you request an egg crate? Hardness wasn't the issue- I like firm beds. Problem was sagging of mattress due to worn innersprings.

See answers in blue above.

FYI: I believe the Agency you are referring to is actually CBP (Customs and Border Protection) whom are incharge of inspections at the Ports of Entry, not ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement).

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/[/url]

U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s top priority is to keep terrorists and their weapons from entering the United States. While welcoming all legitimate travelers and trade, CBP officers and agents enforce all applicable U.S. laws. CBP prevents narcotics, agricultural pests and smuggled goods from entering the country and also identifies and arrests those with outstanding criminal warrants. On a typical day last year, CBP officers welcomed 1.2 million people at the nation’s 314 land, air and seaports while denying entry to more than 3,000 inadmissible visitors.

http://www.ice.gov/about/index.htm

Created in March 2003, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the largest investigative branch of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The agency was created after 9/11, by combining the law enforcement arms of the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the former U.S. Customs Service, to more effectively enforce our immigration and customs laws and to protect the United States against terrorist attacks. ICE does this by targeting illegal immigrants: the people, money and materials that support terrorism and other criminal activities. ICE is a key component of the DHS “layered defense” approach to protecting the nation.

Archived