The first 10 seconds in your cabin

dyslexic pirate

This is one for the experienced cruisers.

My Dh and I have both experienced a strange emotion right after we step into our cabin for the first time on the past few cruises we've taken.

We get this immediate sensation of relaxation and feel like we are finally...."Home!" :) It's really weird and each time we cruise we feel totally blessed and lucky!

Do any of you seasoned cruisers get to where you feel like your real land home is really just an extended excursion until you can get back on the next ship?

Oh, yes, definitely. I bring pictures and poems and sayings on each of our cruises (keep them right in our luggage) and I tape everything to the walls of our cabin. We have our stuffed German Shep/Rottweiler animal like our Tucker who goes on all the cruises with us as our mascot, and he is put in a special place. :D I plug in the clock, tape things to our cabin door and it becomes our own little home. Worst part when the cruise is over is taking that last glance back at your cabin :(

My Dh and I have both experienced a strange emotion right after we step into our cabin for the first time on the past few cruises we've taken.

We get this immediate sensation of relaxation and feel like we are finally...."Home!" :) It's really weird and each time we cruise we feel totally blessed and lucky!

Do any of you seasoned cruisers get to where you feel like your real land home is really just an extended excursion until you can get back on the next ship?

I know what you mean :D It's like one long cruise. I think you said it very well! My first 10 sec. in the cabin is one big exhale with "aaaaahhhh".

Oh yes! The moment we arrive at the cabin is a wonderful feeling. Until then our anxiety is pretty high (especially for the DH) he's always worried something will keep us from boarding the ship:eek: . Relaxation just comes over us after crossing that threshold.

--Denise

We had a panic attack when we stepped into our cabin on the Conquest in October. We didn't see a pullman berth for our son. On our first two cruises, the upper berth pulled out from the wall and were visable. On the Conquest, the bed pulled out of the ceiling and was not visable until they pulled it out. Talk about panic!!

for me it's boarding early (one of the first to board), head to the Lido and order the drink of the day. as I sit sipping the yummy drink, anticipating getting to the room, I zone out to another world. that's when the shoulders relax (have the work blackberry already turned off!). I started cruising because it was too difficult for the office to contact me or expect to reach me. It's a true get-away. 1:00 isn't early enough to begin the relaxation (that's when the cabins are usually ready). So my 10 seconds are at the Lido!

Hello,

It really is a special feeling when you open the door to your cabin and take a look around. On every one of our 15 cruises my wife and I hug and say "we made it". We have had some anxious moments until all of our luggage is safely in our cabin. There is, however, no feeling quite like entering your cabin on a cruise ship, whether it is your first cruise or your 15th.

Fred

Finally, after months and weeks of planning, researching excursions, saving money, packing and re-packing, making lists (ok, a little wierd for some, but I am the Queen of list-making!).....finally, we cross the walkway and start towards our ship!

We stop and have our picture done....look at those big grins! :D

We are greeted, and welcomed onto the ship....and then we make our way to our room. Will it be just what we were hoping for? Will the view be great? Will there be enough closet space? :eek:

We get off the elevator, find our room, and then my DH and I look at each other, sigh a bit, and with more big grins on our faces, we open the door to our cabin! It is so much fun to explore and look everything over. We flop back on the bed, and laugh because we are finally on vacation!! :p

(sigh) No matter how much fun the planning and anticipation are...there is nothing like being in your home away from home...on a cruise ship!

I've done so much research on our cabin, I'm sure it will feel like home...Like I've been there many times before! Less than a month now for our first long (11 day cruise). I already know where every thing is from all the wonderful people on this board sharing information and pictures....I can't wait!

Dawn Princess....C747....there is no place like home!

I echo all the other responses. I truly feel like I've "arrived home" when we finally get to our cabin. Actually...I think the buzz starts as soon as I set foot on the gang plank. baording early is also a wonderful way to start your first day "home". My next trip "home" is in 40 day! I get to stay home 15 days this time, my longest ever with 9 sea day! My dream is a World Cruise.

To many more "Home Sweet Homes", whereever they may be!

For my DH and I, our first big buzz comes when we book our cruise, then its on to shopping for clothes, researching ports, booking excursions. Sometimes we arrive the day before our cruise and that is when we truly start our vacation. Next day: arriving at the port, seeing our ship and finally walking the gangplank and entering our stateroom, totally bliss knowing that you will be having a relaxing vacation with your SO and not worrying about anything back home.

DYSLEXIC PIRATE...........Your post reminds me of my favorite commercial! It's for Celebrity Cruises and while drawing the blinds in his office, the actor says....I consider this a temporary exile until my next cruise (or something to that effect). Which is EXACTLY how I feel about my every day life. It's only temporary until I get back to my "real life".

What a fun thread to start!!!

This is a great question! It reminds us of that awesome feeling we get when, after months of anticipation, we are finally in our staterooms and are sailing away to a Caribbean island far away from our daily lives.... Settling in and making ourselves at home in our cabins...aka..... home-away-from-home. I especially love having the balcony too...it adds to the feeling of the room....you can sit there day or in the middle of the night, and all there is is oceans around you and the calm sound of the sea.

Delightful!

I can't wait until June! :)

event.png

On our last cruise, my first sensation upon entering the cabin was - yuch! It reeked of stale cigarette smoke. We had to have the cabin attendant exchange all the bedding.

On February 12, when we board the Brilliance of the Seas, I will be very anxious about the cabin. If it is clean and fresh, I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. If not - RCCL staff will be busy pulling everything movable out of the room and washing down the walls.

Why oh why can't we have non-smoking rooms on ships? Many hotels are now completely smoke free.

Archived