flowrider injuries - tell all

Madkitty

I did the same thing yesterday on Liberty of the Seas, which arrived at Miami today November 1st 2009. You REALLY need to take care with the end pole separating the two areas in the top. I was rotating clockwise and hit the pole with my left foot while coming up fast. That was pretty unlucky I guess but it seems that others have done the same. I got a 3rd degree ankle sprain. Didn't hurt much thankfully but I'm wearing a cask and won't be walking for another 2 weeks. When the staff saw the ankle growing to the size of a tennisball in less than 5 seconds they immedidately asked if I had signed the "I'm not gonna sue" form. That was a bit akward. Glad I didn't get on the FlowRider until the last day though :). For your information it'll amount to approx. 664 USD if they put on a cask and hand you a pair of crutches. The good thing: You'll have two souvenir X-rays on a CD to show around and in my case the honeymoon is now more unforgettable than ever! :D

I was a little afraid to try it as I had had my wrist completely reconstructed the year before. I decided that I wanted to go back to living life without worrying about injuries. I did really terrible which was embarrassing since I was once a state champion trick water-skiier. Unfortunately, surfing and water-skiing are NOT the same. I had no injuries at all. I think the key is to let yourself go with the "flow" once you've fallen.

How did you find a two and a half year old thread? That is amazing. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic. ;)

The post above yours is from:

February 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Definately a spectator sport! There is no way I would embarrass myself in front of a load of strangers! And speaking of ladies 'popping out'; try and have a go when one of the girl 'attendants' is on duty. She at least will help cover any embarrassment, whereas the guys treat it all as one big joke and leave you to it! (as I, and everyone else, saw at least twice!)

Simon

How did you find a two and a half year old thread? That is amazing. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic. ;)

The post above yours is from:

February 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Because the board "monitors" (notice I didn't write moderators) are always telling new folks to do a search first if they have a question. :)

I did the same thing yesterday on Liberty of the Seas, which arrived at Miami today November 1st 2009. You REALLY need to take care with the end pole separating the two areas in the top. I was rotating clockwise and hit the pole with my left foot while coming up fast. That was pretty unlucky I guess but it seems that others have done the same. I got a 3rd degree ankle sprain. Didn't hurt much thankfully but I'm wearing a cask and won't be walking for another 2 weeks. When the staff saw the ankle growing to the size of a tennisball in less than 5 seconds they immedidately asked if I had signed the "I'm not gonna sue" form. That was a bit akward. Glad I didn't get on the FlowRider until the last day though :). For your information it'll amount to approx. 664 USD if they put on a cask and hand you a pair of crutches. The good thing: You'll have two souvenir X-rays on a CD to show around and in my case the honeymoon is now more unforgettable than ever! :D

What was the cask full off, wine or whiskey? Either one will be good for the pain;)

seen some nasty videos lately on youtube and would love to hear what injuries have been sustained.....Im gonna do it no matter what but dont know what it will be classed under as far as the insurance is concerned!

I have seen a post on another board that Insurance (UK)denied the claim for a broken ankle $$$ because it was considered a dangerous activity.

Just got back from Freedom and probably rode the flowrider at least twenty times. No injuries, just sore muscles. I'm in my 50s.

My entire family rode it many times including my wife. A few bruises that we laugh about and wear as a badge of pride. The flowrider was one of the best things about our cruise.

I guess that RCI hasn't written the Flowriders off as a "bad idea", since they've put more of the things on the Oasis.

Bad ideas do happen on occasion, of course. Does anyone remember playing Lawn Jarts as a kid?

We were on FOS in June. I went on the flowrider many times without injury but my 17yo daughter split the nail of her big toe on her first ride. She got it caught in the grate were the water drains in the back. A small person is sent pretty forcefully to the back of the flowrider.

Have fun.

My husband was told that there are more injuries from boogie boarding than from the stand up surfing. It has to do with all the tricks boogie boarders try out.

I could not believe how many woman got up there in their tiny two pieces to try it out.:eek: Even a few of the men's short slid down.:p

Just got back from Freedom and probably rode the flowrider at least twenty times. No injuries, just sore muscles. I'm in my 50s.

My entire family rode it many times including my wife. A few bruises that we laugh about and wear as a badge of pride. The flowrider was one of the best things about our cruise.

Thanks for posting !! Thanks too to OP for starting this thread. I have never sailed on the Freedom Class and the flowrider is something new for me to consider.....

Thanks again. :)

Just wondering if anyone w/surfing experience has tried the flowrider and how did you like it?

yes.. However the Flowrider is not anything like surfing. Its a totally different experience more comparable to wakeboarding and snowboarding. That being said its a completely new challenge and lots of fun. I will be on my third ship in January with the flowrider and can't wait to give it another go. I will not book a ship w/o the FR these days..

as regard to injury. A previous poster said it best.. Go with the flow, don't try to fight it. If you can fall to your butt with your feet facing the back wall. That way when you get to the top you can just pop up on your feet. I know it may sound easier than it actually is but after a few goes you'll understand what I mean.

Good grief!!!!:eek:

Can someone who has done this answer a question?

I lieu of the injuries and injury potential, do they make you sign a release form before you get on this thing?

Else, how can they avoid lawsuits?

Anyone??:confused:

Good grief!!!!:eek:

Can someone who has done this answer a question?

I lieu of the injuries and injury potential' date=' do they make you sign a release form before you get on this thing?

Else, how can they avoid lawsuits?

Anyone??:confused:[/quote']

Yes, you have to sign a waiver before being allowed on..

My board got sideways on me. As I fell forward, my left big toe grabbed the rubber surface. My toenail was ripped right off.

But, I'll do it again!

Yowza!! Your toenail was ripped off?:eek: Man, that's the kind of stuff that can ruin your vacay.

My 7 year old has tried this a couple of times at the Wet n Wild on Oahu in Hawaii. He has had no problems - he only laid down to boogie board both times though. It is really amazing what can be done on these things. There are always lots of regulars there that are really good at it and do tons of tricks. They do say that it isn't like surfing - it is a different skill to learn.

well, I'll throw my comments into the mix I guess. My stepson was in San Diego 2 months ago. Went to a local flow rider pool for a work activity. Boogie board came out from under him and he landed on his neck/head and broke his neck. C2. Very close to being paralzyed. The pool bottom wasn't cement, but a spongy bottom. Spent the last 2 months in a C collar but the neck didn't heal. Just had surgery one week ago. Had a cadaver bone inserted between vertibre and metal plate and 4 screws inserted. He's over 6 ft tall and is 36. Soooo, with that being said, crazy accidents can happen obviously. Use at own risk.

How convenient, they probably have a chiropractor at the nearby strip shopping center...between Subway and the dry cleaners... :cool:

LL

You've cancelled your RCL cruise and obviously have an ax to grind. why don't you repost when you have someting intelligent to say?

seen some nasty videos lately on youtube and would love to hear what injuries have been sustained.....Im gonna do it no matter what but dont know what it will be classed under as far as the insurance is concerned!

Hi Bex

Just a word of warning don't go on the Flowrider with just your cozzie on, as they ride up, put a pair of shorts on top to spare your modesty :D

Yes, you have to sign a waiver before being allowed on..

US law prohibits the effectiveness of such waivers for injuries caused by cruise line/ship negligence for cruises that begin, end or port in the US. But of course if there was no negligence the cruise line would not be liable anyway.

Don't put off until last day, but start FR after your $$$ excursions. Our athletic son took 4 sessions to learn tricks on boogie board & almost stand up. Watch a bit before you try.

Wear tshirt and close fitting shorts. DS wore amorall.

Viewing stands (bleachers) surround FR.

DS ( 19 yo) got toe caught in grates (no breakage), bumps, scrapes & bruises. Sore shoulder was the most painful lasting effect.

Beware center divider. DS saw someone get head caught. Attendant quickly turned off FR and person was ok.

well, I'll throw my comments into the mix I guess. My stepson was in San Diego 2 months ago. Went to a local flow rider pool for a work activity. Boogie board came out from under him and he landed on his neck/head and broke his neck. C2. Very close to being paralzyed. The pool bottom wasn't cement, but a spongy bottom. Spent the last 2 months in a C collar but the neck didn't heal. Just had surgery one week ago. Had a cadaver bone inserted between vertibre and metal plate and 4 screws inserted. He's over 6 ft tall and is 36. Soooo, with that being said, crazy accidents can happen obviously. Use at own risk.

Sorry to hear about your stepson's accident...that is scary!

I have done the flowrider many times, both at a local park that has one, and on the Liberty of the seas. I have had a toenail and a fingernail partially torn off. I knew a lifeguard at the park who dislocated her shoulder doing the standup surfing.

On the LOS, I did the stand up surfing most of the time the last several days of the cruise, and I think I got whiplash. I woke up the morning of departure and could barely lift my head, my neck muscles were so sore!

For those who wonder how the flowrider compares to surfing, it is different. I think that it is easier than surfing. It is more similar to snowboarding.

Archived