flowrider injuries - tell all

Madkitty

seen some nasty videos lately on youtube and would love to hear what injuries have been sustained.....Im gonna do it no matter what but dont know what it will be classed under as far as the insurance is concerned!

I tried Flowrider during my july 23 cruise and I got a bruise on my knee that last 3 days and it was doing boogie board style.

It all depends how do you fall :D . But you have to try it at least one time.

I did it on my last day of my cruise (it was less crowded at this time). Stood up for about 20 seconds eventually. The first time I fell I knew I was going to need a chiropractor appt to fix my neck. It took three good chiropractor sessions for my neck to stop hurting. My recommendation to RCCL is to set up a chiropractor office right next to the flowrider. It would save us all some time ;D

This thread will probably disappear before long - once RCCL sees it! :D

We have not been on the Freedom class ship yet, but if/when we do, I will not be trying out the FlowRider and I will not allow anyone in my family to try it. The difference in this ride and doing the "tricks" in an ocean or lake is that you land on a hard surface instead of deep water when you fall. You fall on the FlowRider and wham! :eek:

I found many FlowRider incidents listed on Google (none from RCCL), but the following was by far the worse!

http://www.thescizone.com/news/articles/686/1/Lakeville-mans-spinal-cord-bruised-in-water-park-accident/Page-1.html

BTW - Is there a place where you can lounge, catch some sun and watch the FlowRiders? Should be something to watch!:D

The difference in this ride and doing the "tricks" in an ocean or lake is that you land on a hard surface instead of deep water when you fall. You fall on the FlowRider and wham! :eek:

I was under the assumption, possibly wrong, that the surface of the flowrider was more like a trampoline than a hard surface. What seem dangerous is once you get sideways and fly to the top you can hit the end padding awkwardly. That is where I would think most of the injuries occur.

Also I would think that if your a female you might want to wear more conservative swimear. How many people get there suits ripped off them?

The difference in this ride and doing the "tricks" in an ocean or lake is that you land on a hard surface instead of deep water when you fall. You fall on the FlowRider and wham! :eek:

The surface is actually quite soft. What I learned in my injury and some others on the same cruise was one common mistake. When people started to fall, they didn't let themselves go. They tried to say up and "wiped out!"

Before you go on it, you have to sign a waiver. That's the first hint that injuries can occur. All in all, it was alot of fun and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

There is a spectator area around the Flowrider to watch if you want.

Even though they list the guidelines in the Cruise Compass every day and provide instructions, people still don't pay attention.

They recommend that women wear a T-shirt over their bathing suits---for a good reason. Loose fitting men's bathing suits aren't a good idea, either. While we waited in line, we witnessed several women and men who had tops go up and bottoms come down. :eek: Sometimes they didn't even realize it because of all of the water spraying at the time, but the observers did.

went on the flowrider on 12/17 voyage. hard to get up at my age knee boarding i was able to do but man you truly have to concentrate and try not to think about all those pair of eyes on you.

a teenager around say 14 broke his ankle/foot when it got tangled/stuck on the blue tarp that they use to cut the surface area in half for two separate sections.

freak accident but it does happen.

sister-in-law broke her wrist golfing - she hit the ground just before the ball again freak accident go figure!

went on the flowrider on 12/17 voyage. hard to get up at my age knee boarding i was able to do but man you truly have to concentrate and try not to think about all those pair of eyes on you.

a teenager around say 14 broke his ankle/foot when it got tangled/stuck on the blue tarp that they use to cut the surface area in half for two separate sections.

freak accident but it does happen.

sister-in-law broke her wrist golfing - she hit the ground just before the ball again freak accident go figure!

You mean putt putt golfing?!? :eek:

no, she was hitting on the driving range before she headed out on the course. she was pg at the time so no pain killers would be had while having it e-rayed, wrapped, and then eventually casted.

better her than i

go for the flowrider

it's not like you'll have many opportunites once departing the ship

• 3 weeks later...

Definately a spectator sport! There is no way I would embarrass myself in front of a load of strangers! And speaking of ladies 'popping out'; try and have a go when one of the girl 'attendants' is on duty. She at least will help cover any embarrassment, whereas the guys treat it all as one big joke and leave you to it! (as I, and everyone else, saw at least twice!)

Simon

Archived