Sea sick meds

Newbie87

First of all, call your pediatrician about a good sea-sickness med. for your small child. They can make the best recommendations.

Pharmacies will sell you a generic Meclazine(sp?) that helps hubby and I immensely with seasickness. You don't need a prescription for this. It didn't make us drowzy either. Just ask your pharmacist for their recommendations. We took it before going to bed every night starting the night before the cruise.....could also start it even a night earlier to kind of try it out. My hubby even started taking just a half of a pill about half way through the cruise.

I like ginger because:

1) it is not a drug

2) it is the only one that worked on Mythbusters

Make sure that if you do take it, you take it with water.

I took one just before breakfast and one just before dinner and I was fine. I took the first one the morning before boarding the ship.

I agree check with your DR. to see what they are allowed to take.. but remember to continue taking it thru out the cruise not just 1 day here and there.. I take gravol with ginger (ginger pills only didnt work for me) .. but I take them the day of embarkation until the day after I return. Then again my SO takes nothing only on severe days with seas over 12 ft. he goes to the pursers desk and gets what they offer and it knocks him out..

Being a child you may have to get something different!

Your child is probably the most precious thing that you will ever have, do you really want to rely on what these boards might say as far as a medications is concerned.

No one means any harm and no one is giving bad advice intentionally, but you are dealing with your child's health, go to the pediatrician.

Your child is probably the most precious thing that you will ever have, do you really want to rely on what these boards might say as far as a medications is concerned.

No one means any harm and no one is giving bad advice intentionally, but you are dealing with your child's health, go to the pediatrician.

I totally agree with the posting. Call your child's Dr. I did this for DD first cruise at that same age. He recommended a seasick med (from pharmacy, no perscription) for children. He told me not to give it unless she appeared to be having problems. We didn't end up needing it. Have a great time.

I'll second using ginger root pills. Bought a bottle for about four bucks at Wal-Mart and it helped a bunch on my rocky Legend cruise earlier this month. :rolleyes: But of course everyone's different, and one person's cure may not work for everyone.

Archived