Help me pick itinerary PLEASE!

heyitsmejudy

Both these are on NCL but I'm more interested in where and for how long and at what times we'll be in port vs. ship. We're going either May 19 (option 1) or May 20 (option 2). We know we want to whale watch in Juneau and snorkel in Ketchikan. I've already booked option 1 (before the price went up $100 pp) at $649 pp. Option 2 is $699 pp...

1) Saturday departs Seattle at 4 p.m., cruise inside passage Sunday, Monday is in Ketchikan from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday is in Juneau from 7 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. then cruises Sawyer Glacier, Wednesday is in Skagway from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Thursday, Prince Rupert from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. A day at sea Friday, back in Seattle Saturday at 7 a.m.

or

2) Sunday departs Seattle at 4 p.m., Monday cruise Inside Passage, Tuesday Juneau from 2 p.m. until 10 p.m., Wednesday, Skagway from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m., Thursday, cruise Glacier Bay, Friday, Ketchikan from 6 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., Saturday, Victoria from 6 p.m. until midnight and back in Seattle at 7 am. Sunday.

I'd appreciate any insight you good folks would be willing to provide.

Let me first apologize for the multiple postings. Human interface module.

I spoke to someone at NCL (I hate not having a PVP and just having to talk to whoever answers the phone, BTW)

It's about $100 more total to switch to the Pearl.

Thoughts?

I would absolutely pay $100 to go to Glacier Bay on a brand new ship than to take a chance on seeing the Sawyer Glaciers.

glacier bay is beautiful.

both ships take the same route around vancourer island..no plus or minus for extra scenery on either ship.

one does ketchikan 1st and one does it last. one does victoria (they take you go down to the harbor, has street entertainers, check out the gardens..i don't know how they would be that time of year). never been to prince rupert. but they have to stop at one foreign port so it's either victoria or prince rupert.

glacier bay is multi-glaciers..stopping at the major ones. sometimes the ice blocks the other ones.

it is really a either ..or...thing. pearl is new, star is not that old.

both are made for freestyle dining and have many choices for dining.

one leaves on saturday and one leaves on sunday..which day is best for you?

Well, Tracy Arm is beautiful, a deep scenic fjord. The "Twin Sawyer Glaciers" are mundane, to say the least. Glacier Bay, OTOH, is one of the major scenic wonders of the world, a sight you absolutely have to see at least once in your life. For me, that would be the deciding factor right there!

Another factor, though, is the time in Skagway. This is quite a city and has a lot to see. What we like to do is to rent a car and drive over the Pass to Caribou Crossing, and ride the dog carts. This would be a bit different from your other planned excursions. With the longer time in Skagway you could easily make the Yukon trip and still get back to Skagway with time to shop or do other things.

I would go with the Sunday departure just based on itinerary.

Check out our page below for reviews and pics of several trips to Alaska and different ports, as well as pics of Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay to compare.

Have a GREAT cruise!

From past reviews and other posters, it is very unlikely you would be able to see the Sawyer Glaciers at all in May, the ice will prevent the ship from getting in that far.

I also agree with the others who mentioned that the port times are much better on the Pearl. Plus you get to sail on a new ship and for that little of a price difference I would definately pick the Pearl.

Well, Tracy Arm is beautiful, a deep scenic fjord. The "Twin Sawyer Glaciers" are mundane, to say the least.

I'm certain your opinion is likely from a cruiseship sailing perspective... and I do realize that is the topic of this thread. For large ship sailing, I too would choose Glacier Bay. However, the Sawyer Glaciers are fabulous via small boat excursion. You would come away with a much different attitude toward them than what you've mentioned time and again on the boards concerning the Sawyer Glaciers. Very active calving while we were visiting, and seal pups on the Sawyer Glacier icebergs were just amazing to watch. In fact, some of the icebergs themselves are like no others I've seen in Alaska.

One of my favorite places in Alaska ... Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers.:)

I sincerely appreciate all the insight!

I did, indeed, go ahead and switch to the Pearl. The times in port (afternoon vs. morning) and for how long (we pick up several hours in each place vs. The Star) was well worth the $91 difference! Not to mention the chance to see Glacier Bay.

I've OK'd the switch with Harv and Marv's and they can still accommodate us in the afternoon on the 22nd for whale watching.

Now, I'm off to the Roll Call where I see the May 20 Pearl bunch is already pretty active!

I can't say enough about this Web site. The friends I've made, the assistance I've been offered, the money I've saved ... thanks to all of you. Have a blessed day.

I sailed the Star last year when it was going to Glacier Bay and loved the ship. I can't speak on the itenary the Star is doing this year but I would also recommend the Pearl and Glacier Bay. While I enjoyed every port, cruising Glacier Bay is a must. This was the most relaxing day I have ever had on a vacation. I enjoyed it so much that we chose the Pearl for this may primarly because of Glacier Bay.

Archived