midnight buffet

emsj95

I think we had 3 on the Mariner...one is a pool party with a Caribbean flair and the other if I recall correctly was a Mexican buffet in the pool area also. And then is the Gala Buffet where you walk through the dining rooms and take pictures...then go back thru and eat.

There should be 1 traditional midnight buffet, and 1 chocolate buffet. If you have 2nd seating, I'm betting you won't have an iota of room left to even sample a bite!

Main seating folks should be able to partake, tho--they're very impressive to look at! (We are 2nd seaters, and have never tried anything--too full from dinner!)

I've taken photos of the midnight buffets but because I always do late seating, never get to partake of them! Not fair that only the people with main seating get to eat that gorgeous food:mad: Next time I am going to purposely NOT eat a full meal in the dining room the night of the buffet so I have room to eat:D

On my recent 5 day cruise we had 1 midnight buffet and while very nice to take pics of I was susprised at the mishandeling of the actual eating.

The main tables were set up in a 'U' shape and they allowed people to enter from both sides... this allowed all the people to bunch up at the center of the 'U' and then no one could move either way to get out. Plus the people acted like they'd not eaten the whole time on the ship, piling their plate full and taking things like 10 chocolate strawberries. I was really susprised that the staff didn't handel it better it really felt like a free for all with a bunch of famished pigs bumping and pushing to get the last roll.

I guess there are rude people in every group, 2 of us left with the combined total of 4 strawberries and 1 piece of cake.

We have stopped going to these buffets. It is hard to look at some people carting off HUGE quantities of food. Some carry off whole lobsters mounded on large plates. They look as though they have never eaten before. If I was a crew member who spent the day preparing such beautiful displays, I would be upset to see so many rude people grabbing everything within minutes of the buffet opening. The aftermath looks like a bomb went off.

I've taken photos of the midnight buffets but because I always do late seating, never get to partake of them! Not fair that only the people with main seating get to eat that gorgeous food:mad: Next time I am going to purposely NOT eat a full meal in the dining room the night of the buffet so I have room to eat:D

You really shouldn't feel too bad about it, the buffets always look a whole lot better than they taste. Even the chocolate buffets, not a real big deal. The few times I've gone, I've actually regretted waiting in line for the food.

I guess I prefer quality over quantity. The food was about as exciting as the deli salads at your local grocery store.

We have stopped going to these buffets. It is hard to look at some people carting off HUGE quantities of food. Some carry off whole lobsters mounded on large plates. They look as though they have never eaten before. If I was a crew member who spent the day preparing such beautiful displays, I would be upset to see so many rude people grabbing everything within minutes of the buffet opening. The aftermath looks like a bomb went off.

I'm sure they are used to it and probably see it every week, all year round:) :rolleyes:

usually do not patrake in the midnite buffets becuase we are still full from dinner that only ended 2 hrs before...may go thru for a piece of fruit and some ice tea but that's about it...i have never seen the chocolate one...does the AOS have one...we sail 3-18-07...

I agree with mikeblum. We also had late seating on our last cruise and were simply too full to eat anything at the midnight buffet. We took pictures of the elaborate presentation, but couldn't even force ourselves to take even one bite. On our next cruise, we are going to obt for main seating and will definitely be there to sample some of the foods at the midnight buffet. BTW, our last cruise was 7-nights aboard the Summit and there was just one midnight buffet. Not sure if there was a chocolate midnight buffet or not. If there was, we missed it.

The gala midnight buffet is pretty spectacular to look at but don't expect the food to be better, or even comparible, to the regular dining room food. On our last cruise aboard Serenade we didn't even bother to go look at it. We were busy with other things and didn't want to stop just to go stand in a line of people. Though it is just my opinion, I would bet that people who cruise multiple times are probably less interested in the activity than the newer cruisers might be.

The buffets that they have up on deck, usually two, are fun and we usually get a bite to eat.

You really shouldn't feel too bad about it, the buffets always look a whole lot better than they taste. Even the chocolate buffets, not a real big deal. The few times I've gone, I've actually regretted waiting in line for the food.

I guess I prefer quality over quantity. The food was about as exciting as the deli salads at your local grocery store.

Yep, I agree with that! I take pictures of the display, and may eat a shrimp finger sandwich, but am not hungry. Once I eat the small sandwich, that usually reminds me that the taste is really nothing extraordinary--but I do think the display is!

Archived