20 people arrested in Jamaica

crusinmama22

Just spoke to my daughter on the Dawn. She told me they 20 people did not make the ship from Jamaica -- they got arrested!

Several others just in front of her were detained and searched.

Did not see anything like this on the boards. She'll be home tonight and I'll get the whole story.

They warn you about Jamaica -- What happened to "JUST SAY NO" ?

I would assume durgs. Why else would 20 young people be arrested in Jamaica ?

My daughter just called me from Penn Station, and she did not want to talk about it there -- she said she would give me the details later.

I understand that the locals were all over you asking if you wanted to buy something, a lot of the shop owners were doing the same.

My brother who is 49 was on the same ship and he seemed to think it was the shop owners selling then turning you in to the police.

Like I said I will post the details as I find them out.

But, to all those who have thought about this -- maybe you should not !

Hope they all get home !

Considering it is Jamaica, would assume they were caught with the "evil weed"

Oh yeah. That would be the most obvious reason. It would explain the group search.

Didn't anyone ever watch Midnight Express?? :eek: You just don't mess around in a foreign country.

Guest BeckyThane
My brother who is 49 was on the same ship and he seemed to think it was the shop owners selling then turning you in to the police.

I had heard rumor of this as well when I was there last August on the Crown Princess. The rumor was not specific that it was shop owners, tho, just said the sellers were getting kick-backs from the cops for turning-in buyers.

....just said the sellers were getting kick-backs from the cops for turning-in buyers.
Some of the dealers do report to the police. I don't know if the sellers are cops or not, but buyers being turned in by sellers is not unheard of in Jamaica. Why someone would risk winding up in a 3rd world jail just for a high is beyond me.

I know "American Kids" go there to get on a high! How stupid...I just hope they stay for a long time in jail! Theire own fault!!! And now the mamas stard crying about theire babies, they totally know ,what could happen...they are criminals!

May be true - but you are a little harsh about their moms - in the end they are their moms and of course would cry abnout their babies.

Still - stupid on the kids part.......

Where does it say young people??? :confused: Where does it say drugs???:confused: I can think of a few other things they could have been arrested for---murder, fire setting, assault, maybe something happened on the ship. Where can we find the info not second hand???:confused:

Sorry but if they were young people, why didn't their moms teach them to say no. In a way, it comes down to parents responsiblity to teach their children the correct way to live and respect the laws of the USA and other countries.

I know "American Kids" go there to get on a high! How stupid...I just hope they stay for a long time in jail! Theire own fault!!! And now the mamas stard crying about theire babies, they totally know ,what could happen...they are criminals!

"Stay a long time in jail"???? A little harsh dont you think? Yeah, sounds like they really messed up, but if they are kids, thats what kids do, they mess up. Youth is the time that most of us did some rather dumb things. And it sounds like you would rather just brand them as criminals and let them rot in jail...just for getting high. Yeah, what they probably did sounds pretty dumb and they are in trouble for it, will probably have to pay fines before they can go home. I would guess that the gov't there is also pretty corrupt and they could have been likely set-up. So they will pay the price for their mistakes, but "a long time in jail"?? Pleeeeez, we are not talking about violent criminals here, just some likely pot smokers who exercised extremely poor judgement and got caught. Save us all your narrow judgements about people.

Where does it say young people??? :confused: Where does it say drugs???:confused: I can think of a few other things they could have been arrested for---murder, fire setting, assault, maybe something happened on the ship. Where can we find the info not second hand???:confused:
</p>Exactly! I'm not that naive, i mean its Jamaica, the obvious assumption is Mary Jane -- but the OP mentioned nothing about it at all..... isn't that how rumors get started? :-P

It's still second hand information (hearsay), it is still the parents that will have to post bond and fly their little angels home. If parents would/could teach their children there are consequences to their bad activities... stop trying to avoid the real issues.:mad:

My teen years were spent in SoCal during the Sixties---said no to drugs, said no to the free sex attitude, had many friends, had great parents that taught me there would be consequences to my actions. No bad parents for me, but I will say, bad parents for those kids arrested for drugs in Jamaica.

dwist

You are right -- it did not say young people it said "20 people" It did not say "American Kids" either to the other poster.

Ok maybe it is hearsay -- since I did not see that personally -- however I have no reason to doubt my daughter or my brother !

Again just trying to give info to our cruise critic friends so that they can pass the info along to their friend and maybe "young friends" !

Sorry if your feathers got ruffed up !

Guest BeckyThane
In a way, it comes down to parents responsiblity to teach their children the correct way to live and respect the laws of the USA and other countries.

Then you'll appreciate this one...

My manicurist on the Crown Princess, who happened to be from Ocho Rios, related this story to me as we sat in port, in Ocho Rios. She said that on the previous cruise some young adult, traveling with his parents, decided to make a buy and got caught. Parents left him money to pay his fine, but then got on the ship and sailed away, leaving him to suffer the consequences of his actions. Talk about tough love! But I applaud these parents... it seems too many nowadays are taking the party line, "What?! Not MY darling child! He/she would NEVER do anything like THAT!" PULEEZ.

BTW, the same source told me that the offending parties are held in jail overnight, appear in court the next day, pay a fine, and are forbidden from returning to Jamaica for a very long (unspecified) period of time.

First of all, you have no knowledge of the nationality of any of the people involved. The last time I checked, cruise ships carried people from all over the planet. And the last time I checked, Americans weren't the only people who smoke pot.

Secondly, before you refer to anyone as stupid, you ought to check your post for spelling and gramatical errors.

As far as staying in jail for a long time, the average penalty in the US and Canada for a first offense Marijuana possession is a $100 fine, the max penalty in most states is a year in jail (rarely used). Of course, the penalty for sales/trafficing is much harsher, as it should be, so I sure in all equity that you'd advocate long prison sentences for the individuals who are selling to us in Jamaica (yeah, sure).

As far as bad parents are concerned, I think it's safe to aknowledge that most, if not all of us, have done things in our youthful stupidity that our parents would not have endorsed, likely warned us not to do and the only reason we never saw the inside of a jail/morgue/etc is dumb luck.

I feel bad for anyone who gets busted on vacation for essentially a victimless crime, but you choose, you lose. Nancy Reagen was right! ;)

Is the daughter home yet? What are the details? Are there any details? Were people really arrested? Or did she hear it from someone at dinner who heard it from the crew who.... so on and so on. Did she have first hand knowledge you can relay and let us know?

She is home. And yes people were arrested. She saw them getting loaded into several police cars.

When she got back to the pier, she had to go through the Jamaica police who passed most, but some were detained, searched then "arrested" they were put in police cars and taken away.

The group to which my daughter referred to as "college students", were very upset, one girl was crying and one was put in a police car. THe others were talking "we can't leave him and we have to get him out no matter what it takes" One said hurry we have to get to the room, get the passports, and money oh I hope it is only $600. because that is all we have ! the other girl said well my parents will wire money but we have to get him out.

That is what they witnessed on the way onto the ship.

Being this is the last port for the Dawn -- I don't know, nor does she what really happened after the ship sailed.

She did see two of the 4 people detained later in the cruise - but did not want to ask what happened to the others.

I just wanted to get the word out to other cruisers so that they can tell their friends, daughters, sons etc. A little word before the cruise could save some hard times later.

In the US, the tactic called 'entrapment' is not legal, or so I understand. A cop can't ask you to buy drugs or engage in _ _ _. They can dance around the issue....but can't be direct about it. (people who get caught in the US are REALLY trying)

According to the people who came to brief my crews in the islands....not so in most of the islands....say yes to an "officer"; heck HINT yes, and they have a bust.... Let me introduce you to a judiciary system OUTSIDE the states.....

Having testified in courts in "the islands" all I can say is you DO NOT want to go there :eek:

why didn't their moms teach them to say no. In a way, it comes down to parents responsiblity to teach their children the correct way to live and respect the laws of the USA and other countries.

Coming from a mom of 3 teens, i would not blame this on the parents, I did teach my kids to say no, respect others and respect the law but they do screw up sometimes, all we can do is teach them right from wrong and hope they listen, if infact it was young people that were detained.

Archived