Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

[quote name='SuzyQCruise']
I read about lifeboats obscuring balcony views way back in this forum, but didn't note where or what deck they were...anyone have that info?[/quote]

The lifeboats are recessed into the ship on deck four on the Conquest. They are not an obstruction. Perhaps you were reading about the Spirit class ships where they do block the view from some balconies.

I'm not that good at writing extensive reviews but I would more than happy to respond to Conquest questions from time to time. I just got off the FEB 8 - 15 Carnival Conquest in Galveston.

BTW....had a terrific time with my wife and two children!

[quote name='Rebgen']I'm not that good at writing extensive reviews but I would more than happy to respond to Conquest questions from time to time. I just got off the FEB 8 - 15 Carnival Conquest in Galveston.

BTW....had a terrific time with my wife and two children![/quote]

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I have some questions if you don't mind.

What new things did they add after drydock?

Did you get a soda card? How much?

What do you like most about the Conquest?

Do you have any Capers you can post?

Thanks, Kay

[quote name='Rebgen']I'm not that good at writing extensive reviews but I would more than happy to respond to Conquest questions from time to time. I just got off the FEB 8 - 15 Carnival Conquest in Galveston.

BTW....had a terrific time with my wife and two children![/QUOTE]

Have you been on the Conquest before? What did you like best about it and what did you like least?

Thanks for the info!

elizabeth

[quote name='coupleofcops']I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I have some questions if you don't mind.

What new things did they add after drydock?

Did you get a soda card? How much?

What do you like most about the Conquest?

Do you have any Capers you can post?

Thanks, Kay[/quote]

The only thing that stood out to me was the addition of the Theater by the Sea big screen on the Lido deck. This was my first time on the Conquest and overall I was very pleased with the decor and fit and finish. The carpet did not look brand new and my room 1409 had the old CRT TV....which was fine.

My wife purchased a soda card/souvenier mug for $47. We probably broke even.

The two things I appeciated the most were 1) The staff was excellent. Everyone from the room stewards, dining room staff, purser's desk, etc were extremely helpful and had positive attitudes. It was consistent thoughout the ship every where I went. Someone is doing something right in training at Carnival.
2) The entertainment and shows exceeded my expectations. I based my expectations on the lousy shows I attended on AOTS Royal Caribbean cruise last FEB 08. I don't normally enjoy shows involing lots of dancing and singing but Carnival did a bang up job. The magic show featuring Madam Helliva?sp was the best all week....absolutely fantastic.

I have all of the capers but I'm not sure how to post them. I may just send them to one of you who would be willing to post them. I touch base with anyone who sends me a PM.

[quote name='gwinel']Have you been on the Conquest before? What did you like best about it and what did you like least?

Thanks for the info!

elizabeth[/quote]

The best: Consistently good service thoughout the ship. Entertainment was excellent....great shows.

The least: Having CNN blaring on the big screen every morning dumping all of the crappy news I originally took a vacation to escape. The big screen is fine....they just have to learn how to utilize it better. I took my coffee and escaped the the back of the boat to have my coffee.

[quote name='Rebgen']The best: Consistently good service thoughout the ship. Entertainment was excellent....great shows.

The least: Having CNN blaring on the big screen every morning dumping all of the crappy news I originally took a vacation to escape. The big screen is fine....they just have to learn how to utilize it better. I took my coffee and escaped the the back of the boat to have my coffee.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that does sound a bit annoying with CNN but maybe I can sleep in and I will send my hubby to watch TV on the big screen, and use it in my favor!
Thanks for your updates!!

Cant wait to go....just went in December and so dying to see if I can spot any other updates.....

[quote name='232271']
Cant wait to go....just went in December and so dying to see if I can spot any other updates.....[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it, consensus seems to be they slathered on some paint, put up a giant noise box on the lido deck and that's it. :( No new carpet, bedding, tv's, etc.

Did they at least actually put in the Mongolian Grill as indicated on the deck plans?

[quote name='ADD Boy']Don't count on it, consensus seems to be they slathered on some paint, put up a giant noise box on the lido deck and that's it. :( No new carpet, bedding, tv's, etc.

Did they at least actually put in the Mongolian Grill as indicated on the deck plans?[/quote]

Mongolian Grill was up and running. I thought I would use it more...only ate there twice. Food was okay but nothing to get too excited over. The Chicken Kung Pao was pretty good.

The pannini sandwich window on the opposite side of the same deck had some good grilled sandwiches. The reuben was excellent.

[quote name='Rebgen']Mongolian Grill was up and running. I thought I would use it more...only ate there twice. Food was okay but nothing to get too excited over. The Chicken Kung Pao was pretty good.

The pannini sandwich window on the opposite side of the same deck had some good grilled sandwiches. The reuben was excellent.[/quote]

that sounds as if you are talking about pc wok, not the mongolian grill

If the mongolian grill was there, it was a well-kept secret. I looked all over, including the area where it is shown on the deck plans.

They replaced the floor tile in the lido buffet. The new floor is not as slippery as the old one, but the contractor did a sloppy job; the floor looked filthy because of grout stains all over the floor (including grout-colored shoe prints). The crew was cleaning a section each night, so parts were starting to look good by the end of the cruise.

The floor and tables on the aft lido were also grubby, with dried paint splatters and varnish stains. Don't know if this was from work during the drydock or if these were old stains.

I don't know if they refurbished any cabins, but ours definitely wasn't. The carpet was tired and the couch had a tear in the upholstery.

Several electronic things weren't working, including the bow cam, the bridge channel, the lighted route map (on the promenade) and the kiosk at the future cruise desk. They got the route map and the bridge channel working on the last afternoon of the cruise.

[quote name='Rebgen']I have all of the capers but I'm not sure how to post them. I may just send them to one of you who would be willing to post them. I touch base with anyone who sends me a PM.[/quote]

Wasn't sure how to PM you, you can email me at [EMAIL="cdufffspd@hotmail.com"]cdufffspd@hotmail.com[/EMAIL].

[quote name='coupleofcops']Wasn't sure how to PM you, you can email me at [EMAIL="cdufffspd@hotmail.com"]cdufffspd@hotmail.com[/EMAIL].[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you can PM on this site. I think I remember someone posting in a thread somewhere that you cannot. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='Rebgen']Mongolian Grill was up and running. I thought I would use it more...only ate there twice. Food was okay but nothing to get too excited over. The Chicken Kung Pao was pretty good.

The pannini sandwich window on the opposite side of the same deck had some good grilled sandwiches. The reuben was excellent.[/QUOTE]

there is an Asain grill INSIDE the buffet area, is this what you mean?:confused:

the MONGOLIAN grill is supposed to be outside by the pool opposite side from the burger grill...... you would pick you food and they would grill it for you......it should not be premade food.:confused: Edited by 232271

[quote name='232271']there is an Asain grill INSIDE the buffet area, is this what you mean?:confused:

The MONGOLIAN grill is supposed to be outside by the pool opposite side from the burger grill...... you would pick you food and they would grill it for you......it should not be premade food.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Deck plan on Carnival website shows "Mongolian" on starboard side of Lido deck just aft of the starboard side Sun Bar. I have yet to see a post drydock review that confirms they actually built this!

I am starting to think Carnival scaled back their original refurb plans to just mechanical drydock issues and a bit of paint; plus the Lido deck screen that no one seems to be happy with!

I say lose the screen and bring back the live music!!

All that being said, I am a happy cruiser and will still have a good time!!

[quote name='ADD Boy']Deck plan on Carnival website shows "Mongolian" on starboard side of Lido deck just aft of the starboard side Sun Bar. I have yet to see a post drydock review that confirms they actually built this!

I am starting to think Carnival scaled back their original refurb plans to just mechanical drydock issues and a bit of paint; plus the Lido deck screen that no one seems to be happy with!

I say lose the screen and bring back the live music!!

All that being said, I am a happy cruiser and will still have a good time!![/quote]

a friend told me that there is not a mongolian grill on board. It may be an issue where they are still kinda working it in??

There is still live music and the stage is now right below the big screen TV. so you get both.

[quote name='232271']there is an Asain grill INSIDE the buffet area, is this what you mean?:confused:

the MONGOLIAN grill is supposed to be outside by the pool opposite side from the burger grill...... you would pick you food and they would grill it for you......it should not be premade food.:confused:[/quote]

I think you're right. I just wasn't paying close attention. First time on the Conquest and assumed asian=Mongolian.......all food was pre-made and served on request.

Definitely sounds like all of the anticipated upgrades didn't materialize....at least not yet.

Either way our family had a terrific first cruise together. The only concern my 12 and 10 year olds had was that the ice cream machine was in good working order and the pizza ovens kept cranking out the pies!:D Edited by Rebgen

I accepted an upsell offer from Carnival today, upgraded to a balcony cabin on the Spa deck. I could not find information about what the cabins look like after drydock. Has there been anything posted about the Spa deck?

[quote name='Kaki']I accepted an upsell offer from Carnival today, upgraded to a balcony cabin on the Spa deck. I could not find information about what the cabins look like after drydock. Has there been anything posted about the Spa deck?[/quote]

the spa deck was the recipient of the most attention during dry dock. All the OV cabins were turned into balcony cabins. If any of the rooms got the flat screen TVs it would have been these cabins. the rest of the spa deck was overhauled as well.

• 2 weeks later...
The multiple reports about CNN being blared on the big screen on the Lido are starting to worry me. I hope with the ear buds of my iPod fully inside my ears at full blast, I can drown it out with some actual cruise music.

[quote name='Cruise Cat']The multiple reports about CNN being blared on the big screen on the Lido are starting to worry me. I hope with the ear buds of my iPod fully inside my ears at full blast, I can drown it out with some actual cruise music.[/quote]

That doesn't sound good, I don't want news on my cruise!:rolleyes: