I Wrote to Williams

baruby47

I can understand why there is a corkage fee for people who bring their own wine to the dining room. At the same time, I find it to be very frustrating when our travel agent sends a "gift" of wine that is delivered to our cabin, and then we have to pay a corkage fee to drink it.

So is this for wine sent to the room? Because I had 2 bottles sent to me on Century 6/5 (to the dining room) and there was no charge.

I can't remember where I read it, but it was on these boards....travel agent had sent a bottle, they took it to the dining room and were charged...same thing..someone won a bottle, took it to the dining room and were charged.

Our TA sends a bottle to the dining room not to the room so that we don't have to pay a corkage fee. I think most TA's know this. If not, you should inform your TA = maybe with a slight hint like "I have to remember to let my son(daughter, mother, or sister, etc) that they should send our bon voyage bottle to the dining room instead of to the room like last cruise. It cost us an extra $XX dollars for corkage to drink it with dinner."

Our TA sends a bottle to the dining room not to the room so that we don't have to pay a corkage fee. I think most TA's know this. If not, you should inform your TA = maybe with a slight hint like "I have to remember to let my son(daughter, mother, or sister, etc) that they should send our bon voyage bottle to the dining room instead of to the room like last cruise. It cost us an extra $XX dollars for corkage to drink it with dinner."

Thats right. It should go to the dining room in the form of a credit in case you do not like the wine that your TA picked for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. In our case the bottle of wine from the travel agent was sent to our cabin and we brought it to the dining room. That is probably why our "gift" was subject to a corkage fee.

So pay it....enjoy the gift bottle of wine and don't let $20 become such a big deal...if it bothers you too much, have the free bottles sent to my table and I will gladly pay the fee :rolleyes: .

When the wine steward informs us that we have a free bottle he always allows us to put the value towards another wine that we would prefer...it usually means adding another 15-20 dollars to the bill...

I have no problem with the $20 fee as this practice (bringing your own wine) takes money from the cruise line and as importantly takes wages away from the wine steward. We all need to make a living...cruise lines, cruise patrons and cruise staff...

I have no problem paying the corkage fee for any wine that I bring onboard. However, when you receive a gift of wine from your TA and they set up the gift through Celebriy but send it to the room so that you have to pay the corkage fee, well that is ridiculus. After all, they did get a commission on my cruise and then I would have to pay extra for their gift! What kind of gift is that?

Personally, we buy our wine for dinner from the wine list. They have a wonder spatlese that is quite good. And a few of the other choices from the sommelier were excellent also. I can drink my wine at home - why lug the bottles and risk breakage.

If wine is sent to your room and was ordered thru Celebrity you should not have to pay a corkage fee as price is same as dinning room. Be sure to let them know in dinning room and you should not be charged provided the gift was ordered thru Celebrity.

So pay it....enjoy the gift bottle of wine and don't let $20 become such a big deal...if it bothers you too much, have the free bottles sent to my table and I will gladly pay the fee :rolleyes: .

When the wine steward informs us that we have a free bottle he always allows us to put the value towards another wine that we would prefer...it usually means adding another 15-20 dollars to the bill...

I have no problem with the $20 fee as this practice (bringing your own wine) takes money from the cruise line and as importantly takes wages away from the wine steward. We all need to make a living...cruise lines, cruise patrons and cruise staff...

I for one am really tired of Danno's "sarcastic" posts.

Tired of his posts, sarcastic, or however you choose to interpret them.

I think he makes a very VALID point. Specifically 'Dont let $20 become such a big deal'

We pay hundreds (thousands) for our cruise and yet we can get silly over 20 bucks.

I'm not diminishing the value of a dollar but really, come on.

Personally I think that everyone who jumps to the conclusion that the poster is complaining about the charge is doing just that jumping to conclusions, I think the poster is complaining about the unfairness of paying a corkage fee for a bottle of wine purchased through Celebrity...they do not charge a corkage fee for a bottle purchased in the D.R. same thing as a gift of wine purchased through celebrity...it really is the principal of the thing, not the cost.

All of you posters who's replys are always "quit compaining or whining and pay the fee" are exactly why Celebrity and all other cruise lines keep tacking these fees on to one thing or another, they love people like you.

To each his own, but personally I would bring the unfairness of this charge to the attention of someone and I would bet there would be no charge, so those of you with all of those extra $20 to spend for no reason just keep doing it that is your choice....personally it is not mine....and it is not because I don't have the extra $20 it is just that what is right is right!

I had one of my two bottles converted to diet cokes on my last cruise...nobody charged me to pop the tab :D ....drank the bottle of wine without paying a fee by taking it to the lounge and they opened it for me... ;)

We had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our stateroom from our TA. We had each had a glass of champagne handed to us as we boarded, so we left a note for the room steward to have the bottle sent to the 2nd nite dinner. We shared it with our new tablemates...there were no fees involved.

Ilive in south Jersey and dine often.Their is no corkage fee in Philly and Iknow that 20 is high even by NYC standards

It seems to me that the original poster was complaining about the fee, period. There was no qualifier in the OP regarding gifts sent by TA's or others.

The notion of a fee applied to gifts received was brought up entirely by someone else. And others have refuted this as incorrect. Case in point from the following post:

"Originally Posted by hajekfam

Our TA sends a bottle to the dining room not to the room so that we don't have to pay a corkage fee. I think most TA's know this

"

Archived