Live from the Sun - Jan. 19-29, 2007

PescadoAmarillo

Hi There,

Thanks for keeping us posted, overall I agree with you that the Sun is a nice ship has some very good things and some things which are not so good, some things need to be better. But to those who complain about the ship I think they have got things wrong, if you go wanting a good cruise you will have a good cruise OK things go wrong and sometimes you need just to smile rather than say anything.

I sent Princess a letter after my cruise pointing out the good the bad and the ugly, I got a reply back saying that they do like to here first hand accounts of there cruises.

If you have the time why not drop them a letter, and see what reply you get.

Thanks again for your live posts and I liked your Shogun evening

yours Shogun

What a great final review!! I can't wait now until it is my turn to be on the Sun. We go in 29 days. As far as the buffet is concerned, all my daughters want is buns and shaved ham. If they have that, it will be considered a success. Otherwise, bring on the sun and sand. Overall, it sounds like the best way for you to have a great time was to travel will a positive attitude and I hope I can do the same. I figure if someone else is making my bed, making my meals and doing the driving, that is a holiday!

Try to stay warm and have fun making up your memory album.

Dolores

Shogun and PescadoAmarillo - thanks for the excellent "live" posts. You both had me checking 2 and 3 times a day just to see what was happening. We go in 4 weeks on the Southern trip and have been looking forward to it for a year. No free internet yet for us, but maybe one of our CC group will be able to post "live" just to continue the tradition. Thanks once again for taking the time to do this.

I noticed I overlooked a couple of questions, and forgot to mention two follow up items.

First, Janet Edwards is not a full time CD. She is an events coordinator in Las Vegas and LA. But she trains the cruise staffs for Princess, and fills in as a CD. She is the best, but I don't think we can hope for our paths to cross again. In fact, she received about a week's notice to fill in on our cruise.

We picked up a real estate book in St. Thomas, but didn't meet with a realtor. It was so darn hot on the island that it wilted our energies a bit. Kbear...what's going on with your timeshare?

The Jimmy Buffet singalong guy from the first cruise was actually (I later found out) an entertainer from the Wheelehouse bar (which tell you we never went in there). He disembarked after our first cruise, and there was no Jimmy Buffet singalong on the second cruise.

I never saw Key Lime Pie on the menu in the dining room or in the buffet. We did miss one menu in the DR on both cruises (the second sea day), so it may have been on that one. And we didn't usually go to lunch in the DR on port days, so it may have been an option on one of those menus.

My favorite dessert was the warm berry crumble thing on the landfall menu, which is perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And the white chocolate mousse in the buffet during the Italian buffet lunch.

Something else we really appreciated on these cruises...no hard sell, in fact, no selling at all in the dining room. We encountered that on our Grand Princesses cruises and didn't appreciate it. We did have photographers blocking up the gangway with photo taking, but we always declined and that was the end of it.

6" more new snow today...I wish I was on the Sun!

Hi Jeannie – You did a great job on both "Live from" threads.:D Felt like we were right there with you. Loved your review and glad you made your non-stop flight home.

Where are you off to next? Did you say that you were going on the "Tahitian" soon?

I have my fingers crosses that everything works out and you'll be sailing with us next year. Still have you on the Who's Who for the 2008 Sapphire KOALA cruise.

Hope you don't get hit with too much snow. We're expecting some snow starting tomorrow. It's predicted to start as snow, and then change to sleet & freezing rain before changing to all rain. We'll have to see. So far this season, we've been fortunate to be just outside those areas receiving any bad weather.

Say hi to Greg and hope to see you both in Sydney.

Take care, Lorraine:)

Hi - what deck has the odor? My clients are sailing in March on the Sun in Cabin R345 - Is it noisy on Riviera Deck? I have sailed on other ships with cabins on the deck with the pool and it was not noisy - and very convenient. Has anyone had a problem with those cabins?

We've been on the Riviera deck before on the Sun (for a Caribbean cruise) and we found the cabin quiet and conveniently located to both the pool and the Horizon court (plus close to the forward elevators for access to everthing else down in the Atrium.

We're on the Riviera again in 27 days. Can't wait!

Hi - what deck has the odor? My clients are sailing in March on the Sun in Cabin R345 - Is it noisy on Riviera Deck? I have sailed on other ships with cabins on the deck with the pool and it was not noisy - and very convenient. Has anyone had a problem with those cabins?

We spoke with someone in a Riviera Deck balcony cabin, and they said they did hear minor kitchen prep clanging a bit early in the morning, but only if they were already a bit awake.

We had the sewage odor near cabin A707, which was the culprit in our corridor, but also heard of reports on other decks. Even our issue, which was fairly significant on the first cruise, had gone away by midway through the second.

Isn't Rui a stitch? And, yes, the Maitre D' is also a Rui from Portugal, but Rui the waiter was one of our 2 favorites.

Hi Lorraine...still trying to get to Antarctica this month, but am starting to give up hope. Next cruise will be in the Galapagos on a small ship; next Princess cruise will be Mexican Riviera next January and then either TP or Emerald Princess in February. I am trying to talk someone into doing the Sapphire with me (Greg says it's too long a cruise....imagine...too LONG a cruise?!? I didn't know such a thing existed! :D ). Hi to Tom, and hope you are both doing great!

I checked out some of the properties listed on the Website and I think that they are 3 to 4 star properties. Well, maybe 4 star is pressing the issue. So we are trying to cancel at this time. Maybe we will buy one some time in the future when I can do proper research before the purchase. We get those weekend offers all the time, so maybe we will try one of those.

The last I heard from the Agent is he was going to get on the cancellation. Yea right, I am holding my breathe. As of right now, no credit on my account. I am going to send him a note tonight.

Thank you so much for your great review. I join all those who have told you (and those who haven't) just how much you have added to the anticipation of our upcoming cruise - and as they say, anticipation is half the pleasure. ;)

Archived