Pride of Hawaii Review (in parts) - 12/11/06

beachchick

As reported, the design was changed so that the private sundeck is only on the port side. I know several people have been disappointed, but we thought it was a fine size. True, you couldn’t go out there to see the starboard lava viewing, but that’s not enough reason to make it the major complaint.

How do "regular" (non-suite) people access that public sundeck on the starboard side? I thought you said that you need a card to access Decks 14 and 15?

Beachchick: Wow----------this review is MORE than incredible and I'm lovin' the ride through Hawaii and cruisin' the POH through your review!!

As you already know (you've been very sweet to answer other some of my other inquiries on various threads), we're cruising POH 6/4/07. I have a question about your section on dining. You mention that you attended the VIP Cocktail Reception which was on Tuesday. This would have been after your day in Hilo, right? It sounded like you ate dinner before the cocktail party (b/c of your reference to sticking to champagne since that was what you'd had at dinner), so what time was the cocktail party? I'm just trying to figure out our dining venues and times ahead so that when we get on there won't be too much confusion. I know on our Jewel cruise they were ready to take our dining reservations in the VIP room as soon as we got on and I was clueless. It was just a bit chaotic trying to figure out which nights we wanted to do what b/c I had not planned ahead. I want to have time to eat, go to the cocktail party and get a spot for the lava viewing. We're on the starboard side on deck 11.................do you think we'd be better off to go up on a public deck or can we have a good viewing from the balconies?

Thanks (mahalo!!) in advance for taking the time to answer all these questions!! :p

Tracey

Actually, we had dinner after the party, so I misspoke. I should have said that I was going to have champagne (remainder of bottle from previous night) with dinner. The party was (now don't quote me because it's been a while) between 6:15 and 7:15. We went right to dinner from there and finished with just enough time to scoot back up, change clothes, get our binocs and camera ready, and head up to deck 13 for viewing--and even then, we were "late" because almost all the viewing on the starboard side was already full. Lava came into distant view at about 9 or so, but really good viewing started about 9:45, and lasted until at least 11 because the captain turns the ship and cruises back.

You can get excellent viewing from your balcony, but could certainly go up to the higher decks if you want. You might want to stay on your balcony until the captain turns the ship and then hop up to deck 13 or 14 (or the Freestyle sundeck on 15) for the port side viewing. We had excellent port side viewing from our balcony.

beachchick

How do "regular" (non-suite) people access that public sundeck on the starboard side? I thought you said that you need a card to access Decks 14 and 15?

You do need a your card to access the deck 14 courtyard from the elevators (midship is the only one that goes there) or from the midship stairs (also the only stairs that go up to the deck 14 courtyard entrance). Those are the only entrances to the courtyard and courtyard sundeck (courtyard pax take stairs at one end of the courtyard to get up to the private sundeck port side on deck 15).

The forward sundeck on deck 14 is accessed by exterior stairs from the deck 13 sundeck.

I have no idea how you access the deck 15 starboard side sundeck that's aft. For all I know, they've made it a crew sundeck or changed it to some other use. We could not get there from the courtyard or from the courtyard private sundeck. I think there was an emergency door, but that's all I remember. There may be aft exterior stairs up two decks from the sports court (deck 13 completely aft). Otherwise, I really have no clue.

beachchick

Well, I’ve come to the final installment of my Pride of Hawaii novel. We would definitely cruise with NCLA in the future (if the price is right). I think we would prefer PoH, but are certainly open to PoAl or PoAM as alternatives. We thought the PoH was well designed for her purpose. Being in a Courtyard Villa was really wonderful. Talk about special treatment! It truly is a “ship within a ship” experience. (I don’t know how we lucked out getting offered such an amazing upsell price, but I suppose in the end I don’t really care. We know we just happened to be the right call at the right time for the right price.)

What to expect: This is a different type of cruise itinerary, and PoH’s “personality” reflects that. If you cruise for the ship, then the Pride ships might not be for you. If you cruise Hawaii for Hawaii, then the Pride ships can be just the ticket. There is plenty to see and do as long as you don’t expect to have a dozen options for organized activities 24 hours a day, and as long as you are open to new experiences rather than having your mind set on what we’ve come to think of as the “traditional” cruise (which really is a fairly new phenomenon). The main attraction is Hawaii, rather than the “pamper me while I lounge around like royalty” style of itineraries with numerous sea days—and there is not a thing wrong with those either.

I have to admit that a couple of sea days would be a welcome addition simply because having a “down” day between the ports gives you a little breather from trying to do so much. OTOH, we really have to ration our “up” time anyway and plan down times regardless. There are some pax who relish the go-go-go all day, every day. However, it’s important to remember that an afternoon relaxing in Hawaii is not the same as an afternoon “resting” at home. It’s important to realize that you will not have sea days to just hang around the pool (or wherever). We saw so many pax who were overwhelmed with their port activities midway through the cruise. Those were not happy people, and many of them got pretty cranky as the week went on. :(

Overall, this is a very good way to get a little taste of each of the major islands. There is no way to “do it all” on a cruise; there’s no way to even do “most.” For that you need at least a week on each island. Even then you will really just scratch the surface of all there is to see and do (and not do). I can only recommend that you figure out which activities appeal to you most and do them fully; relish them instead of rushing from point A to point B to point C to point D to the point of exhaustion.

Although we prefer land trips, we enjoyed every day of our PoH cruise. It was amazing to have the evening lava viewing and the Na Pali coast afternoon, and we would not have been able to do those things in that way on a land trip. Truly, those two things alone make the Pride ships worth considering.

I have been somewhat astonished by those who have come back and complained that the itinerary has too much port time (no sea days), the crew isn’t “service” oriented enough, and/or that the onboard activities were lacking. It doesn’t matter if someone has been lucky enough to find CC in advance; I expect anyone who books a cruise to know what type of cruise it will be. There are numerous sources for gathering information: brochures, TAs, the cruise lines online sites, and of course other internet sites. The information is out there and there’s no excuse for someone complaining because they couldn’t be bothered to find out what they were “buying.” A few reviewers have even acknowledged that they did know in advance, but were unhappy anyway. That makes no sense to me. If this cruise isn’t your style, then you should look into others.

For us, attitude plays a big part in how much we enjoy any kind of trip. If you go in expecting to have a lousy cruise, then you probably will. If you go in expecting to have a good time, then you probably will. I’m not surprised to read some of the reviews that are just one negative after another because so often the reviewer will start by writing something like, “When we booked this cruise, we knew we were going to be disappointed with…” Well, that can certainly translate into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Some cruisers go into any cruise with what I consider unrealistic expectations based on fantasies like “The Love Boat” and other fictions. Some cruisers seem to blame the cruise lines if the weather is bad or a tour operator flakes out or any number of other things over which the cruise line has no control. I am certainly not defending poor performance or excusing NCLA for things that it can improve, and there are several areas where I feel they need to improve. But for the most part, the crew, service, food, and ship were delightful.

We don’t expect perfection and know that things will happen. So, we had a lousy experience at Cagney’s one night—that didn’t ruin our cruise and it didn’t translate to us thinking that the entire crew is bad. So, I got some ink on my shirt—the ship’s laundry staff took care of it. There were many little things that I thought could have been better, but there always are. I didn’t expect 5 star dining, but there was plenty to eat and most of it was fine. We’ve never had fully 5 star dining on any mass-market cruise line, so why would I complain that we didn’t have it on this one? I didn’t expect Broadway caliber entertainment either. We were disappointed in the shows (the poor quality lead singers, the pre-recorded tracks, and so forth), but we don’t go on a cruise just for the shows and could always find something else to do.

It’s very important to realize that there are differences between the US and international crews because so many of us only know the international crews and have come to expect a certain level of “servitude” in their behavior. Let’s face it; US employees do not have that mindset. However, that doesn’t mean they are less professional or that they care less about their work. Certainly there were crew members who I thought really shouldn’t have been working on a cruise ship, but you can find that on any cruise with any crew. Some crew members are obviously still learning their jobs, but that may resolve over time. I’m certain that some of the new employees wanted to work on a cruise ship based on those same fantasies that many pax have. The reality is much different, and the work is not for everyone. But I never did believe anyone who came back and reported that the entire crew was made up of lazy, rude, inefficient US citizens. It’s simply not true.:rolleyes:

Some final onboard suggestions:

Reservations for restaurants can be done at any of the restaurants, through the iTV service, or by phone. Don’t panic about making reservations for every night the very second you get onboard. Leave yourself a couple of nights without definite plans. And be flexible with your times. It’s unrealistic for anyone to expect that every single restaurant onboard will be able to accommodate every single pax who wants to eat there at any given moment. Logistically, that’s not possible. If you absolutely have to schedule dinner during the most popular times (6:30 to about 8:00), then realize that there may be 100s of other pax doing the same thing. Put a little give in your plans to avoid frustration. (Suite guests: Your concierge will be a valuable asset here because priority for most seating is one of the suite perks. I have to admit that I did not feel the least bit guilty about it either.):p

About wine corkage. The fee is $15 corkage per 750 ml bottle; yes the dailies specify “per 750 ml bottle,” so if you have a 3 liter box wine, you may be expected to fork over corkage equivalent to 4 bottles. You probably won’t, but that is technically what could happen. You’ll just need to take your chances. If you’ve paid corkage on a wine you want to bring to a restaurant, bring your receipt (just in case).

The suites and cabins have very good soundproofing. Of course it’s not perfect, so do be considerate of your neighbors. Honestly, we never heard a peep from next door unless we were all on the balcony at the same time.

The hours for all the restaurants, shops, activities, and so forth are listed in Freestyle Daily, and are not always the same from day to day. The dailies also list when and where the port talk will be each day.

The pool slide is open for a couple of hours in morning and again for few hours in afternoon. It is very popular, so expect a wait. Everyone, young and old, seemed to have a good time on it.

The hot tubs were kept at 104 degrees, which is pretty hot. They are much too hot for youngsters, so please don’t let your little ones “boil” away. Children are expected to be accompanied by adults. Do respect the hot tubs which have signs on them as “for adults only.” Actually, the hot tub temps are pretty hot for many people, so do be aware of overheating. The ship’s information on the cabin TVs lists the temps of the various pools and hot tubs throughout the day.

Some have asked about Monday night football: The answer is yes it was on in the Medusa lounge (in the afternoon, so I’m guessing live broadcast),

The lifeboat drill is held at a lousy time, but there is a make up session later—and you’d better not miss it because they took roll, and don’t forget to bring your life vest because you do have to put it on during the make up drill. (Just don’t blow the whistle—yuck!) This is one thing I wish NCL would rethink. It’s silly to have the drill mid-afternoon when departure isn’t until 8 pm. Many pax, such as DH and me, had checked in and then left the ship for a while. Others haven’t even checked in by then. Seems to me 6:30 or 7 would make more sense, but that’s just me.

A few suggestions for first-time Hawaii visitors: I can’t stress enough how important it is to learn and understand a little bit about Hawaii before you go there. Even though it is a state, it has its own identity and a culture that has been in place for centuries. The truth is that we sometimes forget that all 50 of our states have individual “personalities,” so to speak. Hawaii is separated by the Pacific and has maintained a great deal of its original self. The Revealed series of books is an excellent source of information, both about the islands and for planning your trip. The best way to not get treated like a mainland haole is to not act like one.:cool:

Hawaii is a state: Do not ever say “Back in the states” or “We came from the states” or “We don’t have this in the states.” Hawaii residents get understandably annoyed when visitors make such references. Instead, say “Back on the mainland” or “We’re from whatever-state-you’re-from” or “We don’t have this in our state.”

Language: Learn how to pronounce Hawaiian words properly. It takes a while to get the rhythms and inflections to flow smoothly, but doing so will go a long way with Hawaiian residents. My DH gave me lessons before my first visit. (He had spent quite a bit of time in the islands for work, but before he met me. Dang it!) He insisted that I learn proper pronunciation and expressions, and I’m really glad he did.

Respect the ancient religion and customs: It is true that missionaries irrevocably changed Hawaii when they converted much of the population. However, many Hawaiians consider both their ancient culture and their modern religion as equally valid. When you are told not to take home lava because it is kapu (forbidden), then don’t do it. It doesn’t matter whether Madame Pele is a part of your own religion, it only matters that you respect the Hawaiian culture as you would your own. (In fact, you might be surprised when you see Hawaiians leaving black sand beaches in particular. Many shake as much sand as possible off their towels, other items, and even shoes because lava is precious.)

Do not treat the native Hawaiian people as if they are “quaint” or “cute.” They are proud of their heritage and culture. (It’s perfectly acceptable to laugh at yourself as you learn to hula!) It’s customary to remove your shoes when entering any private home. Flip-flops are called slippers, and many (including me) have some just for indoor use.

Public beaches and alcohol: It is illegal to drink alcohol on the public beaches in Hawaii. There will not be vendors coming by trying to sell you things all day either. All beaches in Hawaii are public beaches, but sometimes you have to hunt for the public access. Almost all resorts allow only their own guests to use the umbrellas, lounges, and cabanas on the beach in front of the resorts because the beach is public, but the resort property is not. Sometimes some resorts will rent to the general public, especially during the slightly slower times. There are also more kiosks along some of the resort beaches that rent chairs, umbrellas, and gear. Some of the beaches even have lounges available in stacks for everyone to enjoy. And you can always pull up your mat or towel and plop yourself down pretty much anywhere on the beach. (There are some surf spots where the locals are very territorial. That’s not uncommon where we live either, so I think it must be a surfer thing.)

Day passes/day rooms: Hotels and resorts in Hawaii generally do not sell day passes or rent day rooms. Those that do, do not necessarily do so at all times. The resorts that do sometimes sell day passes usually charge a pretty substantial fee. (I recall the Grand Wailea on Maui at one time charging $300 for a day pass for a family of four. That’s practically the cost of a room.)

Beach facilities: Most official beach parks have restrooms and outdoor cold rinse-off showers. Almost all the beachfront hotels and resorts have rinse-off showers at the edge of the beach. (Some of them have signs that they’re for guests only, but it’s really not a problem unless you stand there for 10 minutes while guests wait.) There are very few indoor regular warm water showers available to the public. When you read a book that mentions "showers" at a beach or beach park, it's the outdoor cold ones they're talking about. Trilogy (I think that’s the right name) has kiosks on many of the beaches fronting resorts. They do have rentals (chairs, umbrellas, some gear) for the general public. You will not find these kiosks at most beach parks, but there are stands at some (such as Kahalu’u in Kona).

In general, the windward (east) beaches are not going to be your best bet for snorkeling, swimming, and just hanging out because they are, well, windy and can be very rough. The leeward (west) beaches are usually where you will find the best snorkeling, swimming, and most of the beach resorts. This is a general rule of thumb, but there are exceptions (especially depending upon the time of year). For example, Kailua Beach on Oahu is on the east side, but it is one of the finest swimming beaches on the islands—all year. We spent an afternoon relaxing and swimming there in December even though Hanuama Bay was “snowy” with white caps that day. There are very few good beaches within walking distance of any of the piers. You will need transportation of some kind. And snorkel excursion companies will not shuttle from the pier when it involves significant distance. For example, on Maui the excursions leave from the west side locations of Ma’alaea, Lahaina, or Kihei—all of which are across the island from Kahului.

Weather: Yes, it will almost certainly rain somewhere at some point during your trip. It doesn’t matter what time of year you go, there is no season where it “won’t” rain. The green parts of Hawaii, the waterfalls, and the lush rain forests aren’t there by chance. It’s absolutely amazing to see lush greenery growing amidst the black and barren lava fields on the BI or the striated reds and greens on Kauai.

The rainier season is typically December through March, but last April was amazingly wet, as was last October. There are no guarantees. OTOH, December through April is whale season, and those whales are a sight to see. June through September can be quite hot, especially if the trade winds take a break. Our favorite months are April, May, October, and November, but we have visited at all times of the year and have never been unhappy with any trip.

Also remember that it rains more on the windward sides and in the mountains. For example, Hilo usually has well over 100 inches of rain per year, whereas the Kohala coast might have an average of 10 inches. Locals will remind you that the weather is probably mo’ bettah if you drive 20 minutes down the road (or across the island).

Although winter months are cooler, all temperature ranges are relative. The average highs do not vary more than 10 degrees year round; ditto with most of the lows. However, you might hit a “cold snap” where the lows might go into the 50s, but that’s not usual. If you plan on going to any of the summits, you’ll need jackets and other cool weather gear, especially if you are going to the summit of Mauna Kea. The sunrise at Haleakala may be gorgeous, but it’s also very cold.

Water temps range from the high 70s to the mid 80s, with October having the warmest waters. My DH uses a lightweight, short-sleeved wetsuit top (not a shortie suit, just a top) in Hawaii pretty much year round. I did have a few “get used to the water” moments this December, but am usually fine.

The ocean and other water: You must respect the power of the ocean. This cannot be stressed too much. Even those of us who’ve lived our whole lives by an ocean must be vigilant. Never turn your back on the ocean; never go out by yourself (always have a partner in the water or on the shore); heed the warning signs; watch for rip currents and rogue waves; don’t swim in murky waters (shark attacks are rare, but they do happen); be mindful about swimming at dawn or dusk; be careful swimming in fresh water because of leptospirosis (it’s no more a risk here than elsewhere, but it is a risk).

Do not walk on the coral. Coral is a living organism and walking on it damages and kills it. If you get a coral cut, wash and disinfect it thoroughly and use antibiotic ointment. If it’s large or gets red, see a doctor. Coral is loaded with all sorts of biological hazards. It’s a good idea to have water shoes to wear on the beach because of dead coral pieces, sharp lava, and such.

Health and safety: It’s common knowledge that the tropical sun can burn the daylights out of you (so to speak), but there are other things to keep in mind. For sun exposure, wear waterproof sunscreen of at least 30 SPF and reapply often. Wear a wide-brimmed hat. We like lightweight washable fabric ones that can be “squished” into a backpack or pocket, such as those made by SolarVeil. Be sure to put sunscreen on all the “parts” you might not think about, such as tops of hands and feet, ears, and even your underarms. Remember that cloudy or even rainy days do not decrease your risk of sunburn.

Make sure to drink plenty of water and other non-alcoholic beverages, especially when you are also drinking those delicious mai tais, et al. Do not allow yourself to get dehydrated. It’s a really good idea to bring a small collapsible cooler with ice and beverages when you head out for the day. We discovered that packing ice in inexpensive food containers, which are rigid and do not leak, works much better than using the Ziploc bags.

Be careful when walking on the lava as it can be very sharp, especially a’a (that’s the sharp, jagged kind), but pahoehoe (that’s the smooth stuff that almost looks as if it is still flowing) can be very slick and uneven. Wear hiking or walking shoes, not sandals or thin tennis shoes, and long pants if you intend to do any real lava hiking. Although it doesn’t seem like a hazard, I learned the hard way (the infamous broken ankle/leg incident) that the fine red volcanic “dirt” can be very, very slick.

Mosquitoes can be a problem where it’s moist and lush (and almost anywhere at dusk). There are repellent wipes with DEET that are terrific because you can grab a container (like wet wipes) or an individual packet and only use them as necessary. There are no snakes in Hawaii, but you will see geckos—they are our friends.

Hawaiian food: When in Hawaii, eat as the Hawaiians do. Sure, you can try poi, but that’s more a “traditional gotta do it” kind of thing. I’m talking about eating the local fish (ono, opakapaka, opah, etc.), trying different fruits (not just pineapple, although nothing beats a Maui Gold with juice dripping down your chin), having a shave ice (shave, no “d”), or even downing a plate lunch (carb attack!). And don’t be afraid to try foods you’re used to made with Hawaiian ingredients, such as a kalua pig quesadilla or mac nut pancakes with coconut syrup. Oh, and if you’re a yogurt fan, do not miss Meadow Gold yogurt in flavors such a liliko’i (passion fruit), lychee, or coconut. It’s made on the BI (remember those stealth cows I mentioned on Saddle Rd.?) and is as good as the dairy products in Scandinavia (anyone who’s had those will know what I mean—out of this world good).

Produce restrictions: You may not bring fresh food items from the mainland (or elsewhere) to Hawaii. The results of upsetting the ecosystem can be disastrous. You will be required to fill out and sign an agricultural declaration form on your flight over. (One time in Kona, we had to wait almost 15 minutes to deplane because a woman was trying to get off the plane with a big bag of grapes, and they had to summon an agricultural officer out to the plane to handle it.)

Some have claimed that you can buy pineapple or other island fruit anywhere you like and then take it on the plane back to the mainland. This is incorrect. All produce items must pass the agricultural inspection at the airport, and all baggage (checked and carry on) is screened. In fact, you should know that you must take your checked luggage through the ag check (they put on a sticker) before you can check in for your flight. (The only exception is if you use curb-side check in, where the porters take your luggage through ag check for you.) Pineapples and Maui onions must be ag approved, and papaya must be fumigated and approved. You cannot do this at the airport. I don’t know about other fruit/veg items because the three I mentioned are the only ones we take home. Things such as island-made jam and honey must be sealed, but don’t need ag approval.

Sea shells, most flowers, and certain seeds can be taken back to the mainland, but others may not. Kukui nuts are allowed. Orchids and other floral leis are typically allowed (although I believe there are a few exceptions which are not allowed). As an FYI, although orchids aren’t native to Hawaii, orchid leis usually keep fresh very well if you’re taking home leis for friends. Just put them in a plastic bag, sprinkle them lightly with water, “blow” up the bag, and then tie it off (like a balloon). Keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to go. I’ve brought home leis this way that have lasted at least a week at home. (Please, please, please do not wear highly scented leis, such as those made with tuberoses, to meals onboard or enclosed areas anywhere. They are so strong that you and those around you are likely to end up “tasting” the scent along with your food and drink. As well, some people have pretty severe allergies. Good choices are crown flower, which are a fave of mine, orchids, or either of those mixed with rose buds or plumerias, which are both fragrant. Micro-ginger is beautiful, but isn't very long lasting and can be quite expensive. It's a real splurge.)

You can order pineapple to be delivered to the airport, but I don’t know a good source on Oahu. I’m pretty sure that somewhere back a ways on the Hawaii forum, one of the members listed a phone number and location on Oahu. (We pretty much always make Maui our last stop, so I only know good sources there.) You can also buy carry on three packs in the airport (past the security check points). They’re not cheap, but the ones we bought in December were good (not quite as good as Maui Gold, but almost). I tell you, I was not leaving Hawaii without my pineapples! Another FYI, checked boxes of pineapple do not count toward your checked bag maximum, and carry on boxes (within reason) do not count toward your carry on limit.

Please, do not try to smuggle any forbidden items into or out of the state. The agricultural risks are very real, and the costs (financial, time, and ecological health) are huge and affect all of us. (Most of you probably know that I’m kind of a fanatic on the subject because I’ve lived through and am living through major agricultural damages caused by thoughtless people who’ve smuggled in fruit and plants. It’s a huge deal in CA and has cost us millions of dollars and countless hours.)

The most important thing: Have a wonderful time. Hawaii is very easy to love. Each of the islands has its own vibe and tempo. Once you visit, you will want to come back again because the aloha spirit will capture you, and you will remember the pleasure of spending time with those who are lucky enough to live there.

Mahalo for your patience with my ramblings. Aloha and bon voyage.:D

beachchick

Thanks Beachchick for a wonderful, detailed account of your trip. Your words are most thoughtful and inspiring. I'm planning on printing out the final "chapter" for all those in my party to read. You have taken so much of your time to share your adventure with us. It is truly appreciated.

beachchick ~

If your review doesn't get us primed and ready for our PoH Easter Cruise...I don't know what would!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such wonderful information. :)

I've started to think of you as B.C. Rowling because I just couldn't wait for the next installment!

beachchick ~

If your review doesn't get us primed and ready for our PoH Easter Cruise...I don't know what would!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such wonderful information. :)

I've started to think of you as B.C. Rowling because I just couldn't wait for the next installment!

Mahalo. That's just about the nicest compliment I've ever had about my ramblings. I always told my DH that I wanted to write something someday that would be a "page turner." Little did I know it would be non-fiction and on a cruise forum.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise.:D

Excellent reviews!!!! Thanks for putting so much time and effort in writing such detailed reviews. I've printed all of them and put them in my Hawaii binder. We pretty much know what we are going to do in each island and we will also have a "downtime" on the ship to enjoy what the POH has to offer. I've taken your suggestion awhile back about the Maui port since we'll be going to Maui post-cruise.:p

Mahalo!!!!

VIP cocktail reception: We were invited to a suite pax cocktail reception with the captain and officers on Tuesday (early evening, well before the lava viewing). It was held in the Spinnaker lounge. We met the captain and several officers, sat and listened to live music, and chatted with Eric, the concierge. He had some great tips about how best to enjoy the lava viewing (such as using the video mode on our digital and then pulling stills from it later). There were servers circulating with champagne, wines, and beer. I had champagne at dinner, so I stuck with that. DH doesn’t drink, so the servers brought him club sodas; I imagine that you could ask for other alcoholic beverages too if you don’t want wine or beer. It was about an hour long and pretty quiet; the captain didn’t make any big speech or anything. It was enjoyable.

Beachchick - wonderful adventure reading your review - thanks so much.

We were visited by the Upgrade Fairy also, and got the Owners Suite AA on Pride of America for $500 each. This ended up being a total of just a couple hundred more than our original commitment when we first booked the cruise. I watched the prices go down and my wonderful TA changed our ticketed price everytime I emailed her until we paid in full. Then the visit from the Fairy. Now we had a whole new level of experience to look forward to!

My question is on the attire for the VIP party. Should my husband bring a tux or suit for this event? Or does everyone dress in Hawaiian Casual for the party?

Thanks - SJL513

SJL513: Cool upsell you got. You'll love it. Assuming that the captain's VIP cocktail party is the same on PoAm, your DH will be perfectly attired in Hawaiian attire of casual slacks (not shorts) and aloha shirt. There were a couple of couples dressed up, but they may have been among those who dressd up most evenings. The party was not even held on the "optional formal" night. Pretty much everyone except the officers and those few couples wore slacks/dockers with aloha shirts or polos (collared shirts are requested in the nice restuarants in the evening, so we just followed those guidelines) for the men and mu'umu'us, fitted sundresses in tropical prints, skirt/top sets, or slacks/top sets for the ladies. Many ladies (including me) wore leis. OTOH, I wear leis every evening no matter what because I like the look and feel very much in the islands when I do so. Most ladies were dressed just a bit "snazzier" than a truly casual night with nicer jewelry (lots of it shells or enamaled art designs) and dressy sandals (no hose for most). Absolutely NO NEED for your DH to drag along his tux or suit, especially not just for this one 1-hour event.

beachchick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We've cruised 7 times (3 on RCCL, 3 on Princess, and 1 Carnival). How are the cabin sizes compared to RCCL or Princess? I'll never sail again on Carnival, by the way.

The cabin sizes are fine on RCCL and Princess. How do they compare on NCL? We are considering the Pride of Hawaii, Aloha, and America for the summer of 2008.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

We've never stayed in any kind of suite before, but I thought the size was good. We certainly had plenty of room. The only things that could have been better were the closet size--pitiful--and the balcony size--smallest we've had, but I think the courtyard is supposed to make up for that.

We saw some of the mini-suites (AF) and a few balcony cabins. The AFs didn't seem much bigger than the plain balcony cabins we've had on RCI. The balcony cabins were small, but seemed laid out efficiently. We've not cruised with Princess in the past 20 years (and the cabins on the original Pacific Princess were pretty small), so I can't give you a comparison there. We would have been fine in an AF and maybe a tiny bit cramped (in comparison to RCI) in a balcony, but I feel certain the two of us would have managed. As long as we've got a balcony, we're fine.

beachchick

We had a similar suite on Holland American and the ship offered complimentary laundry and dry cleaning service. Does this come with the Courtyard Villa.

Also, do cell phones work when the POH is out to sea?

Thanks for your review. Makes me even more anxious.:)

I have a room on deck 8 inside cabin so my trip will not be as nice as yours. I really doubt I will get an upsell offer like you got. But I'm still looking forward to it.

Lisa

Oh gosh, you'll have just as great a time as we did. (At least I hope you will.) Our first cruises we had inside cabins that were tinier than those on PoH, and we still had a great time. I'm not going to lie and say that it wasn't amazing to have the Courtyard Villa and everything that came with it--of course it was incredible. However, we'll still have just as much fun next time we cruise in a "regular" cabin. From an inside, it's unlikely in the extreme that you would get an upsell offer to a suite, BUT you might get a good upsell offer to an oceanview or balcony. If you do and if you can justify it, go for it. And even if you don't, enjoy every minute of your cruise!:D:D:D

We had a similar suite on Holland American and the ship offered complimentary laundry and dry cleaning service. Does this come with the Courtyard Villa.

Also, do cell phones work when the POH is out to sea?

No, laundry and dry cleaning are not complimentary services with the Courtyard Villas. Of course your butler will be happy to take your laundry or dry cleaning, but you will be charged the regular fee.

We have Verizon Nationwide and had service at sea sometimes and, of course, only when we were close enough to an island to pick up a cell tower there. In fact, we had great reception around the back side of the Na Pali coast on Kauai. However, there are no cell towers on the ships, so you don't have service when you are further from land. (That, IMO, is a good thing because the roaming and service fees for ship-based service are so high. I do understand that some pax need to make calls for various reasons.) You'll just need to make sure you make calls in port or before you get too far between the islands.

beachchick

I enjoyed reading about this ship, made me wish i was back on it.

Thanks for writing such an extensive review.

Absolutely my pleasure (and me too). I'm so darn slow that it did seem to take forever, but I really wanted to review in detail. Besides, it did give me a little reminder of what a fun time we had. We love Hawaii--period; but I know you already know that.:D

beachchick

I really like your appends, but I thought this admonision was a bit biased. I actually don't take vacations to relax. I'm probably in the minority, but I take vacations to see and do. A good vacation day to me is one in which I am exhausted at the end of the day. Just a different perspective.

No, your not in the minority! I also get tired of hearing "don't do too much".

I'm sorry but that is my home life. :) When we go on vacation it is to SEE and DO as much as possible.

No, your not in the minority! I also get tired of hearing "don't do too much".

I'm sorry but that is my home life. :) When we go on vacation it is to SEE and DO as much as possible.

No problem with doing what you want. As I said before, this is my (of course biased) opinion. It's not an order. I don't think you're wrong or stupid or anything if you want to be on the go all the time.

However, as I also said before, we have seen so many visitors over the years who have planned days and nights packed so full that by the third day of the trip they look exhausted and unhappy and as if they are dreading all the "to do"s of the next day. That was even more true on this cruise because of being in each port for only a day or two. Halfway through the cruise, there were so many pax just dragging around and cranky children who didn't want to go on yet another excursion and so forth, that I will continue to recommend that people consider exactly how many days of constant activity they will truly enjoy. I truly believe that Hawaii deserves some of our relaxation time as well as our active and on-the-go time.

I have never, ever said this was anything other than my personal opinion and observation.

beachchick

• 1 month later...

Beachchick,

Finding your reveiw was like finding a treasure! Thanks so much! I do have one questin---we are on POH on July 16 and my DH is a magic freak and, therefore, really wants to see the Warren and Annabelle show in Lahaini, I've managed to make that happen by booking a room at the Pioneer Inn on Front Street for our overnight in Maui. What I'm not sure of is the transportatiion part. I've reserved a rental car so that we can drive in to Lahaini (we'll have free parking) and then drive to some of the nearby beaches the next day before heading back to our port. DH thinks he might prefer to take the NCL shuttle from the port on day one, and back to the port on day two-----as we will be carrying change of clothes, sundries, all the medicines of near-senior age and snorkle equipment, I'm voting for the rental car. Can you tell me if it is an easy drive from the POH port to Lahaini and whether you would suggest driving ourselves or taking the shuttle? I'd value you advice! Thanks in advance!

Beachchick,

Finding your reveiw was like finding a treasure! Thanks so much! I do have one questin---we are on POH on July 16 and my DH is a magic freak and, therefore, really wants to see the Warren and Annabelle show in Lahaini, I've managed to make that happen by booking a room at the Pioneer Inn on Front Street for our overnight in Maui. What I'm not sure of is the transportatiion part. I've reserved a rental car so that we can drive in to Lahaini (we'll have free parking) and then drive to some of the nearby beaches the next day before heading back to our port. DH thinks he might prefer to take the NCL shuttle from the port on day one, and back to the port on day two-----as we will be carrying change of clothes, sundries, all the medicines of near-senior age and snorkle equipment, I'm voting for the rental car. Can you tell me if it is an easy drive from the POH port to Lahaini and whether you would suggest driving ourselves or taking the shuttle? I'd value you advice! Thanks in advance!

The drive from Kahului to Lahaina is not hard at all. As you have parking included at the Pioneer Inn, you don't even have the overnight parking issue. The Pioneer Inn is at a great central location on Front St.

I recommend the rental car for several reasons, but the main one is that you will be able to go where you want, when you want, and see the things that interest you. If you take the NCL shuttle, you'll go to Lahaina (and you could take the commercial shuttle up to Ka'anapali), but that's pretty much it.

Rent the car--even if you end up doing the driving.

I'm so glad you found my review helpful. I hope your trip is every bit as lovely as ours was.

beachchick

The drive from Kahului to Lahaina is not hard at all. As you have parking included at the Pioneer Inn, you don't even have the overnight parking issue. The Pioneer Inn is at a great central location on Front St.

I recommend the rental car for several reasons, but the main one is that you will be able to go where you want, when you want, and see the things that interest you. If you take the NCL shuttle, you'll go to Lahaina (and you could take the commercial shuttle up to Ka'anapali), but that's pretty much it.

Rent the car--even if you end up doing the driving.

I'm so glad you found my review helpful. I hope your trip is every bit as lovely as ours was.

beachchick

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! We will, indeed, rent the car---I just needed to hear someone "in the know" say that I am making the right choice and you certainly qualify! We were lucky to get the Pioneer; it was sold out at all sites for that night, including their own, so I took a chance and called them directly and they had ONE room! I think, tonight, I will talk with DH to decide on a strategy, should we be lucky enough to get an upsell offer! I doubt that it will happen- but, if it does, I want us to have decided what we're willing to pay. Do enjoy your weekend ---and your next vacation---wherever it may be.

tmm100: Good choice (well, I think so). I will be sending good upsell thoughts your way. What do you have booked and what would you be interested in category-wise as an upsell? That way I can send specific vibes out there for you! Yes, you must decide in advance how much you'd be willing to pay for different upsells. It makes the process so much easier. We had not really discussed it before we got our first call, so I had to say I'd call back because DH and I had to decide. Fortunately, we decided against the first two offers, but by the time the third one came around we knew exactly how much we would be willing (and could afford) to pay and what category we wanted. (I know we completely lucked out!)

Off topic a bit, but would someone like to explain why all of a sudden the word i-s-l-a-n-d-s is now taboo and all asterisks??? Bizarre.

beachchick

Archived