ABC 1/2 Day Jeep Safari?

Paula B

We did this tour the first week of April last year and had a blast! We split ourselves into groups to divide amongst several jeeps. A couple of the jeeps (the lead and final jeep) had the tour operators as drivers, the rest had participants who volunteered to drive. My advice is to choose a jeep with a good driver, or find a good driver (someone who can drive a stick shift) who wants to volunteer. We got a great feeling for the island by visiting many sites and went snorkeling in the natural pool. It is an adventurous trip - there are some rocky areas you walk down to get to the natural pool, and the ride is bumpy and exciting - but it was so much fun - our best excursion on that cruise. It gets dusty, so you may want to have sunglasses for eye protection. Have fun!

We did the full day excursion (so I'm not sure of the difference) with my three kids (11, 9 and 5). They had a blast- bouncing around in the back of the Land Rover. I have to admit I was a little worried about the terrain going to the natural pool, it is steeper (and rockier) then I had thought it would be. But, my DH did a great job of driving and everybody was safe and sound. I think your kids would do fine- just buckle them in. :D

I think the half day tour goes back to the ship after the natural pool and the full day goes on from there (we then had lunch, went to the caves, and then Baby beach).

This was one of our favorite excursions. We did the full day which included a nice lunch at a local restraunt. My husband did the driving and I kept yelling that he was trying to kill us. Some of the hills I could not believe we were driving down. It was a blast.

We also had a great time on our half day tour-- but I would not do the driving-- nor would the honey. I think not driving was more fun since we got to enjoy the excursion a lot more.

The natural pool is a long- STEEP walk down to get into the water.

We stayed up top caz there was no way my knee woulda made it back.

you do get dusty. Your little ones will love all the bouncing around.

Wear good support bras for the ladies...lol

We are booked for April 2007 and I was wondering if anyone has recently taken this full day off road adventure in Aruba.

Other posts state that it goes to a beach with a long walk up and down hill, but the excursion I viewed now says they take a ferry to De Palm Island.

Is this a good place to go. What about Baby Beach. I've read this is great for snorkeling too.

Should we do the 1/2 jeep and to the baby beach later after returning to town?

This is our 1st cruise - can you tell?

50, 50, 14 and 9 years old!

Thanks

We are booked for April 2007 and I was wondering if anyone has recently taken this full day off road adventure in Aruba.

Other posts state that it goes to a beach with a long walk up and down hill, but the excursion I viewed now says they take a ferry to De Palm Island.

Is this a good place to go. What about Baby Beach. I've read this is great for snorkeling too.

Should we do the 1/2 jeep and to the baby beach later after returning to town?

This is our 1st cruise - can you tell?

50, 50, 14 and 9 years old!

Thanks

the 1/2 jeep goes to the natural pool- its not a beach time. the tour allows you to walk down-- get wet..spend a few minutes there and then get back to the jeep. We were in Aruba until 10pm at night. Take the tour-- go back for lunch on the ship then head out to the taxi. We stayed at Palm beach- nice- wasnt crowded at all. the water was amazing, warm and didnt have waves like the regular ocean here at home. Its the caribbean ocean when comparing to the atlantic. You dont stand in the water and the waves come and move the sand under your feet.

We also had a great time on our half day tour-- but I would not do the driving-- nor would the honey. I think not driving was more fun since we got to enjoy the excursion a lot more.

The natural pool is a long- STEEP walk down to get into the water.

We stayed up top caz there was no way my knee woulda made it back.

you do get dusty. Your little ones will love all the bouncing around.

Wear good support bras for the ladies...lol

This sounds like so much fun but I have a few requests for questions from my group---Our group of 6 (50 year olds) are looking at doing a half day Private tour but are wondering how dusty you actually get. One of our members has dust allergies and is concerned that it may be too dusty. Also---for someone with a sensitive back--are the "bumps" real severe and will he be looking at a visit to the chiropractor when we get back home??????

Thanks for any information you can give us!:)

It is a very bumpy ride. I fell off the seat and in the air a few times (probably should have worn the seat belt but it was much fun without one). It probably wouldnt be as much dust if you sat in the cab part of the jeep.

• 3 weeks later...

"dusty" is a little misleading. You get filthy. My daughter's white shirt was brown and we needed windshield wipers for our sunglasses.

And yes, bumpy as in schedule your chiropractor appointment before you go (I did).

But we loved it!! Did it two years in a row. It's the only way I would choose to get to the Natural Pool. You'll see why once you do it.

Have fun!

You get dirty because you eat the dust of the jeep a few yards in front of you. We saw this tour a couple of times while we were out exploring the island a month ago. It did not look that much fun to me but then we had rented our own jeeps and toured around by ourselves. You can't get lost and the island is great to explore. Try it on your own for a different experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Wear brown clothes - shower when you get back to the ship - you will have a great time.

We did the all day tour with ABC and we bounced and laughed. Our vehicle was a year old and had great springs in the seats - so the it was bouncy but not hard on the back. It's not a trip for anyone who worrys about how they look - your hair will be everywhere and you get a good layer of dust - but we had a terrific time - and there is plenty of time on the ship to be pretty.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. With the walk to the natural pool being steep do you think it's worth the trip down and back since you don't get to be there long? If we do go down to the natural pool will there be someone that will watch and take care of our camera's? This trip sounds like so much fun.

Thanks again, Paula B.

you take your stuff with you- there is a place there that you can stash your stuff. Our guide did not go in the water.

we were the only couple that did not go down in the water. Everyone else did. No way could I make that climb with my bad knees.

Can someone tell me how many people are in each jeep. My husband would love to do this and drive but another excursion like this we had to share the jeep, so just wondering if we would get the jeep to ourselves if it just us, or do they match you up. Also is there a website for this and around how much is it.

Can someone tell me how many people are in each jeep. My husband would love to do this and drive but another excursion like this we had to share the jeep, so just wondering if we would get the jeep to ourselves if it just us, or do they match you up. Also is there a website for this and around how much is it.

you drive other people. there are 8 people in the back of the jeep plus the driver and their other person-- so each jeep holds 10 people.

in the back is two seats-- each holds 4 people.

http://www.abc-aruba.com/

I think they try and maxamize the passengers- although the one we followed only had about 6. We did have 10, but that was all from our own group. I am sure if you have 2 you will have others with you. Also, I am sure if your husband wants to drive that can be arranged. The ride in the front is much less bumpy/dusty.

Archived