no infants on NCL

utopia2064

I just received an email stating that infants under the age of 6 months at the time of embarkation will no longer be allowed to sail if they've booked after January 16th. I don't have kids, so it doesn't effect me, but what do you all think about the new policy? Any idea why they put it into affect?

Here's the email...

Dear Valued Guest,

We have received notification from Norwegian Cruise Line regarding new policies for all sailings.

Effective immediately, NCL / NCLA will no longer allow infants that are under the age of 6 months to sail on any vessel. Any infant booked prior to 1/16/2007 will be allowed to sail. Additionally, all guests will be denied boarding if their infant is under the age of 6 months at time of embarkation.

If you booked a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines after January 16, 2007 and have an infant traveling with you that will not be 6 months old at the time of your cruise, contact us immediately for further assistance.

Actually, this was already the policy on NCL. As a rule children under 6 months of age were not supposed to sail. In the past, they made certain allowances, if you could get one in writing for babies slightly younger than 6 months.

Most cruiselines will not let children onboard until they're somewhere between 4 and 6 months old. Disney Cruiseline will let on children starting at 3 months (12 weeks), but that's the youngest I've seen in a policy.

I don't think this is going to change anyone's mind away from NCL. It's standard to keep off babies who haven't had immunizations yet.

We were on an NCL cruise several years ago with a baby about 2 months, but other than that I have never seen an infant on NCL. Princess restricts infants under 6 months from cruising and some of the more upscale lines will not take babies under a year. Certainly this is not going to affect NCL popularity or lack of. NMNita

In 2005, my sister in law took her then 3 month old baby on our NCL cruise to Alaska. There was never any comments or questions raised by NCL prior to booking, during booking or when we boarded or on board. Yes, NCL knew this baby would be less than six months old because on the cruise forms prior to her birth (my sister in law did not want to know what sex the baby was), it was listed as "baby _(last name)__." After the baby was born, our TA sent in a copy of the Birth Certificate with the name and the paperwork was changed.

The only thing my sister in law had to have was a notarized note signed by the doctor stating that the baby was well enough to be traveling and was not a health risk to others.

We thought there would be a lot of hassle, but actually it was really easy. My other sister in law took her 5 month old on our Dawn cruise in June, again with the same reasonable requests and paperwork from NCL.

Interesting they are making this change now.

I just received an email stating that infants under the age of 6 months at the time of embarkation will no longer be allowed to sail if they've booked after January 16th. I don't have kids, so it doesn't effect me, but what do you all think about the new policy? Any idea why they put it into affect?
It's not new to me. We were planning our first post baby cruise for last May. My son was 6 1/2 months old. When we talked to NCL they told us about the policy. It didn't affect us but I think they told us to make sure we weren't fibbing his age. I think it's a good idea because babies have those first big rounds of shot at 6 months and are also old enough for flu shots. I think it's a good idea to have a minimum age. And that's coming from someone that's cruised with a 6 1/2 month old.

It's not new to me. We were planning our first post baby cruise for last May. My son was 6 1/2 months old. When we talked to NCL they told us about the policy. It didn't affect us but I think they told us to make sure we weren't fibbing his age.

Cecilia: That's odd that they would tell you that for May, but didn't bat an eye or even make a single comment about my nephew going in June at only 5 months. (I will add that NEITHER year did we lie about the babies ages.) Sounds like the same story we heard during the jeans or no jeans days in the dining rooms....enforcement varies from ship to ship and from NCL rep to NCL rep.

Cecilia: That's odd that they would tell you that for May, but didn't bat an eye or even make a single comment about my nephew going in June at only 5 months. (I will add that NEITHER year did we lie about the babies ages.) Sounds like the same story we heard during the jeans or no jeans days in the dining rooms....enforcement varies from ship to ship and from NCL rep to NCL rep.
Maybe since you rarely hear about infant age restrictions it's one of those things that is answered wrong depending on who you talk to. It wasn't an issue for us and we didn't even have to show a birth cert.

I am really surprised. We were on the Dawn in November with friends who had a four month old. They left their child at home with the grandparents, but Mom made a point of oohing and aahing over every infant on board. There were quite a few. I'm not sure if there were more than usual of if I just never had them pointed out to me in the past.

We were looking to cruise this past summer when my baby was only 3 months old. NCL told me all I needed to do was get a letter from the Dr. informing that the baby was healthy and had the immunizations current for the baby's age. However, we ended up booking for Spring Break instead and my baby will be 11 months old--so no problem with NCL policy. Unfortunately, it seems that even their personal cruise consultants are not all aware of the policy.

I do have to say that it is nice that he(we) are only being charged for taxes and port fees. Some other cruise lines I checked into wanted to charge me for a 3rd/4th passenger rate for him.......:eek:

I'm wondering if NCL is deciding to be more strict about it's policy regarding age of infants on cruises due to the rising incidents of whooping cough and other diseases raising their heads in the States today.

I'm thinking it is a good thing that infants under 6 months of age not be on a ship where whooping cough, TB, noro virus and other highly communicable diseases can be passed on so quickly.

Dianne

Charlie, you are probably right: just like the alcohol policy: for years no lines including NCL enforced it, even though they all have it: NCL was the first to really crack down, even then, until a year or so ago they didn't go too far out of their way to convescate liquor or charge corkage fees unless you brought the entire bar on board. Now we all know what will happen if you bring it on board: Celebrity, for the past few years has been hit or miss, mostly miss, but says they do not allow it either. I would bet, one of these days they start enforcing just like NCL. this could be true with many rules and policies that seem to have gone by the wasteside, they are coming back.

NMnnita

Anyone who has been in a room next to a young baby who happens to have colic would probably agree to this. We unfortunately had twins next to us so when one wasnt crying, the other was. I felt sorry for the mother, who was in the room each night but it was also unbearable for us. We couldnt even nap in the afternoon because they believed that babies should cry themselves to sleep so until they napped noone else could.

before anyone asks, why didnt we move, it was booked full. The staff did locate earplugs which helped somewhat but the balcony door had to always be shut, etc and I feel that a cruise with children that young is totally uncalled for. If you want to take your young child (under 2) with you, take them somewhere that is toddler friendly until they are old enough to enjoy the cruise with you.

Anyone who has been in a room next to a young baby who happens to have colic would probably agree to this. We unfortunately had twins next to us so when one wasnt crying, the other was. I felt sorry for the mother, who was in the room each night but it was also unbearable for us. We couldnt even nap in the afternoon because they believed that babies should cry themselves to sleep so until they napped noone else could.

before anyone asks, why didnt we move, it was booked full. The staff did locate earplugs which helped somewhat but the balcony door had to always be shut, etc and I feel that a cruise with children that young is totally uncalled for. If you want to take your young child (under 2) with you, take them somewhere that is toddler friendly until they are old enough to enjoy the cruise with you.

I don't think that has anything to do with the policy. Certainly babies are still crying and get colic after 6 months of age.

I have a ten month old, and she occassionally has fits of crying. She's a very well behaved baby, but all babies cry sometimes. We will be cruising in March, when she'll be almost one year old.

When we cruised on the Dream with a group we had a baby in our group that was only a few weeks old. I didn't even realize we had one that little with us until the 4th day of the cruise. Of course at that age they usually just sleep/eat. NCL never batted an eye.

I think the baby age limit thing is probably just a CYA. If something should happen to the little one they are covered insurance/legal/P.R. wise.

Ginamarie - nice to run into you again

NCL - Panama Canal 7/05

Congrats on the baby!

We will be traveling again this Spring - this time with our 11 month old (at time of sailing) - Our 11, 10 and 8 year olds will be joining us as well. NCL STAR during Spring break- if you want to avoid us

IMHO: Those traveling w/o child expect to not be bothered by children. As parents we feel awful when our children act up or are colicy or grumpy - we certainly don't want to bother anyone with our children, but we do want have an enjoyable vacation and create fun family memories with our kids.

So please, to those traveling w/o kids. Try not to be too judgemental - we are trying, but littles are littles.

During our last ruise we saw an adorable 2yr old little girl - we met her parents and even took excursions with them - because of her - (And the was a 2 1/2 car ride, each way, into San Jose Costa Rica.

It's always nice to watch innocence

This poclicy is smart, not allowing babies under the age of 6months because of their immune sytems are not very strong and being on ships where colds/flues get pasted around much easier it just not a safe place for a baby to be.

On a side note, it is funny when parents try to lie about the childerens age. I am a ski instructer and we have a stricked rule of 4 to 6 year olds have to have private lessson because they need one on one attention at that age and parents always love to lie about there age to get the cheaper group rate with the 7 through 12 year old kids. Or we get the kids who say they are 4 years old today :P becuase we will not teach 3 year olds and younger because most of them do not of the moter skills yet to ski so it would just be a waste of our time and their moeny.

Ginamarie - nice to run into you again

NCL - Panama Canal 7/05

Congrats on the baby!

We will be traveling again this Spring - this time with our 11 month old (at time of sailing) - Our 11, 10 and 8 year olds will be joining us as well. NCL STAR during Spring break- if you want to avoid us

IMHO: Those traveling w/o child expect to not be bothered by children. As parents we feel awful when our children act up or are colicy or grumpy - we certainly don't want to bother anyone with our children, but we do want have an enjoyable vacation and create fun family memories with our kids.

So please, to those traveling w/o kids. Try not to be too judgemental - we are trying, but littles are littles.

During our last ruise we saw an adorable 2yr old little girl - we met her parents and even took excursions with them - because of her - (And the was a 2 1/2 car ride, each way, into San Jose Costa Rica.

It's always nice to watch innocence

Hey there! Nice to run into seamates from prior cruises. Funny that you mention that particular day in Costa Rica, because if you take the age of our daughter and measure back nine months from there you'll find the day we were in Costa Rica.;)

We're also going to be travelling during spring break, but on the opposite coast. No airfare for us this time around.

Archived