Cabin Setup for solo/single traveller

guardami

This will possibly be regarded as a naive question but as someone who has only cruised once and with a friend I'm going to ask it anyway. I know that the beds can be placed together for couples in a double cabin but do they also do this for travellers who have booked a cabin for solo use? And if so, what is it like to sleep on two beds pushed together?

I am looking at Jewel of the Seas in an inside M cat cabin. I am used to sleeping in a queen size bed of my own so I don't stick to one side of the bed and am wondering if this is going to be comfortable. I know it's a strange silly question but small things amuse small minds, I suppose! :p

I know that the beds can be placed together for couples in a double cabin but do they also do this for travellers who have booked a cabin for solo use?

The only time I cruised solo in a 'standard' double cabin (P+O Oceana), both beds were made up as singles, and I just picked on to sleep in and one to dump stuff on. You could always ask the steward to change it on arrival, but in many cabins the queen size bed appears to take up a lot more space than the 2 singles.

Last year on QE2 there were no single cabins left, so I got an M6 double with bunk beds - luckily they left the upper bunk folded into the wall, so I wasn't banging my head on it all the time.:D

Karen

Hi:) most cabin attendants will put the beds however you

prefer.

I sail solo and usually they put them together for me. But if you

want them separated I would think it would not be a problem.

Enjoy your cruise:)

I had my two beds pushed together. It was comfortable, although you do feel the crack in the middle. I tend to travel a bit in my sleep, so a larger bed was more comfortable. One thing I noticed though....I was in an outside room and if I wanted to look out the window, then I had to kneel on the bed in order to look out, take pictures, etc. If the beds had been pushed apart, then it would have been easier to see out the window at the passing scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am a solo traveler. On my last cruise (Sovereign of the Seas), I had the beds pushed together and NEVER felt the crack due to the new bedding. The bed was parallel to the window which was nice. I could lie in bed and look at the stars. On another cruise, I slept on one side of the bed and left my suitcase open on the other side which was also convenient. Always pushed together for me.

When I travel alone I get the beds pushed together. I'm used to a queen sized bed at home and this seems to be the most comfortable for me. Oddly enough I do think that the queen bed takes up more room than two single beds, but this is probably an optical illusion of some sort LOL.

Usually when I get to the cabin I find the beds are together as a single. If you cruise RCCL or maybe another line and have the new bedding you will not notice the space in the middle as much as you use to. Obviously there are advantages to having the queen bed but just for the record on my last cruise before I was totally out of the cabin my cabin steward changed the bed to "Two" singles configuration for the next guest and wow there really is more room in the cabin to get around. Obviously the actual sq footage is the same but having all that space between the beds instead of right up against the wall on each side makes a difference because you have all of that space each time you get out of the bed not just half in the queen configuration. So that is my take and you can have it set up however you want to and there won't be a problem.

Hi all:

I definitely prefer the beds together and that is the first request I will make when I see the cabin attendant. Here are my reasons:

1) Having the beds together makes the cabin look more like a hotel room for adults than a summer camp for kids. Since a cruise is meant to be a pampering experience, I like my room to reflect that aesthetic.

2) Not using one bed for "stuff" means that I have to put most everything in the closets. (And since I have the room to myself, I have plenty enough closet space.) As a result, the room looks less cluttered. Besides, I like unpacking everything on the first day and getting all my suitcases stowed because it makes me feel like I have moved in and now own the place. Call it silly, but I like "marking my territory." If I were a canine, I would have another method of doing that altogether, but we won't go into that.

3) I didn't notice the "crack" between the beds. But if I did on a future cruise, I would mention it to the cabin attendant. They can always install one of those "egg carton" foam toppers over your mattresses.

My recommendation would be to ask the cabin attendant to put your beds together on the first day. If for some reason you don't like the set up, then you can always ask to have them separated again. After all, that's what cabin attendants get paid (and tipped) for! :)

- Paul

Personally, I find the cabin to be much more spacious by leaving the 2 beds as singles. I also thought the "center seem" from pushing the 2 beds together was rather uncomfortable to sleep on. So for me, I like to leave the 2 beds as singles, choose one to sleep in and use the other to set things on. Especially if you have an early morning tour tomorrow, you can set out everything you're going to want to take along with you. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be able to grab my bag of "essntials" in the morning & head up to the Lido deck for a coffee, or juice before my tour rather than scrambling around getting my things together. But that's just me. And Iam SO not a "morning person".

Whichever you decide, one things for sure . . . . Cruising "solo" and having your own cabin is a real treat:-)

Enjoy!

Annie

• 3 weeks later...

Count me as another person who wants one big bed. One of the luxeries (to me) of traveling solo is being able to sleep completely sprawled out and take over the entire big bed. ;)

I'm like Paul in that I like to "mark my terrority" too. I unpack my stuff when I get onboard and put everything in the closets. Then I know I'm really on vacation!

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I always have the bed separated. I like to have one bed to lay out my outfits for the next day and to put "stuff" that I collect on port days until I get a chance to sort the garbage from the true treasures.

However, that is only if the beds can be pushed up against the wall. If the bed sits out from the wall, then I need them to be together. I once slept on a single on Destiny that sat approx. 3 feet from the wall and got no sleep at all.:( I sleep on a queen sized bed at home and am use to having room to roll over. I couldn't sleep on the single on Destiny b/c I kept worrying about rolling over and falling out of the bed.:eek:

However, whether it is the L shape of Carnival rooms or the parallel of NCL or RCCL, two single beds do seem to take up less room than 1 king size. On NCL I had the room steward break them apart and I told her only to bother making up one bed. This she did which was fine.

This will possibly be regarded as a naive question but as someone who has only cruised once and with a friend I'm going to ask it anyway. I know that the beds can be placed together for couples in a double cabin but do they also do this for travellers who have booked a cabin for solo use? And if so, what is it like to sleep on two beds pushed together?

I am looking at Jewel of the Seas in an inside M cat cabin. I am used to sleeping in a queen size bed of my own so I don't stick to one side of the bed and am wondering if this is going to be comfortable. I know it's a strange silly question but small things amuse small minds, I suppose! :p

While on this subject....has anyone stayed in M-6 on the Holiday?

It is a 1-A category with a porthole. I would be curious as to the layout

of that particular cabin and would love to see pictures of it. I have done searches for pictures of that particular cabin...with no success. :(

Anyone know about this cabin?

• 3 weeks later...

An important consideration in the bed together or apart decision is how the beds are positioned in the stateroom. Nearly all standard staterooms (not the suites) are rectangular. Some staterooms have the bed positioned lengthwise in the room and other staterooms have the bed positioned crosswise. For the lengthwise arrangement I like the beds separated into singles and placed against the walls. This leaves a wider walk space between the beds and makes the stateroom live larger. For staterooms in which the beds are positioned crosswise, it is better to have the beds pushed together. Again, this will result in a little more walking space. Visit different cruiseline websites and check out their stateroom configurations to see the difference.

Archived