Using a travel Agent

SallySlapCabbage

I know that discussing/promoting travel agents is forbidden, but I just have a general question. My family is currently booked on a HAL cruise in Oct. booked directly through HAL. I only recently learned of the competing travel agency sites and plugged in my info. I received some spectacular prices. Actually the prices were only slightly lower, but they are for higher cabin categories, come with shipboard credit, Pinnacle meals, and the clincher for us--a plexiglass balcony (as opposed to the steel). Am I taking a risk bookng with an unknown internet agent? What are the pros and cons of using an agent vs. HAL? Thanks in advance for all the insight I know is out there in Cruise Critic land!

Given you are well before final payment date, you can cancel the original reservation with HAL and use the T/A of your choice and do so without a penalty.

When talking about "higher cabins" make sure you understand what you are buying and really study the deck plan before you buy a cruise. Often times, it's the same sized cabin located on a higher deck which does not translate to much of anything. Generally speaking the most comfortable rides are mid ship and as low as you care to go.

Some cabins have obstructed views and this too is something you need to be aware of.

If you are contemplating a suite, some have larger balcony space and this too will be apparent from the deck plan.

We have always used a travel agent as opposed to booking directly w/cruise line. This was done primarily out of ignorance about cruising and I had a body to look at and ask questions. As I became more knowlegable I would plan the entire trip; cruise, plane, hotel, car rental, etc. and give it to my TA to book. Then I realized my TA was charging me for booking flights so I now do this myself and save the $80.

Then I became a real seasoned cruiser and started using on-line booking for the cruise and do the rest myself.

I don't do this because I'm "better" than them, I just have the time and get a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of planning it all myself.

There are many on-line agencies of which I have used 3 (part of my planning which includes getting the best deal). I have not heard horror stories about any of the on-line agencies so I can't warn you about them.

The bottom line is all agencies are competing for your business and will amost always beat whatever price the cruise line is offering. But no matter what you pay for your cruise it is worth it. Cruising is the BEST.

A question though: What's this "steel vs. plexiglass" partitions? I know there is a fire issue that is being looked at on cruise ships but I am not aware of a choice on the ships.

I wouldn't say that you are necessarily taking a risk booking with an internet agent. I would, however, do my homework first.

Scan their web site to see where they are based - make sure they are based in the US. Once you know where they are located, go to dexonline dot com to make sure there is a phone listing for that company. If dex lists a web site, use it rather than any others that you have received.

Then I would suggest going to the Better Business Bureau website and check to see if there is a history of problems. Remember that the larger companies will have more history, due to higher volumes.

If everything checks out, then enjoy your larger/better/whatever cabin.

There is no right or wrong answer. Perk can be very impressive, but don't switch just because of that. Dealing with on line agents sometimes can be a disaster as you don't always have any personal contact or very little. Sometimes there are hidden costs as well. This doesn't mean they are all bad: some are every bit as good and the mom and pop agency down the street.. Before you decide try and find out from someone about the particular company you are thinking of using. NMnita

There is no right or wrong answer. Perk can be very impressive, but don't switch just because of that. Dealing with on line agents sometimes can be a disaster as you don't always have any personal contact or very little. Sometimes there are hidden costs as well. This doesn't mean they are all bad: some are every bit as good and the mom and pop agency down the street.. Before you decide try and find out from someone about the particular company you are thinking of using. NMnita

Very sage advice, indeed.

Visit ***** dot com and enter the cruise you want prices on. You will hear from 3, 4, or more agencies with quotes. Be sure to notice that the quotes/information tell you that they have no cancellation fees if you change your mind. You can find out info about the agencies from the site, too. I've used two of them, and have personal contacts who answer e-mails and the phone, so I've had a good experience so far.

Given you are well before final payment date, you can cancel the original reservation with HAL and use the T/A of your choice and do so without a penalty..

You do not have to cancel your booking..Your booking can be released from HAL to the Travel Agent..

In April, 2005 we & another couple booked an outside cabin on the Prinsendam Amazon Explorer, for April, 2006 directly with HAL..In August, while recovering from an operation, I was on CC a great deal & many many posters were discussing Internet Agents charging less..We really never believed it & decided to check around..

Received prices from several TA's who advertise on Cruise Critic & one was almost $1,000 less than HAL was charging us for the same cabin, a higher category & one deck up:( ..Heather, Randy & Lou who post frequently on CC had previously used the same Agent..The only drawback was this Agent could only be contacted by e-mail..No phone service, which I'm not used to..

Called HAL & spoke to a Supvr...First asked about the TA & he confirmed it was a well known high producing Agent..Then he said "We can't compete with our High Producing Agents" ..He advised me to send a FAX to HAL to have them release the booking to the Agent..After discussing it with the other couple, we all decided to go ahead & did just that..

The TA then was able to cancel our original HAL booking, make a new booking in the higher cat. cabin & used the deposit we had given to HAL for the new cabins..

Of course we all worried until final payment...Checked our Credit Cards & realized that HAL processes all final payments & felt better..We were ecstatic when our Docs arrived in the mail..Used the same agent for our Nov. cruise on the Ryndam & will probably use them again...It's a bare bones Agent who sends the docs via U.S mail & doesn't mail the "shore excursion" booklet or the HAL document holder..But for that much less we were satisfied...:)

Booking thru an on-line Agent is not for everyone..You must do your homework & be sure to carefully check deck plans & decide on the cabin you want..Not sure if this Agent will book Air, hotels etc..

Good luck in your search..:) Betty

Visit ***** dot com and enter the cruise you want prices on. You will hear from 3, 4, or more agencies with quotes. Be sure to notice that the quotes/information tell you that they have no cancellation fees if you change your mind. You can find out info about the agencies from the site, too. I've used two of them, and have personal contacts who answer e-mails and the phone, so I've had a good experience so far.

sorry, I beleive it is against the policy of CC to suggest any agency or web site that uses agencies. NMnita

I fondly remember the topnotch travel agents I had in the 70's and 80's. They retired or left the business. I started having trouble finding a good travel agent in 1995 - phone calls not returned, poor advice, poor prices, etc. I felt that agents were pushing products that they liked and perhaps had a financial stake in, rather than what suited me. Agents recommended by friends were as bad as any others.

I used my last brick and mortar agency on November 22, 2000, when the $10 fee for each of four airline tickets did not cover delivery. I had to drive 15 minutes to their office and wait while the agents talked over personal matters.

I have checked prices with brick and mortar agencies twice since then, and beat them both times.

I am a savvy enough traveler with enough time to do my homework. I am happy without a travel agent. I have been perfectly happy booking with an online agent or other travel provider. You'll have to make up your own mind about leaving your agent.

As Betty stated it's no big secret that I'm in the on-line TA supporter group. Actually I've used 3 who advertise here on CC with excellent results. Lou (aka Lougee1043) turned me on to this method of booking our cruises when I discovered he paid less for an S cat on the Oosterdam than we paid for an SS on the very same cruise. Been booking through the on-line TA he used, or one or two of the other big ones, since then and couldn't be happier. Like Betty I remember us feeling a little uncomfortable initially but got over that and we've been well pleased with the services. We get what we pay for and, for us, that means savings as we don't need any other assistance other than booking the cruise. My caution.....do your homework, make sure you're using one of the major providers, understand their fees, understand their services and support. If using an on-line TA works for you then go for it but, at the same time, if you can do as well or better or need more assistance then there's nothing at all wrong with using a traditional brick and mortar TA.

I can't echo the other posters enough. I did a comparison thread a while back with some interesting results. I compaired on line agents and local TAs in a price analysis. Again, you must watch the "fine print" with regard to "service charges" and "cancelation fees". The lowest price is not always the best. Here is the link to that thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464276. Good luck in your shopping experiance and have a wonderfull cruise.

Agent that a number of cc members are using? Do you or does anyone reading this have some type of e-mail where I can contact them?

I didn't see any benefit from a TA last year (used AAA) and they were almost useless. I ended up calling HAL directly with my questions. Since their inside Sales rep couldn't help me (he was graded on making Sales - at least he was honest), I talke to the ship Coordinator. I decided it wasn't worth the $100pp shipboard credit for outside. It would def be worth it to save hundreds and go on-line.

What I don't understand, is don't you loose your insurane if you switch agents? Or, since the platimum is with HAL it wouldn't make a difference? We have not made a fina payment yet. We are traveling high season in the Med on a 10 day and I'm kind of bummed that those able to do the 20 back back to back are paying practically the same price (we can't leave our jobs that long). I keep thinking there should be a little better price somewhere (or a better cabin).

How do I find the Agent everyone is using and second will I loose HALs insurance if I rebook?

on-ine take credit cards?

I was looking at someones Agent for Antartica for next year and they were wire-transfer only which makes me nervious (would conside it though if could travel last minute and save 8K etc.)

Btw, I booked directly with HAL hoping this gave me a better chance for an upgrade. The more I read HAL rareky has upgrades anyway.

with insurance? HAL requires that decision immediately upon booking and that is where I am surprised so many people book their cruises over a year in advance. I understand it is insurance, but HALs platinum for a $2,600 balcony (I think VF) is about $300.00, so add another adult and cgild and the risk is $700.00 before final payment. They won't even transfer this insurance if you wante to change your date for the following month on the identical itineray. I do like the after payment 10% only penalty (and cash back) if you cancel up to 24 hours. If you use an on-line agent can you get this same insurance?

How do I find the Agent everyone is using and second will I loose HALs insurance if I rebook?

There is not agent that "everyone" is using. We are not allowed to even mention travel agencies by name on this forum. However, there are agencies that give quotes online without your having to give all your personal details. It takes some time to find them.

Posters say they use agencies that advertise on Cruise Critic. I do not know if this is a full list of them: http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/index.cfm

Good luck in your search.

"I was looking at someones Agent for Antartica for next year and they were wire-transfer only which makes me nervious (would conside it though if could travel last minute and save 8K etc.)"

The wire transfer makes me nervous, too. I would sure want more unbiased information about the company before I booked. Most online websites take credit cards.

I bought from two places that did not take credit cards: Rick Steves takes personal checks, money orders or bank drafts for tours, and a well respected language school insisted on a wire transfer. I had not trouble with either, but was not pleased with the $30+ cost of a wire transfer.

A thank you to all who responded. I did all of the research as described in the replies and my on-line agency seems to check out well. This agency seems to have a vey high volume so I am waiting for them to return my voice mail. My palms are sweating; I hope the cabins/price is still available when they get back to me.

I find this site so entertaining, and very addictive. I have been lurking around here for quite sometime but I rarely post because I am hardly an expert. This will only be my third cruise.

Navy Chief--your entry on the other thread is what initiated my online search for a better price. In the past I have always booked directly through the cruiseline figuring they must have the cheapest price. Thanks again for your wisdom!

The times I've looked the cruise line offered the highest price on their site. That is exactly the opposite of the airlines sites. I would reiterate the earlier statement that some places charge for cancellations even when the cruise line doesn't. Some of them also don't include all the taxes etc. until the very end of the booking process.

sorry, I beleive it is against the policy of CC to suggest any agency or web site that uses agencies. NMnita
I believe it's okay. This website is not an agency, but simply a clearling house of sorts. I've seen them referred to many times before. And this website does not sell anything ... so mentioning them does not appear to violate the guideline which is as follows:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Jade...I'm not sure about HAL's Insurance..I don't ever use a Carriers Insurance...We book out insurance on-line with "Insuremytrip.com" or the Travel Insurance Store....You then should compare all of the policies..We usually purchase it through Travelex but also know that Access America is a good company to deal with..Again you must compare the policies & be sure you get exactly what you need..

The Travel Agent we are using advertises on Cruise Critic..It's the only Agent that does not have phone service..

However my Friend & I have just decided today to look into the Maasdam's Transatlantic from Rotterdam in July...We've decided to compare several of the Agents on Cruise Critic as well as some of the other Internet sites, only because the one way air fare is so high...We may be able to book our own air at a better rate, but will have to do some real digging..If we can get the air fare down enough, our DH's might agree to the cruise.;) .LOL

Good luck to you & Sally Slap in your search..Just remember look at cancellation fees, hidden fees & if taxes & other fees are included in your final price..Most of the Agents do not require personal info., so don't be afraid to compare them..

And please wish us luck, as we need to book a cruise very very soon!;) ..Betty

I believe it's okay. This website is not an agency, but simply a clearling house of sorts. I've seen them referred to many times before. And this website does not sell anything ... so mentioning them does not appear to violate the guideline which is as follows:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

ok, just don't want to see anyone get slapped by the powers that be. NMNita

A thank you to all who responded. I did all of the research as described in the replies and my on-line agency seems to check out well. This agency seems to have a vey high volume so I am waiting for them to return my voice mail. My palms are sweating; I hope the cabins/price is still available when they get back to me.

I find this site so entertaining, and very addictive. I have been lurking around here for quite sometime but I rarely post because I am hardly an expert. This will only be my third cruise.

Navy Chief--your entry on the other thread is what initiated my online search for a better price. In the past I have always booked directly through the cruiseline figuring they must have the cheapest price. Thanks again for your wisdom!

Your quite welcome, Our last cruise (for the first time) was booked directly from HAL; the others were through on line TAs. With that said, I probably could have gotten a little bit better price but the important thing was that I was satisfied with the price I finally paid. Best of luck with your shopping, good hunting and enjoy the cruise!

Archived