Try On Day

My next cruise is just 3 weeks away (YAY !!) and several people on the board mentioned having "try on" day with their clothes - more for their formal and semi-formal outfits.

I'm a total planner so this sounded like a good idea. I just finished "try on" day on Saturday and I'm so glad I did ! I figured out I needed a black slip for one skirt, a little black evening purse for several outfits, a strapless bra, what shoes looked better with what outfit and which shoes I could wear multiple times and the right jewelry for each.

Because I did this in advance, I was able to go to Ross yesterday and find a black slip ($5) and a little black purse ($10) and set aside my strapless bra.

Normally, I try on outfits the the night before a trip or just guess and then end up wishing I had that little black purse or a strapless bra.

Two thumbs up for "Try on" day !!

(I'm really not that neurotic :) )

- Yvette

Way to go, Scarlett!

I don't sail until October 7th (Hawaii to Ensenada) but I have my packing list ready and was considering a 'try on day' myself!

Not sure that my jewellry is right for the smart casual outfits, I think one of my fancy skirts needs an adjustment, and can't decide which sparkly handbag goes with which formal.....

Maybe I'll need a "try-on" WEEK......LOL.

Cindy

I just did this last night! To my surprise more things fit than I intended, another packing dillema:eek: . I lost a couple pounds (not intentionally) and just figured stuff would be too big, not true. I don't have to dress-up unless I want to these days:D since I work from home. So many of my dresses haven't been tried on for a long time and they fit.

But it created the need to go shopping one more time:( for a few more tops.

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

:) I recently tried on my 2 long skirts for formal nights...still fit too;) .

I can't remember the the last time I even had a dress or skirt that needed a slip:eek: .....whats it like? LOL...just kidding with you...but, I do always try and find something with "no slip necessary".

Happy Day Lois! How are you? I tried on one dress last night that is a few years old that's yellow and that thin wrinkly material....Can see right thru it:eek: Now I know why I never wore it. Sometimes you gotta wonder: "what was I thinkin'?":rolleyes:

Take care!

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

Excellent post! Hi Lois ~ Hi Romy!

I, too, "try" my clothing on a couple of weeks out from the cruise. And, if things don't fit just right, well, you know it's simply an excuse to go shopping yet one more time! ;););)

I recently bought two evening dresses for my upcoming cruise taking advantage of the 75% off sale at Dillards. Since I hate to try on stuff in the fitting rooms I just paid for the dresses and took them home. I got them in my regular size but since I am "busty" and the dresses are very fitted at the top I was a little concerned that they might not fit. So, taking the advice of this board, I had a "try on" day. Glad to report that the dresses fit great! now all I have to do is find some shoes.

One dress is a royalish blue and the other is champagne with silver glitter. Originally I thought about wearing the same silver shoes/accessories with both dresses now I'm not so sure. I saw some clear "cinderella" type shoes that would also be nice Help!

Any ideas?

Although I am a proponent of "the more shoes, the merrier", I think silver would be perfect for both dresses. Not sure what else (other than clear) I would wear with the blue. Unless you get a pair dyed to match.

Sounds like a good idea...however myself and DarleneCultJam, have try on day, everytime we get together...wheather we have a cruise planned or not...

Just seeing what fits and doesn't is a real eye opener...Smooth Sailing to all, and their smart looking outfits...

That's the first thing that the girls (step daughters 12 & 14.5) wanted me to do when we returned from day 2 of a mulit-mall-marathon. Can you say exhausted?? But, for them I again put the dresses on, plus shoes, jewelry, party hair...but before I was allowed to show their father, they had to "announce" my arrival as I decended the stairs. Oy, at least I still had my sense of humor. I shopped soooo much that my purse actually broke!

RAYTOWNLADY....I think we purchased the same bluish dress at the Dillards sale. I told the gal assisting me, no black or navy....and don't you know, because of the sale I went home with 2 blacks (1 long and 1 short & sassy) and the blue, which is medium length. I am one of those gals who use gold as an accessory for everything, so I will use my sparkeleeee gold strapy sandals (clear heal) and most likely a gold/rhinestone slim belt. You and I must be similar, I have a little waist and I'm mombo on top, and as you know that is *not* a blessing when shopping for clothes.

Miss Scarlet....really, what a wonderful idea. I shall use your post to convince my hubby of doing this as I was already trying to come up with a way of suggesting it. You know, those suit jackets just seem to shrink hanging there in the closet...right. I've had soooo many try-on sessions in the past week but thank goodness, found some things that need to be mended!

Great advice ladies.

Michele

My daughter bouht a pair of "Cinderella shoes" that also have a little silver tone and crystals on it. She loves those shoes as they go with any formal outfit she wears so she only has to pack the one pair. Hey she bought another pair minus the crystals and silvertone that she just likes to wear with reg. clothes not formal wear.

This is a great idea! I had a "kind of" try on day a month or two ago where I pulled out all the clothes I wore on my cruise in 1999. Well, I was two sizes smaller then. Oh well, I went shopping :). It wasn't a big surprise plus some of the items were in question as to whether or not they were still in style. I brought up the try on day to my husband and he said it sounded like the most boring thing ever. But I told him it had to be done at least two weeks before we leave. So our try on day will be the weekend of Aug. 28 which will give us Labor Day weekend to pick up anything extra that we need. Ours is a 12 day cruise (we leave 9/12) so there will be a lot to try on! I think I will do another try on this weekend because I know I still need a few things and I didn't try on jewelry or shoes last time either. This will help me with my packing list too. I love these boards :).

Lydia

I made a detailed list for both my husband and I for each night because of this thread and I realized we need to get my husband a pair of formal black shoes. He has a nice pair of black Cole Haan loafers but not black lace up shoes. So I want to say a big Thank You to everyone for this thread. We will go to the Nordstrom Rack as they always have dress shoes at a great price. That's where we bought the loafers and his brown lace up shoes. We will still do an official try on day but this has possibly saved us a last minute shopping trip.

Thanks!!!!

Lydia

I love Nordstrom's Rack, they have excellent prices on good quality shoes and clothes. I decided on the silver shoes for my formals, I found a nice pair of silver strappy sandals on Nordstoms. com they're having their anniversary sale and the price was great.

I also made a detailed list of what my husband and I will wear each evening, he thinks I'm crazy, I call it being prepared. so far he's taking his Tuxedo, 3 pair of slacks and 5 sports shirts. By doing my list and looking at his stuff, I discovered that I needed to pick up a couple of shirts for him.

I think for the two formal nights he'll take his white dress shirt and black studs and for the second night, I'm thinking of a black dress shirt with a banded (mandarin) collar and the same black studs. That's our compromise for wearing the tux twice during the cruise.

Okay ladies, any opinions on the black shirt without a tie?

Nekita:cool:

Hi all!

I can't believe I'm not the only one who has a Try-On Day! I just had mine today! Pulled all kinds of things out of the closet, things I haven't worn since last summer, things with the tags still on them, brand new shoes that go in the "What Was I Thinking?!" column, all kinds of stuff. I was actually pleasantly surprised with some of my finds. I too sat down and made out a list of what to wear to dinner every single night, plus some alternates (since I'm expecting my little visitor on the cruise and I'm not sure just how "puffy" I'll be feeling...). My formal night dresses are still at the seamstress, should be done in a week. So I think I'm all set! Soooo excited! It was a lot of fun to spend the day going through clothes and coordinating outfits, I felt like a little kid playing dress up! :)

I was going to do this a few days ago, somethings had come up so today was my "try on" day......yeah, everything fits! I even managed to elimate a few items.....you know what they say "take away half the clothes and double the money!" Besides, I can always "buy" along the way.....:)

• 2 weeks later...

Try On Day is a great idea!! On my last cruise, I thought I brought everything. But when I was getting dressed for formal night, I discovered I had forgotten my black camisole to wear under a very sheer black top. You could clearly see my black bra underneath. I started to panic!! There was no way I could go to dinner. I ended up wearing my black 1 piece bathing suit over my bra and under my top and skirt. Luckily, I had not worn it recently and it was dry. But, it was extremly uncomfortable and I could not wait to change after dinner. Lesson Learned!!!!

Mikelincj,

I wish I had a dollar for everytime a women forgot to bring her black, nude or white camisole for her sheer top! I'd be rich!

Then did you ever notice how the boutiques on cruise ships never sell these items??? The stores are managed by dumb and dumber! LOL!

Jane

BTW I now keep the camisoles for the blouses that need them on the hanger with them in the closet. That way, I can't forget them. Learned that one the hard way! :-)

Archived