Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Hi everyone - I'm back after a fabulous cruise. Yes - we had one engine down, yes we lost three and a half ports (again!) because of it, yes some passengers started to "riot" about it, but the weather was perfect the ports we made were great, the food too good...... I'm happy !! Have a good trip Donald.

Hi everyone - I'm back after a fabulous cruise. Yes - we had one engine down, yes we lost three and a half ports (again!) because of it, yes some passengers started to "riot" about it, but the weather was perfect the ports we made were great, the food too good...... I'm happy !! Have a good trip Donald.

I'm pleased that you had a fabulous cruise, with good weather, great ports and good food, despite the ship having one engine down and missing 3.1/2 ports! Sounds like you've got a good positive attitude!

Engines down, missed ports - all part of the adventure of travel!

That still beats staying at home, in most cases.

It certainly did Michael, if only to feel real, warm sun again !!

Is Celebrity Sending Another Cruise Ship Off to Germany?

(6:32 p.m. EDT) -- Early bookers know that this is the time of year cruise lines start releasing the next year or two's itineraries -- but fans of Celebrity Cruises may have noticed a notable exception.

According to cruisebusiness.com, the Web site for trade magazine Cruise Business Review, Celebrity has published programs through spring 2012 for all of its ships -- except Celebrity Mercury. For that ship, itineraries are only available through April of 2011, confirmed via a visit to the cruise line's Web site.

The hypothesis is that Celebrity may be planning to transfer Mercury to TUI Cruises, a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and German shipping and travel giant TUI AG, after it finishes out its current program of sailings. The ship would join the old Celebrity Galaxy (a sister ship to Mercury), which has been sailing for TUI Cruises under the name Mein Schiff since last year.

There is some evidence to support the theory. Cruise Business Review's Teijo Niemela tells us Mercury hasn't had a significant upgrade of late (and that the line wouldn't make that investment just to transfer the ship out of the fleet). Niemela also points out an additional eyebrow-raiser: the fact that Baltimore recently announced Celebrity Century would replace Mercury in that port.

We're willing to put all our chips in on this bet -- Cruise Business Review speculated (correctly) the same fate for Galaxy before Celebrity made its formal announcement.

A Celebrity spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

Stay tuned.

--by Melissa Paloti, Managing Editor

From News.

It has long been speculated/rumored that Mercury would be leaving Celebrity and going to TUI.

It has been discussed on this thread also, Saga Ruby making comment re TUI, not knowing that it was a German cruise operator. I believe she thought it might have had something to do with expectorating.

Edited by Druke I

It has long been speculated/rumored that Mercury would be leaving Celebrity and going to TUI.

It has been discussed on this thread also, Saga Ruby making comment re TUI, not knowing that it was a German cruise operator. I believe she thought it might have had something to do with expectorating.

That is why I provided the News link, Michael :)

For you old ship buffs, there are a couple of interesting Peter Knego blogs on http://www.maritimematters.com re a couple of old US troop ships (the E.D. Patrick & the Pope) being pulled out of the Reserve Fleet at Suisun, CA., and being readied for tow to Texas, and ultimate scrapping.

I remember the E.D. Patrick and some others from my days in the US Army - but I don't recall the Pope.

Anyway, an interesting read.

Thanks Michael. Agree an interesting read.

Thought you might enjoy this from another era.

P&O ss Chusan Entertainments Programme

For the history buffs -

Recorded light background music will be played before meals in some of the Public Rooms.

The Orchestra will play light music in the Lounge most mornings between 11.00 am and noon.

Weather permitting, Daily Sports Competitions will be organised, the various events being run on a "One Day Marathon" basis.

A Tote on the Ship's daily run from Noon to Noon (or port departure to Noon) will be in operation, Each Ticket Costing 2/-.

Indoor Games Meetings, Cards, Chess, Draughts etc. will be promulgated in the Good Morning Sheet.

Weather permitting, the Swimming Pool will be open when the ship is at sea, but not in port.

This programme shows only the main entertainments and is subject to alteration.

The Programme is four pages, commencing 9th January from Southhampton, finishing in Sydney on 24th February (continuing on to Brisbane.)

A memorable itinerary -

Southampton

Rotterdam

Lisbon

Dakar

Cape Town

Durban

Mombasa

Bombay

Colombo

Freemantle

Adelaide

Melbourne

Sydney

P&O ss Chusan Menu 21/1/70

For the history buffs -

Menu

Grapefruit Cocktail

Consomme Duchesse

Grilled Salmon, Parsley Butter

Baked Spiced Ham, Florentine

Chicken Saute, Creole

Cold

Roast Beef

Lambs' Tongue

Lettuce and Mixed Vegetable Salad

Mayonnaise French Lemon

Minted Garden Peas

Fried Potatoes

Cream Caramel

Peach Melba

Cheddar Kraft

Assorted Biscuits

Welsh Rarebit

Fresh Fruit

Dates

Mixed Nuts

Crystallized Ginger

Coffee, Ceylon Tea, Cocoa, American Coffee

Tea and Coffee are also served in the public rooms

Chef: D J Bayne M.H.C.I.

Wednesday, 21st January, 1970

Thanks.

I do remember the Chusan, along with Himalaya, and a few others from P&O and Orient Line before it merged with P&O.

They used to pull into San Francisco.

I have a very good book, "From Chusan to Sea Princess, the Australian Services of the P&O and Orient Lines", by Malcolm R. Gordon. Found it in a small bookstore in I think Ketchikan Alaska years ago.

Edited by Druke I

Thanks.

I do remember the Chusan, along with Himalaya, and a few others from P&O and Orient Line before it merged with P&O.

They used to pull into San Francisco.

I have a very good book, "From Chusan to Sea Princess, the Australian Services of the P&O and Orient Lines", by Malcolm R. Gordon. Found it in a small bookstore in I think Ketchikan Alaska years ago.

Amazing just where you can find interesting treasures, Michael.

Some interesting things you have there Marion.

I have uploaded photos from my recent trip for anyone interested.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseOnArtemisEasternMediterranean2010#

Enjoyed your slideshow of sights and ships, Sharon. Siesta snap was a favourite.

Thanks for the photo-share.

I still say Artemis is a fine looking ship! Loved her as Royal Princess.

She is a beauty - but then designed by a Dane and built by Finland. Scandinavian design through and through.

Off tomorrow for a Channel Hop on QM2 for four nights. Just to ease the withdrawal pains you understand :) Have a good weekend everyone.

Reference Royal Princess aka Artemis - I never was able to find out why P&O/Princess did not exercise their option for a second ship of the same design.

Have you ever compared Royal Princess to the former Crystal Harmony (now NYK's Asuka II)? It is almost a "knock-off" of the Royal Princess - same designer, although Harmony was built by Mitsubishi, Nagasaki, Japan.

Hey Saga Ruby - just look at the numbers on this thread now. Over One-hundred and five thousand views!!!

Edited by Druke I

It is now being reported on other sites that Saga Rose sailed past Shanghai and is now at nearby Jiangyin where the shipbreakers are located. Her future is now clear: there will be no reprieve for her but rather she will be torn apart and melted down into steel for Chinese industry. I'm very glad that I was able to sail on her twice in her long and distinguised career. Farewell old girl.

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

I got back home this morning from the Mercury. I had a great time! Overall the weather in Alaska was mostly sunny, and I never once wore the gloves which I brought, nor used the umbrella. I got a Mexican-type suntan. Victoria and Vancouver were colder than Alaska! I'll talk more later after I've done two weeks' load of laundry and have settled back into home routine.

During the cruise, a press release was included with the programme that the Mercury's last cruise with Celebrity would be February 14, 2011. I certainly will miss her.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

I got back home this morning from the Mercury. I had a great time! Overall the weather in Alaska was mostly sunny, and I never once wore the gloves which I brought, nor used the umbrella. I got a Mexican-type suntan. Victoria and Vancouver were colder than Alaska! I'll talk more later after I've done two weeks' load of laundry and have settled back into home routine.

During the cruise, a press release was included with the programme that the Mercury's last cruise with Celebrity would be February 14, 2011. I certainly will miss her.

Donald.

Welcome home, Donald. Pleased that you were able to get a Mexican type suntan and that you had a great time.

"Well Yvonne and Dick, I, too, am looking forward to meeting you! I'll embark at Quebec Oct 9 and will be a "resident" on Poesia for an entire year. I am a

single traveler at an advanced age but I figure this beats assisted living any time, as long as I can still walk and talk! Arrivederci! Musicus

Previous cruises (on HAL): Alaska, Panama Canal 2009/10"

From a MSC thread.

I took this photograph at Hubbard Glacier. Unfortunately we were unable to get closer to the glacier because of the extent of loose ice in the water. However, thanks to the perfect weather the scenery was still spectacular.

z2010_05_25Hubbard.jpg

Donald.

at least i went on her before she went, one week till i gpo to newcastle for 1 nt cruise to soton on SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE. after all my problems with mum passing away and work not good either now i am mioving hose. it could not come at a better time. wish i could afford to go on a longer cruise but maybe things will improve.

dave

I took this photograph at Hubbard Glacier. Unfortunately we were unable to get closer to the glacier because of the extent of loose ice in the water. However, thanks to the perfect weather the scenery was still spectacular.

z2010_05_25Hubbard.jpg

Donald.

Beautiful photo, Donald. Love the bright blue sky.

at least i went on her before she went, one week till i gpo to newcastle for 1 nt cruise to soton on SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE. after all my problems with mum passing away and work not good either now i am mioving hose. it could not come at a better time. wish i could afford to go on a longer cruise but maybe things will improve.

dave

Bon Voyage for your short cruise on Spirit of Adventure, Dave. Hope this is just the start of things looking up for you.

Hi everyone - I'm back after a fabulous cruise. Yes - we had one engine down, yes we lost three and a half ports (again!) because of it, yes some passengers started to "riot" about it, but the weather was perfect the ports we made were great, the food too good...... I'm happy !!Donald.

You have a wonderful attitude about the vagaries, both positive and negative, for travelers. Good on you, ships cat.

Engines down, missed ports - all part of the adventure of travel! That still beats staying at home, in most cases.

I absolutely agree. It's the adventure, not the looky-loos, that make an abfab trip. I have crystal-clear memories of the speed bumps I have encountered in various locales which proved to be the highlights of my trips. The car and driver that didn't turn up in Mumbai, the guide in Bangkok who said the River Kwai was completely dry and dusty and the drive would be an all-day trip, the driver in Hobart, Tasmania who took me home to meet his wife, a fine morning in Istanbul where I was leaning out the window listening to the tourist-boat guide describe our restored raki factory hotel - the list is endless.

It is now being reported on other sites that Saga Rose sailed past Shanghai and is now at nearby Jiangyin where the shipbreakers are located. Her future is now clear: there will be no reprieve for her but rather she will be torn apart and melted down into steel for Chinese industry. I'm very glad that I was able to sail on her twice in her long and distinguished career. Farewell old girl.

I embrace my fond memories of this great ship - her perfect size, her Filipino crew and hotel staff which made up such a hospitable combination for a fine maritime experience, her dignity, her civility. They can break down the superstructure, they can cut her steel, but they can never take away her place in our memories.

And our loverly Saga Rose thread rolls on.

Ruby