Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Reference Royal Princess aka Artemis - I never was able to find out why P&O/Princess did not exercise their option for a second ship of the same design.

Have you ever compared Royal Princess to the former Crystal Harmony (now NYK's Asuka II)? It is almost a "knock-off" of the Royal Princess - same designer, although Harmony was built by Mitsubishi, Nagasaki, Japan.

No, but she is almost identical to Fred Olsens Balmoral -same designer, different shipyard. Thanks for that info.

Donald - fabulous picture in Alaska.

While onboard QM2, I read that Commodore Warner was once on Royal Princess and in fact met his wife there. I ended up with a 40 minute chat with him on the Bridge of the QM2 !! Serendipity indeed, and more food for the book.

Hope you enjoy your short cruise Dave. Thanks for waving us off on QM2.

Balmoral was the Crown Odyssey, of the late great Royal Cruise Line.

We sailed her twice while she was with Royal - 1st time she was Greek flagged, second time flagged somewhere in the Caribbean, I think.

Nice ship, although I did prefer Royal Princess. Royal Princess handled rough seas better, in my opinion.

Another dream to be crossed off my Wish List - 4 days on Via Rail's Canadian.

I have wanted to do this rail trip, ever since I enjoyed the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth, in my youth.

I did part by bus, also in my youth, on a three month's Greyhound Bus Pass. As I didn't want to miss any part of the Canadian Rockies, I travelled Calgary to Vancouver, Vancouver to Calgary, then back from Calgary to Vancouver. What was I thinking?

Any suite hotel recommendations for a couple of nights in Vancouver mid Oct at the end, Donald? (I'll be travelling with a married couple, hence the need for a suite/2 rooms.)

We'll be travelling on the Canadian for the Canadian Thanksgiving. Do you think they might give us a special spread? Should I bring my Vegemite?

Edited by MMDown Under

I've taken Via Rail all the way across Canada. The prairies go on for a long time, and tend to be a bit boring, but the Canadian Rockies are grand. Much different (greener) than the American Rockies, and I think the Canadian Rockies are prettier.

The Rocky Mountaineer, to or from Vancouver, is a great trip also. They break it up midway (Kamloops), so all of one day is spent in the Rockies, and all the next in the canyon leading to Vancouver. That way you miss no great scenery because of nightfall.

Any suite hotel recommendations for a couple of nights in Vancouver mid Oct at the end, Donald? (I'll be travelling with a married couple, hence the need for a suite/2 rooms.)

We'll be travelling on the Canadian for the Canadian Thanksgiving. Do you think they might give us a special spread? Should I bring my Vegemite?

There are a number of hotels with suites in downtown Vancouver: Cascadia Hotel & Suites, Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, and Hampton Inn & Suites. I would think that there are suites in Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre, The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Pacific Rim & The Fairmont Waterfront. You can check them out on the Internet.

I have no idea if Vegemite is sold in Vancouver, as I've never checked out the imported food items sections in supermarkets.

Donald.

I've taken Via Rail all the way across Canada. The prairies go on for a long time, and tend to be a bit boring, but the Canadian Rockies are grand. Much different (greener) than the American Rockies, and I think the Canadian Rockies are prettier.

The Rocky Mountaineer, to or from Vancouver, is a great trip also. They break it up midway (Kamloops), so all of one day is spent in the Rockies, and all the next in the canyon leading to Vancouver. That way you miss no great scenery because of nightfall.

That would have been a wonderful trip.

Our train trip from Prince Rupert to Jasper, with stopovers in Smithers and Prince George, was a memorable journey. We also took the train/bus from Victoria to the top of Vancouver Island, to catch the ferry to Alaska.

A funny story about our stay at Pioneer Backpackers Inn, in Prince Rupert.

We chose this accommodation for its location and free transfers, knowing it would probably be used by mainly young people.

When I was sitting in the front lounge, an American visitor poked his head in the door and asked whether anyone could stay there, or was it only for pioneers? I composed myself long enough to tell him that anyone could stay there. But I have to admit I did look like a pioneer!

There are a number of hotels with suites in downtown Vancouver: Cascadia Hotel & Suites, Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, and Hampton Inn & Suites. I would think that there are suites in Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre, The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Pacific Rim & The Fairmont Waterfront. You can check them out on the Internet.

I have no idea if Vegemite is sold in Vancouver, as I've never checked out the imported food items sections in supermarkets.

Donald.

Thanks Donald. Sorry - the Vegemite was an Aussie joke (meaning, it is so treasured by Aussies, would it add anything to the Thanksgiving Spread?).

i hope thuings look up for me too, things have not been been great lately. but finally moved into my new place 2 mins away. still sorting out all my stuff the neioghbours are a lot friendly than at my old house. yes monday off on the spirit of adventure i certainly feel i need a rest. then 2 weeks off to holland hopefully the ncl epic will make it on time.

dave

i did the via train years ago montreal to vancover and back had a free ticket just paid for accom. had dormitory going and a roomette back it was great!

dave

Wow that would have been a wonderful train trip from Montreal to Vancouver and back and you can't beat the price.

We're splashing out this trip on roomette accommodation, with meals provided.

On the Skeena we had economy seats, as we had two stopovers between Prince Rupert and Jasper. I'd do that trip again.

Edited by MMDown Under

I've selected my four favourite pictures from last month's cruise:

2010_05afog.jpg

Fog at sea. These three people knew how to just relax and enjoy the sight.

2010_05bstorm.jpg

Storm at sea the day before arriving in Seattle two hours late. Waves eventually reached 32 feet high, and 80-mph winds made walking on the top decks impossible.

2010_5fHoonah.jpg

Crow perched atop the sign at Hoonah. I liked the tranquility of the unusually clear, blue sky.

2010_5gwhales.jpg

Up & close during a whale-watching tour at Icy Strait Point.

Donald.

well after my mums passing work shortage and moving house i am taking a much needed break on a 1 nt cruise newcastle to soton with sagazone group. no sign of the ship yet as they are putting as new engine inside so hjope everything is ok. hopefully ncl epic is going to make it to rotterdam on june 19th aswell

dave

Some very sad photos over at http://www.maritimematters.com of the late, great Independence, with a broken back, awaiting scrapping.

We sailed on her sister ship, Constitution, back in Dec 84, and she was lovely. She sank while being towed to the scrappers in Dec 97.

They were among the last of the American built passenger liners.

What a sad end ! There ought to be some sort of dignity in a ship's demise but this isn't it!

On a happier note, my co-author and I are knee deep in fabulous images of Royal Princess/Artemis and are going to have a tough time to choose what goes in the book. Wonderful visit to the ship yesterday with access to all the behind-the-scenes areas too, so now with just 8 weeks to complete, I think we are going to be very very very busy! Still, there are much worse ways to spend time than researching ships. :)

Michael - Those photos of Independence are shocking. It's one thing to talk about a liner being taken to the breakers but a whole 'nuther thing to see the reality of same. How very sad.

Donald - Your Alaskan photos are beautiful - thanks for sharing. In the heat of a Texas summer, your pix make me feel much cooler!

Marion - In talking about Maui and other small islands, I was thinking about Palm Cove and Reef House on your Gold Coast. Such a loverly spot that I greatly enjoyed. During my stay, I was confused about available times for roast chicken at a small cafe down the dusty road; when I went to pick up a bird, they were closed, so I strolled down the "street" past the melaleuca (paperbarktrees), and found a small shop at the top of an outdoor staircase. After picking up a few small things, I spotted apples I had not seen before. The shopkeeper said they were a new variety named Pink Lady - this apple has gone on to become quite popular. So every time I see a Pink Lady in my local supermarket, I flash back to Palm Cove and one of my favourite visits.

My daughter has moved to Houston this week for her one-year pediatric pathology fellowship. I'm happy she was awarded the fellowship but sad to wave goodbye.

Ruby

Yes, she is the ugliest apartment barge built so far. There is barely any open deck space for the thousands of passengers, who are effectively imprisoned inside the vessel where the intention is that they will spend a lot of money on a variety of stuff. Sadly, first-time cruisers will expect that is what a cruise experience is all about. :(

Donald.

Now if you want to see pictures of a really UGLY apartment barge style ship, go to www.cruisenewsdaily.com, and look at the pictures of the just delivered NCL Epic.That is one homely top-heavy looking ship.

Michael - It looks like a cartoon ship! Could not possibly be real. But after I quit laughing at that photo, I dubbed the ship SS Rollover. Altho' I'm sure she is as stable as any other ship, I would be queasy onboard for the entire cruise, dreading the worst. Seeing Epic upright is more ugly a sight than seeing Independence on the breakers beach.

Yes, she is the ugliest apartment barge built so far. There is barely any open deck space for the thousands of passengers, who are effectively imprisoned inside the vessel where the intention is that they will spend a lot of money on a variety of stuff. Sadly, first-time cruisers will expect that is what a cruise experience is all about. Donald.

Donald - you have made astute observations about the current state of cruising. And you are on-point about newbie cruisers thinking that the SS Rollover is "normal." This trend of "keep 'em inside" attracts many new customers but repels those of us who enjoy the beauty of a maritime experience.

Digression - I have questions in reference to seeing the aurora borealis. Does Canada count air temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit? Have you ever been to Yellowknife (a polar oval exists in that spot)? Do you see the polar wind in Vancouver often or is it a rare event?

Ruby

Digression - I have questions in reference to seeing the aurora borealis. Does Canada count air temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit? Have you ever been to Yellowknife (a polar oval exists in that spot)? Do you see the polar wind in Vancouver often or is it a rare event?

Ruby

Canada has counted temperatures in Celsius since we went metric during the early 1970s. It took me perhaps half a dozen years to get used to Celsius, and to stop mentally converting it to Fahrenheit.

I haven't been to Yellowknife. The farthest north in Canada that I've been to was Whitehorse in the Yukon. I saw aurora borealis only once in my life, and, surprising to say, it was in Montreal during the 1960s. I went outside during a frigid winter night and marvelled at the shimmering spectacle in the sky.

During winters Vancouver sometimes gets blasts of Arctic air that have made it over the Rockies. But, alas, no aurora borealis.

Donald.

Donald - Your Alaskan photos are beautiful - thanks for sharing. In the heat of a Texas summer, your pix make me feel much cooler!

I love your favourite photo of the threesome in the fog. I assume you just came across that scene, Donald.

Marion - In talking about Maui and other small islands, I was thinking about Palm Cove and Reef House on your Gold Coast. Such a loverly spot that I greatly enjoyed. During my stay, I was confused about available times for roast chicken at a small cafe down the dusty road; when I went to pick up a bird, they were closed, so I strolled down the "street" past the melaleuca (paperbarktrees), and found a small shop at the top of an outdoor staircase. After picking up a few small things, I spotted apples I had not seen before. The shopkeeper said they were a new variety named Pink Lady - this apple has gone on to become quite popular. So every time I see a Pink Lady in my local supermarket, I flash back to Palm Cove and one of my favourite visits.

My daughter has moved to Houston this week for her one-year pediatric pathology fellowship. I'm happy she was awarded the fellowship but sad to wave goodbye.

Ruby

I think one of the reasons I love the Hawaiian Islands so much is that they remind me of tropical North Queensland. Fancy coming across Pink Lady apples originally at Palm Beach. Last time I stayed in Palm Beach, that small shop at the top of outdoor stairs was still there.

I know what you mean about being happy for your daughter to be awarded a fellowship, but sad to wave her goodbye. Whenever I miss my daughters, I smile when I remember one of our well known authors saying she wanted to give her daughters wings, but she really meant them to live just around the corner. :)

Just curious - can someone tell me how the SS Rollover sustains an even keel in high seas? Short version - what keeps that thing upright when it looks so top-heavy?

Whenever I miss my daughters, I smile when I remember one of our well known authors saying she wanted to give her daughters wings, but she really meant them to live just around the corner.

Marion - thanks for that. Your quote has me smiling.

Ruby