Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Donald, how did you manage to insert the picture into the body of your posting without having to put in a clickable link? I think that is the first time I've seen that done on this site.

P.S. The picture disappeared again. I guess I must have to select something to have these pictures automatically appear, but what and where do I find that?

The original picture is in my Photobucket site. I copy the link to my Cruise Critic post, and thus the picture appears. I'm not sure about the disappearance which you mentioned, but it must be internet interference. Is the picture of the passcards visible again?

Donald.

REMF = Rear Echelon Mother F-----s.

You may well have been close in interpretation. Inasmuch as my father was very Edwardian, I doubt he would have used such language, but the Manchester Pals probably did have some equally endearing term.

REMF = Rear Echelon Mother F-----s.

You may well have been close in interpretation. Inasmuch as my father was very Edwardian, I doubt he would have used such language, but the Manchester Pals probably did have some equally endearing term.

Well, I got the last two words right :rolleyes:!!

Greetings Everyone,

We've just returned from a couple of months road trip to North Queensland - heaven!

Have a mountain of emails to catch up on.

Have only read front page so far. Ships Cat - your cruise sounds wonderful.

Hope this finds everyone well and happy.

Our younger daughter is in Croatia at present and absolutely loving it. Spent first fortnight in Split.

Canadian Pacific used to have several liners called Empress of Scotland, Empress of England, Empress of Ireland and Empress of Britain. I've often wondered why there was never an Empress of Wales. Odd, eh?

Donald.

It is odd. Perhaps they should have considered naming a ship Empress of Whales.

Hi, Marion and Barry! I'm glad to hear that you had a great couple of months in North Queensland. Did you have a recreational van to sleep in, or did you stay in hotels here and there?

I've heard nice things about Split, Croatia. No surprise to me that your daughter loves it there. :)

Donald.

Hi, Marion and Barry! I'm glad to hear that you had a great couple of months in North Queensland. Did you have a recreational van to sleep in, or did you stay in hotels here and there?

I've heard nice things about Split, Croatia. No surprise to me that your daughter loves it there. :)

Donald.

Hi Donald,

We rent a couple of cottages for a fortnight each. The rest of the time we stay in apartments, villas in caravan parks and a unique farm stay in an orchard at Cape Tribulation (where the rainforest meets the sea).

We enjoy meeting lots of people travelling in recreational vehicles.

I had reservations for the Grand Orient cruise on Voyages of Discovery for January but had to cancel for health reasons. I am sad that I will miss this itinerary but it is out of my hands.

I have made my reservations for May on the first cruise of Voyages to Antiquity's M/V Aegean Odyssey to Greece and Turkey instead. It is the newest venture by Gerry Herrod who did the Marco Polo and VOD among others. This has a more educational complement to it provided by the itineraries planned by John Julius Norwich. Lord Norwich has written a number of books about the history of the area.

There is so much to say about it that I am providing this link which will be able to give you more and better information than I am able to.

www.voyagestoantiquity.com

My heart is always in the Mediterranean.

Fran

Edited by franu

I had reservations for the Grand Orient cruise on Voyages of Discovery for January but had to cancel for health reasons. I am sad that I will miss this itinerary but it is out of my hands.

I have made my reservations for May on the first cruise of Voyages to Antiquity's M/V Aegean Odyssey to Greece and Turkey instead. It is the newest venture by Gerry Herrod who did the Marco Polo and VOD among others. This has a more educational complement to it provided by the itineraries planned by John Julius Norwich. Lord Norwich has written a number of books about the history of the area.

There is so much to say about it that I am providing this link which will be able to give you more and better information than I am able to.

www.voyagestoantiquity.com

My heart is always in the Mediterranean.

Fran

Fran,

Sorry to hear of your ill health and the necessity to cancel your planned Grand Orient Cruise on the Voyage of Discovery, in January.

Delighted to learn of your new cruise booking for May on Aegean Odyssey to Greece and Turkey instead. How exciting! It certainly sounds made for you.

Thanks for sharing the link, as I've been in another world enjoying the on line brochure.

I also am so sorry to hear of your VOD cancellation in January - what a letdown. However, having a cruise in your future is always a pick-me-up. All best wishes that you can get your health into good order, win the lottery, find your new favourite ship, and sail off into the Med with a smile on your face.

I saw Aegean Odyssey docked in Piraeus and she looked like a fine ship - exactly the right size. Which of the nine itineraries are you considering?

Since you say your heart is always in the Mediterranean, I hope that your May cruise will be a spectacular addition to your memory book.

Ruby

I am going on the first cruise; “THE LIGHT OF GREECE OPENED MY EYES". Although I have been to most of those ports, it has been about 20 yrs. ago. They are among my favourites.

I look forward to the ports which are new to me such as Aphrodisias, Samos & Monemvasia while excited by the return to Ephesus to see the "Terrace Houses", to Mycenae and always thrilled to return to Istanbul.

Pre-cruise I will be visiting friends living an hour outside of Venice. I had better start losing weight now as I know the foods that I will eat in Italy. My mouth waters just thinking of it.

I have some friends who will be sailing with me. They are a married couple who I feel comfortable travelling with and have done so with my late husband and more recently. It works well for us.

Fran

Well, inspired by Fran and everyone's talk of small ships and cultural cruises, I have have just booked with a friend to travel on Swan Hellenic's Minerva in Feb 2011. Has anyone been on her? I will have to do my first long haul flight as we sail from Bangkok to Chennai in India, via Singapore, Malaysia and the Andaman Islands. I am sooo excited!

Ships cat - Congrats on booking your cruise around the Indian Ocean. To see an entirely different part of the world is quite exciting but be prepared for a whole 'nuther kind of humidity.

To All - I enjoyed Peter Knego's review of Saga Rose on his new thread on this forum. I was gobsmacked to see that he was/is in my cabin, #283. Altho' it is an inside cabin, it is a huge room and I enjoyed it very much. His pix bring back many wonderful memories and having Captain David Ward-Owen in command of that beautiful ship on her last voyages is a fine decision by Saga.

Peter's photos of Marco Polo and other small but classic ships are appreciated by those of us who "remember when."

Ruby

Ships cat - Congrats on booking your cruise around the Indian Ocean. To see an entirely different part of the world is quite exciting but be prepared for a whole 'nuther kind of humidity.

To All - I enjoyed Peter Knego's review of Saga Rose on his new thread on this forum. I was gobsmacked to see that he was/is in my cabin, #283. Altho' it is an inside cabin, it is a huge room and I enjoyed it very much. His pix bring back many wonderful memories and having Captain David Ward-Owen in command of that beautiful ship on her last voyages is a fine decision by Saga.

Peter's photos of Marco Polo and other small but classic ships are appreciated by those of us who "remember when."

Ruby

I know Ruby...and I don't "do" humidity very well! Still, it is in February so will be at its lowest..I hope.

I enjoyed the Saga Rose blog too. It brought back very happy memories of Saga Ruby too!

I see that HMS Balmoral, thru the auspices of Fred. Olsen, will be retracing the path of the Titanic on the 100th anniversary of this tragedy. Is anybody going to book the crossing?

I was musing about things I would not want to see on the recreation of this voyage - like a small group of musicians on deck playing hymns in the later evening.

Ruby

I see that HMS Balmoral, thru the auspices of Fred. Olsen, will be retracing the path of the Titanic on the 100th anniversary of this tragedy. Is anybody going to book the crossing?

I was musing about things I would not want to see on the recreation of this voyage - like a small group of musicians on deck playing hymns in the later evening.

Ruby

I had heard about this Titanic anniversary cruise. Sounds interesting, but I won't be booking on it. I suppose that the Titanic First-Class menu will be re-created. Will passengers be asked to wear period outfits to add to the flavour of the anniversary?

Donald

Edited by Kapricorn

I am going on the first cruise; “THE LIGHT OF GREECE OPENED MY EYES". Although I have been to most of those ports, it has been about 20 yrs. ago. They are among my favourites.

I look forward to the ports which are new to me such as Aphrodisias, Samos & Monemvasia while excited by the return to Ephesus to see the "Terrace Houses", to Mycenae and always thrilled to return to Istanbul.

Pre-cruise I will be visiting friends living an hour outside of Venice. I had better start losing weight now as I know the foods that I will eat in Italy. My mouth waters just thinking of it.

I have some friends who will be sailing with me. They are a married couple who I feel comfortable travelling with and have done so with my late husband and more recently. It works well for us.

Fran

How wonderful to be going on the first cruise of the new line, with the added bonus of visit to your friends outside Venice. You must be excited.

I do like to bookend my cruises with land content at each end, which adds to the experience.

I'm still waiting for the brochure, with anticipation. Post takes longer Down Under.

I was impressed that there will be a number of single cabins.

Ruby

It will be interesting to see how popular this cruise will be.

It will be interesting to see how popular this cruise will be.

I know someone on board but it is not one I wish to do. There is still availability.

Just back from 4 nights on Queen Victoria. Another big ship, but very smart inside and excellent service. I prefer the QM2 though.

I know someone on board but it is not one I wish to do. There is still availability.

Just back from 4 nights on Queen Victoria. Another big ship, but very smart inside and excellent service. I prefer the QM2 though.

Me neither!

I'd like to try one of the Queens if I was doing a trans Atlantic or trans Pacific cruise.

In the meantime, I've been looking at some small ships, which have the advantage of interesting itineraries because of their size.

Can you tell us more about the QV? Is she a megaship, are there multiple "special" restaurants? Were you roller-blading from bow to stern and back again? Are there plenty of spaces for quiet deck-chair activities?

Ruby