Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

It is always difficult when you've known a ship prior to modernisation, as the changes aren't always for the better. It must have been ahead of its time with an indoor pool, which would have been great in cold climates and poor weather. I do love a separate cinema.

It is an interesting trip down Memory Lane to think of indoor pools as on Empress of England when my family sailed on her. The beautifully-tiled interior pool below decks was, of course, restricted to the First Class passengers.

I am curious. What does that mean "a separate cinema?" Aren't cinemas always separate?

In one of my bigger surprises, I was inundated with Saga Cruises brochures until just a month ago, inviting me to join the Final Voyage of Saga Rose this fall. When I was onboard her in 2007, the gossip was that there was a waiting list of 10,000 names to sail on her last trip. Perhaps Saga was trying to sell the last, worst cabins but would it be financially fruitful to put out brochures at this late date?

The cruise industry never fails to surprise. I enjoyed the video of the night-time sailaway of Oasis from her shipyard. She was in a crouch as she sailed under the shipyard bridge at night with her stacks folded down. They say she cleared the bridge with a foot or two to spare. What a sight!

Ruby

It is an interesting trip down Memory Lane to think of indoor pools as on Empress of England when my family sailed on her. The beautifully-tiled interior pool below decks was, of course, restricted to the First Class passengers.

I am curious. What does that mean "a separate cinema?" Aren't cinemas always separate?

In one of my bigger surprises, I was inundated with Saga Cruises brochures until just a month ago, inviting me to join the Final Voyage of Saga Rose this fall. When I was onboard her in 2007, the gossip was that there was a waiting list of 10,000 names to sail on her last trip. Perhaps Saga was trying to sell the last, worst cabins but would it be financially fruitful to put out brochures at this late date?

The cruise industry never fails to surprise. I enjoyed the video of the night-time sailaway of Oasis from her shipyard. She was in a crouch as she sailed under the shipyard bridge at night with her stacks folded down. They say she cleared the bridge with a foot or two to spare. What a sight!

Ruby

Yes, one forgets there were different classes on ships, Ruby.

No, unfortunately, not all ships have separate cinemas. They just use the theatre for live shows and movies.

Separate cinema - a room dedicated to showing of movies.

On most ships today, movies are shown in a multi-purpose lounge, which usually does not have theater type seating on a sloping floor. Some ships show movies only on the in-cabin TV system.

Marion,

I was quite surprised to receive my brochures (2) from Voyages to Antiquity so quickly. It is very usual that I do not receive anything by mail from the cruise lines nor do my friends as we live in Canada. I understand your desire to hold them in your hands and flip pages back and forth to check on things. I hope that you get yours soon.

Fran

Marion,

I was quite surprised to receive my brochures (2) from Voyages to Antiquity so quickly. It is very usual that I do not receive anything by mail from the cruise lines nor do my friends as we live in Canada. I understand your desire to hold them in your hands and flip pages back and forth to check on things. I hope that you get yours soon.

Fran

Fran,

I sent another request off today for brochures (as we've been having computer problems, so might have got lost in the system).

Yes, having the brochure to devour the information, as one plans, is a pleasurable part of the overall travel experience.

Thought everyone was away - this thread has been so quiet this past week or so.

Yes, it has been quiet, Michael.

Did you see that giant ship, Oasis of the Seas, arrive in Fort Lauderdale?

I wonder if they've thought of a better system for getting people off, in ports of call, from a ship of that size.

Edited by MMDown Under

Reference Oasis - I did see some of the videos. Much too big for my tastes. I don't think it is a very good looking ship, but not as UGLY as the new Norwegian Epic.

I think it is far too big and definitely ugly from the outside, so hate to think what the new Norwegian Epic must look like.

However, after just doing a virtual tour of the ship, I can see it will meet the expectations of those Americans who view the ship as the destination. It reminded me of Disneyworld, with its attractions and clever internal design.

Carnival CEO in Australia said Americans view the ship as the destination, whilst Australians view the ports of call as the attraction. Could be why P&O sends their old ships Down Under.

BTW Whilst I'm visiting Sydney, I plan to attend the naming ceremony by our Governor General of the Pacific Jewel on 12th December at Circular Quay.

i'm going on the BALMORAL in 3 weeks time. looking forward to seeing what i think of her as heard mixed responses. only 7 nights though not 107! will report back before christmas.

hi saga ruby heatrd anything about what is happening to SAGA ROSE when she gets back from the last cruise?

trying NORWEGIAN EPIC nexty yuear on transatlantic i know she is not a pretty ship but want to see for myself

dave

i'm going on the BALMORAL in 3 weeks time. looking forward to seeing what i think of her as heard mixed responses. only 7 nights though not 107! will report back before christmas.

hi saga ruby heatrd anything about what is happening to SAGA ROSE when she gets back from the last cruise?

trying NORWEGIAN EPIC nexty yuear on transatlantic i know she is not a pretty ship but want to see for myself

dave

Bon Voyage for your cruise on Balmoral, Dave. I look forward to reading your comments, as it has had mixed reviews as you said.

I hadn't heard of Norwegian Epic, so will be interested in your TA next year.

Not yet, but off on Wednesday on Arcadia for some winter sun (I hope) in the Canaries. I did see footage of Oasis when she alled at Southampton to drop off workmen. Not a ship for me, but as you say, not as ugly as some new builds. I just hate these ships where they don't want you to be able to see the sea!

I've been lurking now and then.

I wish that I was away on a cruise somewhere sunny, as I usually do during November. However, the major carpet renovation in my apartment is scheduled for December 1 and 2, and the nearly $7,000 price tag would have covered three or four cruises that I could have taken.

To lighten the moving around of stuff for the installers, for the past several weeks I've gone through the apartment and got rid of lots of stuff which sat unused in closets and drawers. I was quite the pack rat over the decades!

Donald.

Not yet, but off on Wednesday on Arcadia for some winter sun (I hope) in the Canaries. I did see footage of Oasis when she alled at Southampton to drop off workmen. Not a ship for me, but as you say, not as ugly as some new builds. I just hate these ships where they don't want you to be able to see the sea!

How exciting. I do hope you get lots of winter sun, especially after all the rain and floods in England, which I've been seeing on TV news.

Here, we're having record heat for so early in the summer season, with bushfire alerts. One wonders what Christmas will bring.

Is this your first cruise on Arcadia?

Have you been to the Canaries before? I liked the brief taste we got of the Canary and Madeira Islands, on our TA.

I suspect Oasis will be very popular, but more with those seeking a Disneyworld at Sea experience, rather than those seeking an ocean liner experience.

To lighten the moving around of stuff for the installers, for the past several weeks I've gone through the apartment and got rid of lots of stuff which sat unused in closets and drawers. I was quite the pack rat over the decades!

Donald.

Aren't we all!

We've only shifted once, into a big house, and just brought it all with us. Now we're paying the penalty, as our daughters leave all their stuff with us as well.

I wish that I was away on a cruise somewhere sunny, as I usually do during November. However, the major carpet renovation in my apartment is scheduled for December 1 and 2, and the nearly $7,000 price tag would have covered three or four cruises that I could have taken.

Donald.

Donald, Good luck with your renovations! They always involve unforseen problems, sometimes major. Hopefully they will be done expeditiously and in time to greet the Olympians arriving in Vancouver in a few weeks. Let the games begin! Will you be attending any of the events?

We have booked a Caribbbean cruise on Silver Cloud for March. We've been to all the ports so this one is only for the ultraviolet rays towards the end of the North American winter. We've sworn off of megaships for awhile.

Donald.

You weren't tempted to have threadbare carpets and take 3 or 4 cruises instead, Donald?

Do you have another cruise booked?

Donald, Good luck with your renovations! They always involve unforseen problems, sometimes major. Hopefully they will be done expeditiously and in time to greet the Olympians arriving in Vancouver in a few weeks. Let the games begin! Will you be attending any of the events?

The ripping up of carpet and underlay and their replacement is expected to take just these two days. It involves the living/dining room, hallway and three bedrooms, as well as four closets.

As for the Olympics, I'll just watch the games on TV in the comfort of my den, on my new carpet. There will be game-related activities in my area, including a park two blocks away where a hill with a tree was leveled to make a large flat gathering place for crowds to gather.

I know that you will enjoy your cruise on Silver Cloud.

You weren't tempted to have threadbare carpets and take 3 or 4 cruises instead, Donald?

Do you have another cruise booked?

No, I wasn't tempted. After 15 years of wear and tear, plus copious coffee spillages and stubborn cat vomit stains, I simply can't stand these carpets any longer.

My next cruise is to the Mexican Riviera from San Diego on February 1. The interval of 4 1/2 months since my September cruise is the longest for me since my retirement four years ago.

Donald.

Thanks Marion. It will be my first cruise on Arcadia and first time to the Canaries too. After our wash out " summer" it will be strange to see some sun....IF we see some sun! The floods up north are horrific, so at least we escaped those, but the gales we have had for days are very wearing.

Good luck Donald. I went through that in 2003 when I had the full works - double glazing, new kitchen and new carpets throughout. It's lovely when the workmen have gone though.

Thanks Marion. It will be my first cruise on Arcadia and first time to the Canaries too. After our wash out " summer" it will be strange to see some sun....IF we see some sun! The floods up north are horrific, so at least we escaped those, but the gales we have had for days are very wearing.

Perfect sunny weather in the Canary Islands:

http://www.weatherforecastmap.com/spain/canary_islands/

Enjoy!

Look forward to reading your comments on your return.

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends! We had ours in Canada last month. We seem to be the only two countries in the world that has Thanksgiving.

Donald.

Donald - I knew Canada had Thanksgiving as well as the US, but can never remember the date. So belated Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians.

Do you know the history of Canadian Thanksgiving?