Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

What a fascinating idea to be in town after the swarms of tourists have moved on. I've been told that Toledo, Spain is like that. The city sits on a plateau and the setting sun brings a golden glow to this famous city of decorative metals and steels.

How far does the Marine Highway go - where did you begin and end your motor vacation? Did you remember to drive on the proper side of the road?

I have seen glimpses of the Oprah show Down Under. The Aussie travel bureau did a brilliant job of making that Visit to Oz a fun, exciting experience which was quite evident in the trailers. I hope it boosts tourism for your part of the world.

Digression - I am most pleased to see our forum on Cruise Critic - Other Cruise Lines - becoming a more active part of Cruise Critic. It shows that folks are willing to consider more than just the obvious mass market cruises. The world has, indeed, become a village.

Ruby

The Alaskan Marine Highway is the name of the Alaskan ferry system, so we were able to cruise all the way. We visited Petersburg, Sitka, Haines and Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, by ferry, staying a few nights at each place. We also travelled by an Alaskan Air Pass to visit Anchorage and return to Seattle.

With 656,425 square miles of rugged wilderness, scenic beauty and abundant wildlife, Alaska's a big place! Which means traveling in Alaska presents some unique opportunities. Unlike the 'lower 48' many of our communities are not accessible by a land based road system so in many areas our primary means of travel is by air or sea. The Alaska Marine Highway makes up a large part of our 'highway system' and is a route so special it has earned the title of All American Road, the only Byway of its kind.

The Alaska Marine Highway is the perfect way to visit the communities that populate Alaska's diverse and scenic coastline that totals over 3,500 miles from our southern ports of Bellingham, WA, 90 miles north of Seattle, Prince Rupert, BC and the Inside Passage. From there our route crosses the Gulf of Alaska out along the 1,000 mile stretch of the Aleutian Chain to the Bering Sea.

Yes, Ruby, our Australian Governments are hoping for a growth in tourism from the US to Australia, as a result of Oprah's visit.

I agree the world is now a much smaller place with the internet, Ruby. This is indeed a most interesting thread, with its wide range of interesting cruise topics.

I also love to do prior research, then wander, whenever I visit a new place. Which is how I found myself in the city hall (?) on a street up the side of a hill, well away from the crowds. What a fascinating place, full of Alaskan history, well worth a visit.

Wouldn't that be the governor's mansion (see thumbnail picture)? It is indeed some distance away from the tourist district.

I also saw bits of the Oprah show. She loved the Vegemite after first hesitantly biting into a cracker with the stuff on it.

Donald.

578272206_20090723Juneau.jpg.eeff53837d9177bd874b588ab0b4d3c2.jpg

Wouldn't that be the governor's mansion (see thumbnail picture)? It is indeed some distance away from the tourist district.

I also saw bits of the Oprah show. She loved the Vegemite after first hesitantly biting into a cracker with the stuff on it.

Donald.

Donald - I have a picture of the Governor's Mansion in my diary, with no comment. However, I also have a picture of the Alaskan State Capital, with self guided tour written beside, so this was the building I meant. However, I obviously saw both.

Another clipping is of the "Fahrenkamp Committee Room. The portrait is of former State Senator Bettye Fahrenkamp. The earrings under the portrait were worn by her during sessions of the Senate, and mean "in one ear and out the other." On the wall to the left is the Seal of the State of Alaska, which is made of gold nuggets."

In the morning, we caught the local bus to Mendenhall Valley and walked 1.1/2 miles level walk to the Glacier.

Stopped at Fred Meyer to do some grocery shopping on the way back - love that supermarket, especially the fresh seafood.

We loved all our Alaskan ports of call, but found Juneau, being the State Capital, the most interesting.

We are all brought up on Vegemite here, so we all love it. The secret is to eat it sparingly with butter on toast or biscuits - yum! On our last TA, MSC got brownie points from all the Aussies for having it on all the tables, at breakfast, with the jam and honey.

Edited by MMDown Under

Marion, I've passed past the Alaskan State Capital several times without venturing inside. I'm afraid to say that tours of such edifices - along with museums and churches - usually put me to sleep. That's just me. How amusing about the "in one ear and out the other ear" about Fahrenkamp.

I noticed that Jackman didn't allow Oprah to sniff the opened Vegemite jar. Does it have a distinctive smell that needs to be habituated to?

Donald.

Marion, I've passed past the Alaskan State Capital several times without venturing inside. I'm afraid to say that tours of such edifices - along with museums and churches - usually put me to sleep. That's just me. How amusing about the "in one ear and out the other ear" about Fahrenkamp.

I noticed that Jackman didn't allow Oprah to sniff the opened Vegemite jar. Does it have a distinctive smell that needs to be habituated to?

Donald.

Donald, I don't like organised tours either, however I love to be able to mosey around on my own. In fact, the fact that I was allowed to do so, in a "working" building, with NO security checks, says a lot about what I like about Alaska.

Yes, Vegemite does have a distinctive smell (but I had to go have a sniff to remember).

The Alaskan Marine Highway is the name of the Alaskan ferry system, so we were able to cruise all the way. We visited Petersburg, Sitka, Haines and Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, by ferry, staying a few nights at each place. We also travelled by an Alaskan Air Pass to visit Anchorage and return to Seattle.

What was the origination port of your ferry itinerary and where did you end up on the Alaskan Marine Highway system? Did you use the ferries as a HOHO (hop on, hop off)? I gather you probably started in Seattle but is that where your ferries started on the AMH? Perhaps you were working your way toward Anchorage on the ferries then using trains or cars inland?

In each small town in Alaska, I usually waited for the tour coaches to leave, then caught a cab to do a bit of touring and, frankly, to talk to a local. In all circumstances that I remember, the road in town would end at metal barriers and that was that.

It sounds as though you and Barry did a thorough job in visiting Alaska. Good on ya!

Ruby

This thread began when Saga Ruby and I started to talk about our upcoming trips on Saga Rose. Now Saga Rose is being dismantled in Shanghai and will reappear as some metallic reincarnation imported from China. The good news circulating on the internet is that Bleu de France orinally Hapag Lloyd's Europa of 1981 may be acquired by Saga in the not too distant future. That is great news! I sailed aboard her during her Hapag Lloyd years in 1984. One of the greatest cruises I have ever made and I hold very fond memories of her. She has since been redone, but in a very pleasing way and I think she will be a wonderful match to the Saga concept of refined upscale cruising.

I got my alumnus newsletter from Saga Cruises today and they have confirmed that Bleu de France at 37,000gt is now a Saga ship. They are pretending to have a naming contest altho' I'm sure the proprietary already has a name selected. They'll just wait until the proper name is presented and make it their own.

Donald showed us a photo of her in the Caribbean and Conte believes she will be a fine match for Saga Holidays. Welcome to the "new" ship which makes a whopping total of three ships in the Saga corral. Saga and Oceania are by far and away my favourite cruise lines - this new ship has quite a tradition to uphold for Saga.

Digression - when I first booked with Saga Cruises, I didn't even know how to pronounce the name - Sahga - nor have few cruisers in the States ever heard of that UK-based cruise line. I enjoy seeing the Saga herd of ships ever expanding. At least their ships don't block out the sunlight or an entire island when they tie up to the pier.

Ruby

What was the origination port of your ferry itinerary and where did you end up on the Alaskan Marine Highway system? Did you use the ferries as a HOHO (hop on, hop off)? I gather you probably started in Seattle but is that where your ferries started on the AMH? Perhaps you were working your way toward Anchorage on the ferries then using trains or cars inland?

In each small town in Alaska, I usually waited for the tour coaches to leave, then caught a cab to do a bit of touring and, frankly, to talk to a local. In all circumstances that I remember, the road in town would end at metal barriers and that was that.

It sounds as though you and Barry did a thorough job in visiting Alaska. Good on ya!

Ruby

Yes, we did do a thorough job for an initial visit to Alaska. However, there were lots more places I'd have liked to have visited.

You're really stretching my memory now, Ruby, but from a partly written diary, here goes.

San Francisco - Anchorage (Alaskan Air Pass) (car hire) (28/8)

Palmer (3 day pass Alaska State Fair)

Denali National Park

Took car hire back to Anchorage and hired a Truck Camper, so we could stay in national parks.

Chucagh National Park, Kenei Peninsula

Anchor River SRA, Anchor Point (most westerly point on US highway system)

Ninilchik

Russian River Campground

Hope Porcupine Campground

Anchorage - Juneau (flight)

Juneau - Haines (ferry)(first leg of Alaskan Marine Highway)

Haines - Skagway (ferry) - Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada (car hire)

Whitehorse - Skagway, via Atlin, BC

Skagway - Juneau (ferry)

Juneau - Petersburg (flight)

Elderhostel programme, based at Petersburg, which included land content and Alaskan Marine Highway from Petersburg to Wrangell Narrows, Prince Rupert, BC and Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines and Skagway and back to Petersburg, via Juneau, with bus tours at each port.

Petersburg - Juneau (ferry)

Juneau to Sitka (ferry)(last leg of Alaskan Marine Highway)

Sitka to Seattle (flight) (3/10)

We did independent travel on the Alaskan Marine Highway, in addition to the Elderhostel programme, as we wanted to spend more time at each port of call.

In North Texas, as we hide in our houses from the solid ice and now 6" of snow, my thoughts turn to Donald enjoying the bright sun and warm temps in Antigua, Barbados. and other lovely locales.

What is your weather like in Vancouver? I think most of the US has had a miserable winter, including Texas. Two weeks ago, we were in the 70s, now we haven't seen above-freezing temps in a week. Cabin fever reigns supreme in our area.

The Super Bowl is Sunday. I doubt North Texas will ever see another Super Bowl as our weather has produced negative effects for our football visitors. Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys, achieved his dream of having the Super Bowl in Dallas - actually Arlington - and now his dreams have turned into a weather nightmare.

My favourite island? Bali, in a walkaway. The geography of the island is varied and interesting plus the gentility of the locals make for an appealing place to settle down. If they could reduce the level of humidity, I would be tempted to move to that lovely place.

For those of you enjoying a cruise in the near future - bon voyage!

Ruby

Ruby, the weather here has pretty much been up-and-down just like Dallas'. Yesterday we enjoyed a high of 13.4C (56F) breaking the previous record for the day of 13.1C in 1993. The normal high for the day is 7.4C (45F). A mere two days ago, we were shivering at -3.4C (26F).

Today CNN News on TV reported sunshine and springtime weather in Dallas. I hope that it stays that way over the next several days, as on Thursday I am changing flights in Dallas-Fort Worth on my way to Fort Lauderdale. I gave myself 2 days' start before the cruise just in case, as weather during February is rather unpredictable.

I can't wait to enjoy warm weather in the Caribbean. A few days ago I bought two swim trunks. At this time of year stores here do not have very much suntan lotion on the shelves, so I will need to stock up in Fort Lauderdale. I can't use the Australian Gold suntan lotion that has a monopoly in ships's shops, as my skin is allergic to it and I broke out in a horrible rash on my legs and arms during a Hawaiian cruise several years ago.

Donald.

In case you are confused - check out my new name and post! I am one of two new UK Cruise Critic Hosts - I promise I won't let it all go to my head though :)

Wow! Our own ships cat is now a Host on CCritic. I guess we'll all have to be spit-shined and Bristol fashion, all right and proper. Hmmm. Not gonna happen.

Congratulations, Host Sharon/ships cat!

Ruby

Congratulations, Host Sharon.

But what is a UK ambassador's role?

To welcome new UK members to the site and encourage more of us to post reviews of UK based ships Marion - but I do have the delete button too ;)

To welcome new UK members to the site and encourage more of us to post reviews of UK based ships Marion - but I do have the delete button too ;)

So mostly you are Glenda, the Good Witch of the North, but can occasionally assume the duties of the Wicked Witch of the West?

Wa-hahaha!

Ruby

Marion - I read a short article about someone driving the Great Ocean Road in OZ. Evidently it starts somewhere around Perth and winds up in Melbourne?

As much as I have visited Oz, I have zero information about that road. I do know about the longest, straightest railroad track in your country. Is the GOR a local road used for commerce or do tourists drive the road to enjoy the country sights?

Here in the States, one famous highway is US 1 which winds down the west coast in CA and is quite lovely. It starts outside of SFO, thru Pebble Beach and Carmel, passes the Castle of William Randolph Hearst, and ends up around Seal Beach.

My personal favourite coast road is what we used to call the Italian Riviera and now is called the Amalfi Coast. The trick to that coast road is never to be the car driver because the traffic is heavy, the road is winding, and the passengers get to gawk while the driver tries to maneuver thru the crowds.

Ruby

My personal favourite coast road is what we used to call the Italian Riviera and now is called the Amalfi Coast. The trick to that coast road is never to be the car driver because the traffic is heavy, the road is winding, and the passengers get to gawk while the driver tries to maneuver thru the crowds.

Ruby

Ruby, the Amalfi Drive near Naples, runs from Sorrento to Amalfi and it is a harrowing ride indeed, especially when buses literally cross paths. But it is also one of the most spectacular in the world. I think that might be the road to which you refer. The Italian Riviera is along the coast of Liguria, ajoining the French Riviera and near Genoa.

In two days I'm off to LA and a two week cruise to Hawaii aboard Queen Victoria. That's quite far from the Italian Riviera and the Amalfi coast!

Oooh - Hawaii sounds lovely - as I stare out at the rain and clouds again today. Still not so bad as Oz - how are things now Marion?

And the good news is - we have another book to write - on Aurora and Oriana :)

And the bad news is - there is no room for me on the final Artemis cruise so no lecturing (or comp. cruise ) :(

Ruby, the Amalfi Drive near Naples, runs from Sorrento to Amalfi and it is a harrowing ride indeed, especially when buses literally cross paths. But it is also one of the most spectacular in the world. I think that might be the road to which you refer. The Italian Riviera is along the coast of Liguria, ajoining the French Riviera and near Genoa. In two days I'm off to LA and a two week cruise to Hawaii aboard Queen Victoria.

I'm feeling a bit bummed - Donald is on a 2-week cruise in the Caribbean and now Conte will be enjoying the beauty and tranquilo of Hawaii. (heavy sigh) Digression - the best peanut brittle I have ever had in my life was in San Remo, Italia, on the beach. Ah, the good olde days.

Have a wonderful cruise on QV to Hawaii. As I told Donald, please submit a 1,500-word essay, single-spaced, upon your return regarding QV and your island hopping favourites.

Thanks for the memory jog - I was 13 when we drove the Italian Coast road and it became my blue-ribbon coastal drive. Highway 1 in California didn't hold a candle to the Amalfi coast.

Oooh - Hawaii sounds lovely - as I stare out at the rain and clouds again today. Still not so bad as Oz - how are things now Marion?

And the good news is - we have another book to write - on Aurora and Oriana :)And the bad news is - there is no room for me on the final Artemis cruise so no lecturing (or comp. cruise ) :(

Highs and lows - it was exciting to read that you will be writing books on Aurora and Oriana then the crummy news about the final Artemis cruise being fully booked. Bummer.

Would it be wrong of me to mention that our weather in North Texas is, for the foreseeable future, day temperatures in the 70s? Altho' Conte has us beat, being in a tropical paradise and all that. Plus the locals speak English and accept US currency. Wa-hahahaha!

Ruby

And the good news is - we have another book to write - on Aurora and Oriana

We did a transatlantic aboard Oriana in 2000 from Southampton to New York when she was truly a P&O ship, i.e. pre-Carnival and had a great time! We were among only a small group of Yanks aboard the ship, certainly less than ten. I will always remember being on queue when I overheard a couple of dowagers complaining about a spot of turbulent sea that we had encountered. "We NEVER had weather like this on Canberra!" they groused, as if the newer ship were totally responsible for their discomfort. Then a delightful couple from Plymouth adopted us. In anticipation of his retirement, the husband wanted me to buy his sporting goods shop in which his only child, a daughter, had no interest. I declined. Sports are not my thing. The most exercise I take is lifting a Martini glass! There are many other wonderful stories from that crossing.

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

We did a transatlantic aboard Oriana in 2000 from Southampton to New York when she was truly a P&O ship, i.e. pre-Carnival and had a great time! We were among only a small group of Yanks aboard the ship, certainly less than ten. I will always remember being on queue when I overheard a couple of dowagers complaining about a spot of turbulent sea that we had encountered. "We NEVER had weather like this on Canberra!" they groused, as if the newer ship were totally responsible for their discomfort.

Do tell please - you can PM me - all stories gratefully received for the book. Funnily enough one chapter is called - It's not like Canberra! Such was her reputation she was much like QE2 - had been going so long and people had such fond memories of her, despite the communal bathrooms and lack of facilities !

Ruby - your snow has all gone then ?? Uh - Hawaii, cruises.....today was the day I was supposed to sail off on Minerva from Bangkok to Chennai until my friend pulled out :( Oh well - I gather the luggage restrictions were draconian so maybe it was a lucky escape - I have never been a light packer !!

Marion - I read a short article about someone driving the Great Ocean Road in OZ. Evidently it starts somewhere around Perth and winds up in Melbourne?

As much as I have visited Oz, I have zero information about that road. I do know about the longest, straightest railroad track in your country. Is the GOR a local road used for commerce or do tourists drive the road to enjoy the country sights?

Here in the States, one famous highway is US 1 which winds down the west coast in CA and is quite lovely. It starts outside of SFO, thru Pebble Beach and Carmel, passes the Castle of William Randolph Hearst, and ends up around Seal Beach.

Ruby

And the good news is - we have another book to write - on Aurora and Oriana :)

And the bad news is - there is no room for me on the final Artemis cruise so no lecturing (or comp. cruise ) :(

Ruby -

"The Great Ocean Walk, on Victoria's spectacular west coast, stretches 104 kms from the idyllic resort town of Apollo Bay, to within sight of the magnificent 12 Apostles. Weave through beautiful National Parks, walk deserted beaches and gaze over pristine marine sanctuaries. Step on and off the trail with convenience; enjoy comfortable accommodation and excellent local meals or pitch your tent at wildly picturesque spots along the way."

The 12 Apostles are the major attraction on the Great Ocean Road -

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/objectid.000B0BDC-CFBC-1A5C-BC6180C476A90000/

GOR is a frequent request for day cruise visitors to Melbourne. However, you can't do justice to this beautiful area on a rushed day trip. It is a local tourist road.

We have driven that beautiful coastal highway 1 route in California, with lots of stops along the way.

Fortunately, we were driven along the narrow windy Amalfi Coast road, which was an unforgetable "taking your life into your hands" experience.

We are fine thanks, Sharon. However, there are still a lot of flood and cyclone disaster areas to be cleaned up, and we're not out of the cyclone season yet.

All the best for your new books.

If you ever write about the Chusan, I sailed home from the UK on my first overseas trip on her. We had to cruise around Africa because the Suez was closed. It was the last P&O ship to call at Bombay for a change of staff, as by then, it became cheaper to fly staff.

February is a busy month for Sydney Harbour with cruisers escaping the northern winter. Next week, I'm going to zipp around the harbour, on Sydney's little ferries, to see Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary2, Balmoral, Amsterdam, Seven Seas Voyager, Amadea, Deutschland and Crystal Serenity all for the first time!