Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Ruby, your thread has now surpassed 4,000 posts. :) Did you ever foresee that milestone when you started it on 2007 January 25?

As for Queen Mary 2: A human hair in an ice machine, "extremely dirty" water in a pool, chemicals stored near napkins and paper cups and even a few errant cockroaches.

Cunard: the "poor assessment on 10 June resulted largely from one small area of the ship's overall operation. All the issues raised in the report were immediately addressed and have now been corrected."

Donald.

Yes, QM2's rating was a disgrace. Whoever was responsible should be ashamed.

The QM2 ratings put her in a negative pantheon of ships for CDC inspections. Many times, ships which cannot pass the inspections stay out of the reach of the CDC by basing themselves out of foreign ports. But a company like Cunard failing their inspection? The spin Cunard puts on this massive failure is unacceptable - pure publicist bologna cut thick. Phooey.

Ruby, your thread has now surpassed 4,000 posts. :) Did you ever foresee that milestone when you started it on 2007 January 25? Donald.

You have me smiling. When I posted that thread title, I knew no one had ever heard of Saga Cruises but was ever-hopeful that one person might notice the query and respond. Two months later, Conte spoke up and the rest is history. Now we are over 4,000 posts and 200 pages. Who knew?

My warmest thanks to our steady contributors - Kapricorn, MMDownUnder, and Host Sharon who probably has her nose to the grindstone, uh, keyboard, trying to get ahead of her 4-month deadline for her next book.

I miss Michael (Druke I) who kept such a fine count of our posts and views. I think he was in a bit of a shock that the solo woman he met on Nautica had such a healthy thread on Cruise Critic. And I miss Franu who seems to have passed into another level of sailing on the High Seas.

And thanks to you, Donald, for stepping up and into our statistician's shoes. On we go.

Ruby

Reading the print off the paper of the weekend's travel supplement, as one does, I came across "Cape Town to Rio" and "Namibia and Botswana Untamed". Thought you would enjoy them for research, Ruby.

I did, indeed, browse thru the info on that link and many thanks for that, Marion. The ship will take me to Namibia and Cape Town. After disembarkation in Cape Town, I will visit the area of Table Mountain then on to Durban. I'll also make arrangements for a brief visit to Botswana, more on the "touch base" level than an in-country experience. I've read about the Kalahari Desert and, frankly, have little interest in being in that area of Botswana. A Texan seeking out heat in a foreign land is a dichotomy which I would not make. It's the local culture and people I would like to explore.

As you become immersed in the e-world of the iPad, please give us your thoughts. Will you be signing up for newspapers or magazines or will you be downloading books only? I have mused about subscribing to magazines or newspapers but, on my travels, many times I am out of reach of downloads. There is a new Kindle that is Amazon's "international" version whereby one can download while traveling, but I'm holding out for the colour version.

I'm so hooked on my Kindle2 and iPhone that one of the first things I pack in my purse are their power cords!

Ruby

I did, indeed, browse thru the info on that link and many thanks for that, Marion. The ship will take me to Namibia and Cape Town. After disembarkation in Cape Town, I will visit the area of Table Mountain then on to Durban. I'll also make arrangements for a brief visit to Botswana, more on the "touch base" level than an in-country experience. I've read about the Kalahari Desert and, frankly, have little interest in being in that area of Botswana. A Texan seeking out heat in a foreign land is a dichotomy which I would not make. It's the local culture and people I would like to explore.

As you become immersed in the e-world of the iPad, please give us your thoughts. Will you be signing up for newspapers or magazines or will you be downloading books only? I have mused about subscribing to magazines or newspapers but, on my travels, many times I am out of reach of downloads. There is a new Kindle that is Amazon's "international" version whereby one can download while traveling, but I'm holding out for the colour version.

I'm so hooked on my Kindle2 and iPhone that one of the first things I pack in my purse are their power cords!

Ruby

Who is the cruise with and when, Ruby? Sounds a fascinating journey.

Thanks for reminding me I need to become immersed in my new iPad, before my travels. So far, I've forgotten to take it with me everywhere. We never did take to our regular mobile phones, but we love the computer/internet, so hope the iPad will be different, especially seeing we will be able to download books/travel guides. Whilst I love newspapers and magazines, I don't mind being out of touch, with local news, when I travel.

Who is the cruise with and when, Ruby? Sounds a fascinating journey. Whilst I love newspapers and magazines, I don't mind being out of touch, with local news, when I travel.

The Rio-to-Cape-Town cruise is on Silversea in Jan 2013. I have instructions from S/S to make it as an "open booking" this September onboard Silver Shadow as those books aren't open yet. I looked at other cruise lines and itineraries but much preferred Silversea as the ship sails out of Rio directly eastbound as opposed to sailing down the coastline of South America.

It took me a long time to get used to my Kindle. I did come home from the Black Sea and put it back on my bookshelf but, as time went by, I became quite attached to it. These technologies are so new to us that it takes a bit of time to develop a bond. The Kindle is so simple to use that I took to it like an albatross to sea water; the iPhone was a frustration for most of a year.

Are you and Barry planning a new adventure?

Ruby

The Rio-to-Cape-Town cruise is on Silversea in Jan 2013. I have instructions from S/S to make it as an "open booking" this September onboard Silver Shadow as those books aren't open yet. I looked at other cruise lines and itineraries but much preferred Silversea as the ship sails out of Rio directly eastbound as opposed to sailing down the coastline of South America.

Ruby

You will also get an extra 5% off by booking aboard ship. We have changed our plans and opted not to cruise to Peru in October as we had planned. We are now booked on Silver Spirit on a transatlantic from Lisbon to Barbados in October. Not as great an adventure, but we do like our sea days and will also spend a couple of days in Lisbon, which we love, before embarking on the voyage. Silver Sea still honored our 5% discount for having booked the Peru trip while aboard Silver Cloud last summer. They applied the discount to the transatlantic.

You will also get an extra 5% off by booking aboard ship. We have changed our plans and opted not to cruise to Peru in October as we had planned. We are now booked on Silver Spirit on a transatlantic from Lisbon to Barbados in October. Not as great an adventure, but we do like our sea days and will also spend a couple of days in Lisbon, which we love, before embarking on the voyage. Silver Sea still honored our 5% discount for having booked the Peru trip while aboard Silver Cloud last summer. They applied the discount to the transatlantic.

I have been following the Silversea forum to get up to speed about their policies and practices. One thread which puzzles me is about electrical plugs in staterooms. The only 110v American plug I need is to recharge my Kindle or iPhone. There has never been a problem on other ships with this scenario but I'm surprised about the to-and-fro comments regarding electrical plugs on Silversea's ships. Were you satisfied with the in-suite electrical outlets?

I have many adapters and foreign plugs in a drawer but do not want to pack them due to weight concerns. Not to mention I assume that a first-class company like S/S would have adaptors available at Reception if needed.

Congrats on many sea days and the joys of Lisbon. Have you selected a hotel yet? What are the differences between Spirit and Cloud?

Digression - I will now step back on the curb to let the Viking China thread thunder past with their banner "We're Number 1!" fluttering in the breeze.

Ruby

Just a quick hello as I do indeed have my nose to the keyboard, or if not, then driving to and from Southampton! It is all great fun but very hard work too - not that I'm complaining !

One thing has struck me in the course of all the ship visits, is 1. how different all the P&O ships are - Adonia is very like Swan Hellenic/Discovery, and 2, how much the crew affect the atmosphere on board the ship.

Just for a change, I have been invited to visit Artania (Artemis/Royal Princess as was) on Saturday as she is calling there mid-cruise with her German pax. It will be interesting to see what they have done to her (or not !!)

Happy cruising everyone - I have lost track of who is going where and when at the moment.

and lastly - working VERY hard as you can see !!

IMG_2612.JPG

Edited by Host Sharon

One thing has struck me in the course of all the ship visits, is 1. how different all the P&O ships are - Adonia is very like Swan Hellenic/Discovery, and 2, how much the crew affect the atmosphere on board the ship.

IMG_2612.JPG

Beautiful photo Sharon.

Sounds like you are living the dream, where work doesn't feel like work!

I imagine ships are no different to organisations where the work culture/dynamics affect the working atmosphere of the organisation, with the leader setting the standards. That is why you often read people on CC comment that "it is a happy ship", even though it might be an older ship, without all the bells and whistles.

Edited by MMDown Under

Ship's staff definitely sets the tone on each cruise ship. I always found Mercury to have the "happy ship" vibe, which was why I cruised on her 15 times. Century is doing just fine, too - it did not hurt that a few of her staff were from Mercury, as well as Galaxy, and they remembered me.

Yes, it does look as if Sharon is greatly enjoying her research aboard the P&O ships. :)

Donald.

Happy cruising everyone - I have lost track of who is going where and when at the moment and lastly - working VERY hard as you can see !!

What a loverly picture of you and the Captain! You look so relaxed and happy - being a cruise writer obviously agrees with you. B-b-b-ut, where is your fascinator?

I imagine ships are no different to organisations where the work culture/dynamics affect the working atmosphere of the organisation, with the leader setting the standards. That is why you often read people on CC comment that "it is a happy ship", even though it might be an older ship, without all the bells and whistles.

Ship's staff definitely sets the tone on each cruise ship. Donald.

I agree with both of you. The bridge sets the tone of a crew as the hotel director sets an example for the hotel staff. I've been on ships with crews that were happy, ships that left a bit to be desired in regard to organization and structure, a ship which had a deputy staff captain who was the holy terror of the crew as their disciplinarian. I was seated for 15 days at his table and the service was superb but the tension of the wait staff was obvious.

When the crew is happy, the passengers are same.

Ruby

Thank you - yes I am enjoying it, but the trouble is I can hardly remember who and what is where on each ship. Add to that a couple of other ship visits this week .......Sat - Artania (Artemis as was), Thursday-Prinsendam, Friday- Oriana, Sunday- Aurora ......Helppppppp.

Still, I am looking forward to seeing my first HAL ship. She is calling at Bristol as part of a Round Britain cruise so a group have been invited for a looksee and lunch. Aside from her, all the others are at Southampton, which is fast becoming a second home.

I just realized that I'm celebrating a Golden Anniversary today, exactly 50 years to the day that I sailed on my first ocean voyage aboard Italian Line's magnificent Leonardo Da Vinci. You always remember your first. Like a fine wine, the memory improves with age, at least in my mind. I can still remember pulling up to the pier in New York and seeing her bow towering over 12th Avenue on the West Side of Manhattan....heavy sigh. Thanks to mom and dad for giving me and my brother such a wonderful experience, the gift of travel which changed my life forever.

Thank you - yes I am enjoying it, but the trouble is I can hardly remember who and what is where on each ship. Add to that a couple of other ship visits this week .......Sat - Artania (Artemis as was), Thursday-Prinsendam, Friday- Oriana, Sunday- Aurora ......Helppppppp.

Still, I am looking forward to seeing my first HAL ship. She is calling at Bristol as part of a Round Britain cruise so a group have been invited for a looksee and lunch. Aside from her, all the others are at Southampton, which is fast becoming a second home.

With so many ship visits, it would be difficult to remember all their individual details, Sharon. It is not like wine tasting, where you can spit out the wine to refresh your palate.

How do you remember? Are you a wizz at the ipad or iphone like Ruby?

I just realized that I'm celebrating a Golden Anniversary today, exactly 50 years to the day that I sailed on my first ocean voyage aboard Italian Line's magnificent Leonardo Da Vinci. You always remember your first. Like a fine wine, the memory improves with age, at least in my mind. I can still remember pulling up to the pier in New York and seeing her bow towering over 12th Avenue on the West Side of Manhattan....heavy sigh. Thanks to mom and dad for giving me and my brother such a wonderful experience, the gift of travel which changed my life forever.

Congratulations on your golden anniversary of cruising. What a wealth of knowledge on ships you must have. Do you have a favourite ship, or is that too difficult?

I agree you do remember your first, which is why Manhattan is still my favourite port, from my first cruise.

I wonder if your parents had any idea of just what they were giving you and your brother, with your first cruise.

We have passed on the priceless gift of travel to our children.

Hearty congratulations on your maritime Golden Anniversary. What a milestone! I took traveling for granted as a child because that is what our family did but now I appreciate the introduction of that 10-week Grand Tour of Europe that was the snowball that started the wondrous avalanche of exploration into my life. By the end of my Africa crossing, I will have visited 100 countries which amazes me and has certainly given me a mature insight into our global village.

You and your brother were covered with stars to have been given the gift of travel at an early age.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Congratulations, Conte, on the Golden Anniversary of your first ocean voyage! Mine will be on December 27, 2013, fifty years after boarding American Export Line's Atlantic in Manhattan with my mother on a cruise to Nassau.

My mother and I also traveled to Manhattan in February or March 1961 to see Uncle Frank off to Italy on Leonardo da Vinci. We inspected the Second Class section of the liner, which for some reason Uncle Frank chose instead of First Class. Hey, Conte, maybe I was aboard that ship before you did? :D

Ruby, you passed your Golden Anniversary a few years ago - was it in 1957 or 1958 that you sailed on Empress of England, or was that Empress of Britain?

Donald.

Congratulations Conte - that is some milestone! Thirty four years for me this year !

MM Down Under - my secret, if you call it that, are cameras ! Even better, digital cameras as they also record the date with the image!

Some pictures here of Artania. She is certainly looking fabulous, and with a few more millions to spend yet - not least on four new engines. Just wish P&O could have done what Phoenix Reisen have done !!

https://picasaweb.google.com/sharonp...eShipsArtania#

Some pictures here of Artania. She is certainly looking fabulous, and with a few more millions to spend yet - not least on four new engines.

Sharon, these pictures were very interesting to look at. Artania appears to be a splendidly-designed cruise liner.

Two questions:

1) how did the "teak decking" carpet handle the rain? Did these outdoor carpets absorb the water and become squishy when walked on, or what?

2) there are two women shown smoking in the Copacabana Bar. Is that room entirely smoking, or divided into non-smoking and smoking areas?

Donald.

This morning's newspaper had this front-page headline:

NO SUMMER IN SIGHT

NO SUN, NO FUN

The forecast for the rest of the month

calls for more wet, wet weather

On page 3: "Pour show is dampening spirits. Weather forecaster predict sun will not return to Metro Vancouver for rest of July."

The culprit is "a series of low-pressure ridges off the coast that bring clouds and rain, blocking out the sun's warming rays."

Wahhhhhhhhh!!!! :( The heat wave in Texas and midwest USA is looking really, really good to me ...

Donald.

Sharon, these pictures were very interesting to look at. Artania appears to be a splendidly-designed cruise liner.

Two questions:

1) how did the "teak decking" carpet handle the rain? Did these outdoor carpets absorb the water and become squishy when walked on, or what?

2) there are two women shown smoking in the Copacabana Bar. Is that room entirely smoking, or divided into non-smoking and smoking areas?

Donald.

Know what you mean about heat-waves looking appealing !! As you can see from yesterday's photos it was a tad wet !!:mad:

The carpeting is just like astroturf. I have no idea why it is so popular on ships since it squelches horribly, just as it does on Queen Elizabeth and all the modern ships. They have just replaced the old green astrotuf with immitation teak. Where there is proper teak decking it has been replaced or relaid.

The bars are smoking one side and non-smoking the other. It was quite a shock I can tell you since every ship I have been on in recent years only allows it on cabin balconies and a small area of open deck !

Edited by Host Sharon

Digression - I will now step back on the curb to let the Viking China thread thunder past with their banner "We're Number 1!" fluttering in the breeze.

Ruby, you had me smiling. I can imagine us choking and gasping in the dust left behind by the Viking China stampede.

I read their recent posts, most of which are queries by people going to China this month, next month, October and even next year asking questions of the experienced travelers of the original posts. Apparently that thread is much more informative and more active than the China section of CC Ports.

We are only 936 posts behind that thread ... any chance of us catching up and triumphantly wresting the "We're Number 1" banner from them? :D

Donald.

The carpeting is just like astroturf. I have no idea why it is so popular on ships since it squelches horribly, just as it does on Queen Elizabeth and all the modern ships. They have just replaced the old green astrotuf with immitation teak. Where there is proper teak decking it has been replaced or relaid.

The bars are smoking one side and non-smoking the other. It was quite a shock I can tell you since every ship I have been on in recent years only allows it on cabin balconies and a small area of open deck !

Sharon, many thanks for answering my questions. :)

Donald.

The heat wave in Texas and midwest USA is looking really, really good to me ...Donald.

Trust me - when the bathroom shower has no cool water, only warm, when the fields are cracked, yellow, and dry - this area's severe drought is not something you want to participate in. Spending $$$$ for sprinkler systems and air-conditioning that can only just keep up makes us dreary in this area. I accomplish all my errands and appointments in the early morning and make it a point to be permanently indoors by noon. When the outside temp is 97* at 10:00pm, it's depressing. As is constant rain in your areas.

It would, indeed, be a smack in the nose in the "one side" rule. As though smoke doesn't drift everywhere.

We are only 936 posts behind that thread ... any chance of us catching up and triumphantly wresting the "We're Number 1" banner from them? Donald.

I'm puzzled at the Viking China thread. Being naturally quizzical, I've read a few of the posts on that thread. I know that "caribill" is dedicated to keeping VC on the top of this forum. Our lurkers keep our Views high but with so few of us bringing in fresh posts, VC will always be Number One. Having said that, a tip of the hat to our active members who bring such refreshing information into this thread. It would be nice if our lurkers would speak up once a year.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby