Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

No, we have not done the Nile River, and really have no great desire to try that one.

I think perhaps our next river cruise will be on the Columbia, on a paddlewheeler.

That said, I do prefer ocean cruising.

Okay, I have to vent, I'm laughing so hard. As you can imagine, more and more folks are visiting Iceland and Greenland so more questions are being asked on these boards about those countries. My apologies to Marion for pulling her quote off this thread from awhile back but it was too good to pass up.

I recently saw a post saying that they were leaving "Thursday" for Greenland on their way back to the States. Their ship would be in Qaqortoq and "what restaurants and shopping is there in the city?" Which makes this post my second favourite post of all time which was, "Weather in April 23-29, 2009?"

But seriously now, folks. You may be interested to learn that Delta will be announcing a nonstop from Atlanta to Cairo. I might actually be interested in that one. I wanna try a Nile River cruise and a felucca. I would much rather spend the time incountry than do the 6-hour dash from port to Luxor and pretend I have seen Egypt.

Michael, have you and Virginia done the Nile cruise? I know Rickey 88 and his wife enjoyed their cruise so much and his photos look like they've been issued by the Egyptian tourism board.

Ruby

Oh dear - they are in for a shock in Quagortoq if it is anything like Nuuk! I have not done the Nile per se, but had a wonderful tour of Cairo from Port Said. I was not sure I would like Egypt but totally fell in love with the country and the people - very smiley and friendly. I took a tour (not a country for a lone woman to explore on their own) which included a longish walk around the medieval streets just as they were setting up shops for the day, and the highlight - lunch on a felucca on the Nile, just at midday as the muezzin were calling from the mosques. Magical. We ended up at the pyramids at sunset.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseOnOrianaToEasternMediterranean2005

Ships cat, did you take those photos yourself? That "dawn in Port Said" is amazing. I didn't see that particular angle when I was there! The photos are excellent quality - congrats.

About Greenland - Nuuk is a pop. of about 14,000, Qaqortoq is pop. of about 3,000. Dare I mention those statistics to the woman inquiring about shopping and restaurants in Qaqortoq?

Ruby

Ships cat, did you take those photos yourself? That "dawn in Port Said" is amazing. I didn't see that particular angle when I was there! The photos are excellent quality - congrats.

About Greenland - Nuuk is a pop. of about 14,000, Qaqortoq is pop. of about 3,000. Dare I mention those statistics to the woman inquiring about shopping and restaurants in Qaqortoq?

Ruby

Yes I did, and thanks Ruby. I never go anywhere without a couple of cameras! Re Qaqortoq, I think it may be kinder to mention them, otherwise she'll have a very nasty shock. Unfortunately the harbour was still iced up (in August) so we never got to land there.

ships cat,

Thank you for sharing the incredibly beautiful photos. It brought back many beautiful memories and also reminded me of places that I have yet to visit.

Fran

Donald, or whomever, I read a post about how HAL's silent disembarkation didn't work at all, that everyone on Westerdam tried to leave at the same time and got tangled up with a Princess ship's disembarkation. He indicated that it was mayhem.

The complaint was about the Me First attitude and that pax had stacked their luggage so high and so deep that it was difficult to get into the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast.

What are your thoughts about this scenario?

Ruby

SagaRuby

No matter what type of disembarkation procedure is in place, there are always those who think their own self-importance takes precedence.

When we disembarked Nautica in Singapore Dec 06, I saw several people "jump" the line and proceed ashore, one group almost knocking us over in the process! They paid absolutely no attention to the colors or announcements.

The "me first" attitude is all too prevalent today.

On the Ryndam, I opted for Express Disembarkation in Vancouver, as I wished to be in the first group of passengers ashore and thus be able to quickly obtain a taxi, instead of waiting until a later time and then be stuck in a long lineup to the taxi stands.

There was no announcement of where the disembarkation would be taking place, so at 7am I did a little bit of sleuthing. I met an officer standing in one of the lobbies and asked him if that area is where the disembarkation would be. He said no, and indicated that the disembarkation would occur on the Lower Promenade Deck, one deck up.

I returned to my suite and collected my two suitcases, the small one on top of the larger wheeled suitcase, and joined the lineup on Lower Promenade Deck. We waited, and waited. Confusion broke out. People said that disembarkation was actually one deck down. Pandemonium broke out and most of the passengers went to the elevators, trundling their suitcases behind them. I manhandled my luggage down the stairs and joined the throng which already was exiting the ship. The "Y" group of people were already at the exit. I had the "X" group which had priority, so I had no compunction cutting into the lineup.

There was a hold-up when a group of Japanese passengers pushed through against the others to return to their cabins to retrieve their pass cards, and there also were three men who wanted to enter the ship, with the officer being distracted attempting to verify their names on a list. We waited at the bottleneck, not moving. It got stuffy in the lobby.

The disembarkation procedure was not too well organized, but at least I was at home at 8am.

I shudder to think of the disembarkation of 4,000 passengers on the apartment barges. Enuff said.

Donald.

The other side of the entitlement coin can be amusing. Disembarkation was in progress when I found myself having to buck the line excusing myself and moving forward. I was about 3/4 of the way when someone called out "who do you think you are? Wait like everyone else".

My reply was "I didn't realize that everyone was going to my cabin." The line was blocking my entrance to my cabin. I was in no rush to leave my ship.

Some persons with a great sense of entitlement seem to think that everyone wants the same things.

Fran

The line was blocking my entrance to my cabin.

Fran, I've noticed that the disembarkation lineups can be disruptive to the regular flow of passengers and staff who merely wish to walk through the corridors on their respective businesses. Cruise ship designers will have to start designing foyers which can easily accommodate all those lining up to the gangways and out of the way of the others.

Donald.

Donald, I do not know whether the ship was designed with that flaw or did the people that should have remained in an orderly double line but just surged to fill the space are the issue.

I believe that the cruise line must mark off the lines so that the regular traffic can continue. The lines can be contained with the waist-high poles and ropes. I see this in all areas of life.

If the cruise lines stopped giving out those prizes for being first off the ships, it would lessen the mad rush.

Fran

Either I've been lucky, or us Brits are better at queueing (line ups) but I've never had trouble at disembarkation. You get your coloured card and time slot and only go to the foyer when you are called. Crew check the colours so no one can jump the line. Luggage is waiting in the customs hall to be claimed and then out to the car. Even on Ventura - the largest ship I've ever been on with 3500 passengers, there was no problem - tendering yes - disembarkation, no.

My reply was "I didn't realize that everyone was going to my cabin." The line was blocking my entrance to my cabin. I was in no rush to leave my ship. Fran

Oh, gosh, I wish I were quick enough to deflate the sharp remark like you did! A week later, I think of all these perfect replies but . . . .

I like sitting in a deckchair on a sunny promenade deck in San Juan and enjoying the spectacle of passengers pushing to get off the ship to get into the long queue at the taxi stand. Stuffy shipboard lounges - no thanks. Pushy passengers - don't get me started.

A warm Bon Voyage to Ships Cat who leaves on QE2 tomorrow. I hope your cruise is a fine one. When you get back, I have a photography assignment for your Bosporous cruise which I think you will enjoy. So have a grand time, watch out for those sharp elbows upon disembarkation, and we will look forward to hearing your report on the QE2.

Ruby

A warm Bon Voyage to Ships Cat who leaves on QE2 tomorrow. I hope your cruise is a fine one. When you get back, I have a photography assignment for your Bosporous cruise which I think you will enjoy. So have a grand time, watch out for those sharp elbows upon disembarkation, and we will look forward to hearing your report on the QE2.

Ruby

Thank you Ruby. I am about to complete the packing etc. The assignment sounds mysterious. I look forward to hearing all about it when I get back. The long range weather forecast isn't long range enough to see what Naples will be like on Sunday - just hope it is dry - but the Bay of Biscay is like a millpond today so here's hoping!

Ships Cat, enjoy the cruise on QE2. I am looking forward to reading a report after your return.

Donald.

I too wish you a truly spectacular cruise and look forward to reading about it upon your return. I also look forward to seeing your photographic essays.

Fran

I have been doing research about Brenda and Gerry Moran, the couple which has been banned for life by Royal Caribbean from any cruise on any of their ships or subsidiaries thereof. If anyone wants to read more about the story, the rock that started the avalanche can be found at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24711659/from/ET/ which is an MSNBC story quoting the original source.

I've run MACOP on CC and her postings screeched to a halt on May 19th when the story appeared about their skulduggery in complaining their way into credits. My guess is that Brenda Moran has changed her screen name and is posting away even as we speak. She was a prolific poster in other websites like Vegas hotels, etc. No complaint was too low to get freebies or a certificate for a free night or OBC on their cruises.

It's been an intriguing story to follow.

Ruby

Brenda Moran got the publicity that she was so eagerly seeking. Now what? All of the cruise lines have their "barred list". Do we know anyone else on any of the lists? Probably not. Most individuals on the lists would probably be embarrassed for others to know their situation. Not Brenda.

It is my guess that she contacted the columnist, Anita Dunham-Potter, herself to get the story out. At the end of the column is the following statement:

Sound off! Do you have a comment, an idea, a complaint or a problem for Anita to solve? document.write("");Send her an e-maildocument.write(''); and you might find yourself in her next column. And check out her blog, ExpertCruiser.com.

She is now sailing on NCL but I feel certain that she will have to be straight up with them as the jig is up. Personally I think that she has had all of the attention that she will get from me.

Fran

Brenda photo is on the blog listed above. Now that comletes everything.

Brenda photo is on the blog listed above. Now that comletes everything.

She certainly looks like a complainer. Just the sort to bring along a night light to look for whatever on bedsheets!

Does anyone here remember the brouhaha one or two years ago when a firefighter from USA Midwest posted that he was banned from Royal Caribbean for reasons which the cruise line refused to divulge? He was told that he would have to get a subpoena to get the information.

His thread gathered about 120,000 posts and attracted media attention, to the point that he finally got a telephone call from Dan Hanrahan. The result was that this guy is not to say anything, not even about the reason why RCI had, either justifiably or mistakenly, banned him. I took a look at his signature on recent posts, and he has been on 19 RCI cruises and is now booked on four more.

I am sure that in some instances, cruise lines can err. However, most certainly not in the case of a chronic complainer like Brenda.

Donald.

Hello??? Ruby?? Michael? Fran?

All is well here in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It's gonna be warmer and sunny tomorrow (Friday). Only one cruise ship is chugging out of here tomorrow ... Radiance of the Seas. Me on board? Nah...

Donald.

Donald,

With only one ship leaving I guess it would be a good time to visit Alaska. I would like to see it but not as one of a few thousand people at each port. I understand that it is an incredibly beautiful place but I don't do well in crowds.

A number of years ago my DS lived in the Vancouver area and we talked about going to Alaska on the coastal ferries. That is when mobility was not an issue. My heart still wants to go via ferry.

Alaska is quite different than Antarctica. There is a lot of greenery and animals to the north while on the other continent there are no animals or greenery, just stark beauty and marine life including lots of penguins. Alaska is on my to do list.

Fran

We've done Alaska several times, and yes, it is beautiful.

We are not crowd lovers either, and have found if we go in mid-May, or after Labor Day, we do avoid the crowds (and all the ankle biters).

We've not done the Alaska ferry system, but have heard great things about it.

Donald,

With only one ship leaving I guess it would be a good time to visit Alaska. I would like to see it but not as one of a few thousand people at each port. I understand that it is an incredibly beautiful place but I don't do well in crowds.

While one ship may have departed on Friday, another one or two may have departed from Seattle. Saturdays are the busiest in Vancouver, with usually three or four cruise ships off to Alaska.

I didn't care for Skagway (pop. 800), being overrun with 10,000 tourists from five cruise ships.

Alaska is indeed an incredibly beautiful place to visit. I never tire of the spectacular scenery, which is different each time, depending on the month and especially the weather. Here's one of my favourite photographs, taken September 2005 from Summit, with the light from the morning sun struggling against the fog.

Donald.

2005_09_01.jpg.4649b6e68f3d4cc63a3d074842745b60.jpg