available Cabins after final payment

Hflors

This is my first cruise on Celebrity. I'm booked on the Galaxy in March. I just went to their website and noticed a lot of available cabins (last week many cat. were sold out). Final payment was about two weeks ago. Is it possible now to be upgraded or get a discount on an upgrade? Does anyone know how it works on Celebrity?

Rick, thanks for actually answering the question. I'm just in a smart #@s mood this morning!

X is just so unpassenger friendly when it comes to upgrades. As an example, they would, most times, (or so it seems) rather sail with 10 oceanviews empty than upgrade anyone from inside. This carries through on every catagory of cabin. I know there are some exceptions, but generally speaking I find X to be the least upgrade friendly of the mass market cruise lines.

Again, my apologies to the OP.

Tuggers, the funny thing I have asked of some of the higher ups on X is why don't they hire someone to do nothing but sell upgrades.

A few years back we had booked an inside on the Galaxy for New Years. They had oversold the inside and were calling Captain's Club members to upsell them. They offered for $100 to move us from our cat 9 cabin to move us to a cat 5. We jumped.

If they did this two weeks out with cruises that were not selling the higher level cabins out, they would not only pay for the salary, but make a tidy profit for themselves. On top of this, they would build customer loyalty. You call the elite level members first, then select, then the newbies.

They aren't even giving free upgrades, but making a little extra per cabin. This would also open low level cabins they could sell to locals at a highly reduced rate. This would enable them to fill the ship and get the perks of having more guests.

We booked a Cat 7.

Cat 7 is now sold out.

Both Cat 5 & 6 have availability at rates LOWER than we paid for Cat 7.

Our final payment was paid 2 weeks ago. Our cruise is in 6 weeks.

Could we move to a better cabin and reap the financial reward? It's $50 pp, which isn't alot, but enough for an excursion or spa treatment.

After the final payment date, you're usually out of luck. If you could find an unrestricted price for less for your category of cabin, Celebrity might give you a credit. The unfortunate thing is, though, that most of the great prices are restricted by "new bookings only" or "Happy Hour specials" that don't apply to passengers who have already paid in full.

The other tricky thing that Celebrity does is have specials for cabins in categories W (suite), X (balcony), Y (outside), and Z (inside). For example, Celebrity may run a special for category Y that's $200 less pp than you paid. Even though you may be in the lowest category of outside cabin, you can't take advantage of the lower price because it's technically not the same category of cabin you booked.

On a side note, what if some cabins become available and we just want to change rooms? (same category, same level)

There's no problem changing cabins if the category remains the same (i.e., CC to CC, 2A to 2A, RS to RS, etc.). I've changed cabins twice without charge even though the fare had increased since I booked the cabin originally.

Wow I hadn't reallized how chincy Celebrity was. I'm already in a higher level oceanview and thought with so many balconies left I might be able to switch for a small amount. (right now the price is about twice what I paid), but if Celebrity would sooner sail with empty cabins on the higher level so be it. I'll stick with my ov and be happy. More money to spend on my next cruise.

Archived