Does HAL's reference to jeans on casual night include designer and/or colored jeans?

carolcreek

At the risk of starting World War III with this question, I am wondering if, on casual nights, HAL's admonition about jeans not being allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas applies to the more traditional Wrangler and Levi-type blue denim jeans or if, in fact, it covers all types of jeans, including designer and/or colored jeans. This question is posed in anticipation of an August 2004 HAL cruise through the Baltics. Thanks.

As MUCH time as I spend on this board, you would think I would know the politically correct answer to this...but I don't. I am guessing, no, it covers all jeans...jeans are jeans, regardless of the color??? Is this what the fashion police would say??:)

Marie

My husband or I have ever taken jeans on a cruise. We do wear jeans at home. About 7 or 8 years ago we went on a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise along with 2 other couples. It was a RCCL Majesty of the Seas ship. One of those nights was Country and Western night in the dining room and on the whole ship. We felt so out of place being dressed in resort casual clothes.

Another night was 50's night. We were not dressed for that occasion either.

We have never used the travel agent who booked the cruise for us again.

She could have done her homework and told us that several of the nights had themes. Other people were dressed for the occasions.

Hubby & I live in our jeans - it's our everyday wear. On our Alaskan cruise, we took along jeans for the shore excursions, but that was the only time we wore them the entire cruise. Never saw anyone else wearing them in the evenings - designer or not, and Alaska is a "casual" cruise.

I feel I have to relate our experience on a Veendam Alaska cruise last September. For one reason or another, we grew to know both the Maitre D and the head waiter. That may have been in part with where we were seated - right at the top of the stairs.

Well, we pulled out all the stoppers for the formal nights (cruise was in celebration of a milestone birthday and anniversary). From reading these boards, we had the impression that HAL had cut out the semi-formal evening entirely. So, we only made note of the two formal nights.

One night, after a somewhat long day, I decided not to get too dressed up. I put on a pair of black, designer jeans (no top stitching) and a very nice black and white pull over sweater. My thought was "if they say something, I'll go back to the room and change." Well, we get there - it's the semi-formal evening. OMG - a few friends we had made on the trip - ribbed me a little. I even voiced my concern to the Maitre D and the head waiter - BOTH of them said "don't worry about it - you look just fine, it's no big deal."

However, not to be shown off by our new friends, my husband did go back to the room and put on a jacket.

I wonder what exactly would be considered designer jeans? I just read an article about teenage girls buying $175 pairs of jeans because they make their butt look good. (I didn't think teenage girls needed that much help!) Those jeans cost more than any pair of pants I own, but they are still jeans. Even if I could afford them, I wouldn't wear them to dinner.

On our Ryndam cruise, there were folks in jeans in the Main dining room and the Pinnacle, even on formal nights. Nothing was said to them, and they did not appear to feel out of place. I will say that it did NOT spoil my meal nor were these folks asked to leave by any HAL staff that I witnessed. HAL is choosing not to enforce this policy on that Alaskan cruise, I can't speak for the other Ships.

Rather than get into a discussion of what's "designer", which colors are "ok", etc. just use common sense - what would you wear to a dinner at the Country Club? What would you wear to dinner at a 5-star resort? If it'll pass in those places, then you can wear it and sit at my table..... :cool:

I would advise against wearing jeans in the dining room. Regardless of designer or color, they get so heavy and waterlogged after you are made to walk the plank by the fashion police. :rolleyes:

LOL!! Someone posted recently jeans is not mentioned as something not to wear on casual nights so as someone who hasn't sailed HAL yet, I'm not convinced on what the actual code of conduct for dress is. It seems pretty subjective from what I've read on this board. It cracks me up when the cruise board fashion police put their 2 cents in - and that's both sides of the argument.

On our Ryndam cruise, there were folks in jeans in the Main dining room and the Pinnacle, even on formal nights. Nothing was said to them, and they did not appear to feel out of place. I will say that it did NOT spoil my meal nor were these folks asked to leave by any HAL staff that I witnessed. HAL is choosing not to enforce this policy on that Alaskan cruise, I can't speak for the other Ships.

It was the same for us on the Oosterdam in May, of course it was a bit colder but as Vegas Jim mentioned I do not believe that anyone read the "Know Before You Go Booklet" On any given night with exception for Formal Night there were about 30% to 40% wearing jeans and probably 10% on formal night. My DH who loves to wear his Tux was shocked at the lack of guys wearing Tuxs on formal nights. He was one of the less than 10 percenters.:eek:

I have to admit it was the first time I had even wore jeans myself in many years, mostly due to the fact I had lost quite a bit of weight and actually fit in them, but of couse I never wore them in the Dining Room.

I would take this to mean blue denim. No one cares how much blue jeans are or whether or not they are designer. My duaighter has $140 jeans that look positively ratty. They would not be appropriate for dinner ever.

Black cotton twill, or white slacks are most likely fine. I have worn white twill slacks from the gap to dinner on casual nights. With the right top, jewelry, etc. they are more than presentable. Same with some black capris I have which are also a cotton (2% spandex) blend.

I have to admit it was the first time I had even wore jeans myself in many years, mostly due to the fact I had lost quite a bit of weight and actually fit in them, but of couse I never wore them in the Dining Room.

Lori L- Congrats to you on your weight loss!!! :D I do love my jeans but know better than to wear them in the dining room. We did eat in the Lido a couple of nights and did wear jeans up there, but it was casual night, and I believe that is okay!

I would take this to mean blue denim. No one cares how much blue jeans are or whether or not they are designer. My duaighter has $140 jeans that look positively ratty. They would not be appropriate for dinner ever.

Black cotton twill, or white slacks are most likely fine. I have worn white twill slacks from the gap to dinner on casual nights. .

Yes !!! Forget the fashion police here. there are Blue Jeans and then there is colored denim.

Yellow / White / black denim certainly is permittable and very presentable. Blue jeans - even those from designers is generally frowned upon.

Carolcreek,

As your original question mentioned that you will be cruising through the Baltics, you might want to be careful of your dress when in port. To avoid being targeted as an American tourist, please know that the first sign of this is wearing sneakers and the second sign is wearing everyday jeans.

Archived