Gaucho Fiesta, is it worth it?

azkitty

Just wondering if the Gaucho Fiesta in Argentina is an enjoyable "must-do"? Is it worth going to and what are the highlights aside from the BBQ? We have only a few days in B.A. prior to our cruise. We have a tango dinner show booked and thought maybe we should spend our few (2) days seeing the city, but if the Gaucho Fiesta is really great, maybe we should book a tour. If anyone on this board has been, please let me know your opinion.

I have never been to one though I think that they are overpriced. Early in November, San Antonio de Areco (100kms from Buenos Aires City) is host to an annual gaucho festivity to celebrate "Dia de la Tradicion" Nov 11. They have a parade on the Sunday morning, followed by a sort of rodeo, where they work with cattle and horses and also compete in races on horseback. I have seen the parade, but got rained out of the remainder.

Just wondering if the Gaucho Fiesta in Argentina is an enjoyable "must-do"? Is it worth going to and what are the highlights aside from the BBQ? We have only a few days in B.A. prior to our cruise. We have a tango dinner show booked and thought maybe we should spend our few (2) days seeing the city, but if the Gaucho Fiesta is really great, maybe we should book a tour. If anyone on this board has been, please let me know your opinion.

We recently returned from a cruise that ended in BA, with one night on the ship and one night in a hotel in the Recoleta district. We hired Turismo Nuevo Mundo to take us to an Argentine Estancia/Gaucho tour. Beyond the BBQ/ free-flowing wine etc, there was a dance/song show, horseback races, etc. Was it an absolute must-do? No, but it was very enjoyable. We had been to BA 2 years ago, and had done some city sightseeing then. This time we saw some sights we had missed, and enjoyed another great BA steak restaurant (Cabanas Las Lilas). BA is a fabulous city & we'd go back a third time. So, if going to the Gaucho show means not enjoying BA enough, I'd forego it.

Mike S

azkitty ......... Here's how we handled our Estancia/Gaucho portion:

We disembarked from the ship (with Mr. & Mrs. Shifty ;) ) in BA and took the "all day" tour which was well worth the money as it included a two hour city tour (with stops at La Boca & Recoleta) then an hour's drive out to La Mimosa for BBQ lunch & dance show & leisure time.

From there, we were driven to EZE ( BA Airport ) in time to check-in, shop, wait around & board our plane home.

Would I have gone to it if it had not been included........ no way, as it takes up way too much of your valuable time in that beautiful city, as well as being (IMO) quite expensive.

Hope this helps with your planning!!

BettyNL

Hi Shifty,

I note you used Turismo Nuevo Mundo. I found them online and was wondering about using them next month when we cruise for some of our port excursions (Transfer/tour Santiago-Valparaiso and in Puerto Montt).

Input would be appreciated.

Hi Shifty,

I note you used Turismo Nuevo Mundo. I found them online and was wondering about using them next month when we cruise for some of our port excursions (Transfer/tour Santiago-Valparaiso and in Puerto Montt).

Input would be appreciated.

We are using Tourismo Mundo for Valpariso - Santiago, a whole day, private tour with lunch included and airport drop-off. We also used them to book a tango dinner show in B.A with a driver to and from. For Port Montt, we are using GVTours (very reasonable) for a full day tour with lunch. We booked a full day Gaucho Fiesta in B.A. with 1stClassArgetina.com for $48 pp, which includes food aand transportation of course, etc.

If you have and use Skype on your compuer, you can call Tourismo Mundo easily and free.

Hi LUV2TRVL,

We are also on the 2/24 Golden Princess and was thinking of using the same tour company for Santiago to Valparaiso and for Puerto Montt and the other stops. I have quotes from other companies also and we will making a decision this week. We are staying at the Hyatt in Santiago for 2 nights and the Intercontinental in Buenos Aires for 2 nights.

CZC

Hi LUV2TRVL,

We are also on the 2/24 Golden Princess and was thinking of using the same tour company for Santiago to Valparaiso and for Puerto Montt and the other stops. I have quotes from other companies also and we will making a decision this week. We are staying at the Hyatt in Santiago for 2 nights and the Intercontinental in Buenos Aires for 2 nights.

CZC

HI CZC,

We are spending 2 nights in Santiago and 2 in either Vina del Mar or Valparaiso (they are next to each other - the former more beachy).

We are about to book the Canopy tour with Turismo Nuevo Mundo, but had a family emergency and had to postpone it till Monday. We have decided to tour Santiago on our own, and then take a local bus down to the coast and then do our own thing at the coast. The only other place I have booked is Port Stanley, and that is private tour. We are going to wing it at the other 3 ports (Punta Arenas, Ushuaia and Montevideo).

FYI, Even though our tickets state the Terminal as being Pacifico Sur, Valparaiso have constructed a Cruise Terminal, and I think that we are all being channelled through there, and then bussed to the ship.

If you wish to email me, you can use my log-in name at yahoo dot com.

Hope we meet on board.

Belita and Robert

WE took in a Gaucho show & BBQ when we were in Buenos Aries and thought it was well worth while and the price was definitely reasonable. the one we went to was only about an hours drive from the city. I booked everything with Ricardo and he was great.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I have taken the ship tour to the gaucho farm twice! Excellent food plenty of wine and beer and an opportunity to meet fellow cruisers prior to sailing. We have sailed on many cruises and the gaucho entertainment and hospitality ranks high on ship tours!

Archived