What do you do on shore?

guardami

What do you do with your belongings (i.e. valuables like cash and cameras, etc) when you're on shore, say on a beach, and you want to go for a swim or something? I'm a little paranoid about leaving things and having them stolen but equally I don't want to have to leave stuff behind on the ship and miss out on that really nice photo or not having money to buy food or drink!

Hi,:) I sail solo all the time. I don't usually do beach excursions

but the couple of times I did I had met people from the ship

and we ended up going together:) and one of us

was usually sitting with all of our stuff...so the others could

go in the water.

Depending on where you are going...example, in Cozumel

you will find people at the front area looking for a cab.

We went to Paradise Beach together...it was great:)

If I am planning a beach day, I use a water wallet, as one of the previous posters already mentioned. I take along one of those disposible (one time use) water cameras for photos in and out of the water, and leave my digital camera on board.

Thanks for the advice. I had thought of a waterproof disposable camera but I do tend to take way too many photos that I may end up with a suitcase of disposable cameras to take home :p Although a suitcase of disposables is probably better than a stolen or waterlogged digital one!

Now, forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a water wallet, I've not heard of that before. Is it just a waterproof wallet or something a little fancier than that???

Thanks for the advice. I had thought of a waterproof disposable camera but I do tend to take way too many photos that I may end up with a suitcase of disposable cameras to take home :p Although a suitcase of disposables is probably better than a stolen or waterlogged digital one!

Now, forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a water wallet, I've not heard of that before. Is it just a waterproof wallet or something a little fancier than that???

No problem Mate, that's what this board is for, to pass on advice and tips.

I also use the disposable camera when I'm on beach day. I also try to buddy up with someone from the ship. I mainly take books, extra t-shirt,etc. Things with little value.

The waterproof wallet is a hardshell small pouch you can wear around your next. I purchased one on a ship several years ago and it's still going strong.

It's large enough to place your ship id and cash in it.

Where are you sailing?

Happy trip!!

I usually travel alone and have been known to bury my valuables in the sand.

A little discretion, 30 seconds worth of digging, a ziplock, and someway to remember exactly where your stuff is, and you're good to go (obviously be smart about where you put it, and keep an eye out still)!

No problem Mate, that's what this board is for, to pass on advice and tips.

I also use the disposable camera when I'm on beach day. I also try to buddy up with someone from the ship. I mainly take books, extra t-shirt,etc. Things with little value.

The waterproof wallet is a hardshell small pouch you can wear around your next. I purchased one on a ship several years ago and it's still going strong.

It's large enough to place your ship id and cash in it.

Where are you sailing?

Happy trip!!

Ah - I have one of those, I think I won it when I was still at school, or maybe it was a present before my first ever trip overseas, I can't quite remember. At least I have a while to try and remember where I put it!

I am doing a West and an East Caribbean cruise b2b! :)

And Lucky, that's a pretty nifty idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it is an excursion to the beach they will often watch your things for you or offer a secure area to keep them.

It I am going to carry them like others have said the water wallet is a good idea. Usually they are for sale on the ship.

If you want to take a lot of pictures you can get a digital water proof camera. With the one I have I can get about 350 pictures.

I bought the Aquapac for my digital camera and some silica gel packs for my cruise in April 2007. I had to go with the large bag because of my camera but I would much rather use it than a disposible camera. For the price and quality of the pictures it made more sense to me.

Here is a link to it although I purchased from B&H Photo since I wanted a small tripod too.

http://http://www.waterproofcases.net/waterproof-camera-cases.html

waterproofcases_1939_285106

Greetings fellow solo cruisers, world travelers and all-around wonderful people!

I just thought I would mention that another name for "water wallet" is "beach safe" and wouldn't ya know it, you can order your very own from Cruise Critic! On the menu bar at the top of your screen is the "CC Logowear" link. I bought one of the CC beach safes, and I hafta admit, I did actually find it handy on my last cruise. It is just big enough to hold one's ship pass, credit card, cash, and in my case, a photocopy of my main passport page. I took it on all my off-ship adventures!

By the way, I don't get any commission from Cruise Critic for passing along this information. (dag nab it!)

Happy days!

Paul

• 2 months later...

When i am at the beach, I ask the people beside me to watch my stuff

when i go into the water, also I am constantly watching my stuff from« the water . Never bring lots of money with you. And try not open your wallet or purse on the beach.

Archived