Back from Serenade of the Seas - July 18-25

Boofage

I'll probably keep this short and add to it if anyone has questions.

Arrival: We live in Sacramento but wanted a direct flight to Vancouver so we drove down to SFO and flew up Sunday morning. Our plane got in around 10:30 and we waited for about forty-five minutes for the bus to show up to take us to the pier. I think I would shell out the $30 bucks for the taxi next time.

Embarkation: There were lines for customs, check-in, get on the ship, etc. but it's exactly what I would expect. 2,000 people is going to take a while to get on board. Just accept it and you'll be okay. From the time we got to the pier (12:15) to walking on the ship (12:50) it wasn't so bad.

The Ship: The ship, the ship, what can I say about the ship other than WOW! Awesome. There are several discussions talking about details of the ship so I will not go into them here. You have a question, I'll answer it.

The Food: The food in the main dining room was just fair. I didn't seem to have issue with the temperature like many on this board, but there just was not much to write home about. We ate at Portofinos on Tuesday night and boy was that GREAT food. It was one of those meals where you sit back in your chair and smile with every bite. We ate at Chops two nights as well and the food there was just as good. Frankly, if I could do it again, I would fork over the $20pp fee and alternate between the two the entire week. As is usually the case, the buffet starts out great at the beginning of the cruise but by the end you're dreading walking in there and seeing the same old food for breakfast and lunch. I think I would feel that way about any buffet no matter how good the food was.

Entertainment: This is where this ship really shines. The entertainment was nothing short of fabulous. Do not miss the Love and Marriage game show. If you want to be in it, you have to arrive at 10:15 or so and audition. Also, don't miss The Quest, another game show. It's for adults only and you will spend your entire time laughing. Tim Seivert, the Cruise Director, was fabulous and very funny. He and his staff kept us entertained the entire time.

Hubbard Glacier: I'm not a good enough writer to put the experience of this place into words.

Skagway: Must go to the Red Onion Saloon and have a beer. The food was pretty good too. The shops are good and we loaded up on stuff, but most did have the same stuff in them from shop to shop. We did the Bald Eagle Preserve Jet Boat excursion and had a great time. You take a ferry over to Haines, then take a bus to the encampment where you roast hot dogs before getting on the jet boat to see moose, bears and bald eagles. Great time.

Juneau: Best port of call. We feel the ship should have stayed there two days. Again, don't miss the Red Dog Saloon. Great food, great beer (Alaska really knows their beer!) and a funny piano player. The wife went on the Pilot's choice helicopter tour and was glad she did that instead of the dog sledding one. Apparently, her pilots said that the people get shuttled to the glacier and sit around waiting for the dog sled ride (which lasts only 15 minutes!). On her tour the pilots go to more remote places, etc. She got out twice on the glaciers. I did the Fly Out Flyfishing. I can't describe how fun it was. After a quick trip to the airfield, we took a short trip on a seaplane to remote section of lake and fished for a few hours. I was pulling the salmon out as fast as I was putting the fly in the water (catch and release keep in mind). I saw more bald eagles on the fishing trip than at the preserve and our guides did carry a shotgun in case a bear wanted to get a little close but we never saw any. Bummer.

Ketchikan: Again, lots of touristy shops but has a nice feel to it. We did the sea plane trip to the Misty Fjords and loved it! Those seaplanes are the way to go!

Weather: We had great weather. CLEAR skies in Ketchikan and about 80 degrees. All through the trip we overdressed in too many layers thinking it was going to be cold. All we did was end up lugging our jackets around with us. Especially if you're going to be doing a lot of walking, don't over do it on the layers.

Disembarkation: Simply put, a nightmare, but again, I expected it to be. Our flight out was at 1:07. We left the ship at around 8:20 and after going through the bus ride to the pier and through customs, we arrived at our gate at around 11:30. Again, I would splurge for the Taxi to the airport.

All in all we had a fabulous time and would sail on the Serenade of the Seas again. I do have to point out that this was our second cruise and we are not the avid cruisers that many on this board are. I think we will go a fair number of years before going on another one mostly because of the regimental nature of cruises and the restriction on your personal freedom to go and stay where and when you want. That being said, however, I think everyone should go on this cruise at least once in your life. You will fall in love with Southeast Alaska as we did.

If you have any questions, please post them and I will try and answer them. BTW, we brought aboard a bottle of vodka, and a small bottle of Baileys, and hardly touched either one. Next time, I wouldn't bother.

Thanks so much for the great review!

I'm particularly interested in the Eagle Preserve Jet Boat excursion in Skagway. I'm traveling with my kids (11 and 16) and was wondering if you thought it would keep their interest (I noticed it lasts for 6+ hours). They are totallly NOT interested in going on the train and I'm trying to find something fun to do. I appreciate any insights you can give me.

Boofag,

Thanks for the review. My family and I are thinking of taking the Alaska cruise next summer. We just returned from Mariner of the Seas to Western Caribbean. What type of cabin did you have and where was it--port or starboard. Any suggestions as to which side is better? Do you have a pictures of Serenade or know where any are posted? I am dying to see some of the ship.

Boofage,

Welcome back from Citrus Heights! We will be on Celebrity on 9/3 southbound. How was the wildlife on the eagle viewing trip from Haines? Lots of what? How close do you get to them for picture purposes? What kind of boat, raft were you on for the preserve? Calm water. Considering same trip if time permits and animals are plentiful.

I would recommend this trip for your children. From what I've heard of the train trip, it's pretty boring. On this trip, you meet at a dock close to the ship and take what's called a Fast Ferry over to Haines. On the way, you may see whales, eagles, orca's, etc. The trip takes about 30 minutes and is beautiful in and of itself. Once in Haines, you will take a 25 mile bus trip out to the preserve. You will get wonderful commentary along the way about the area, eagles, bears, etc. Once at the preserve, you will cook your own hot dogs over an open fire. After you are done eating, it's time to get aboard the jet boats. The boats hold about 12-16 people with plenty of room to spare. We were in Alaska during an unusually dry, hot spell, so we did not see a lot of the wildlife that is normally seen on the trip. I'll tell you what, we didn't care! The area, the river, the boat, everything is wonderful. We saw a moose and her calf (normally, you should see about 10 or 12 moose). We didn't see any bears, but again, during their normal weather, you would almost guarantee seeing bears. We saw a few bald eagle nests and two bald eagles. The boats get you as close to the animals as the animals will let you. You're on the jet boat for about an hour and forty-five minutes, but it doesn't seem that long at all. Then you just repeat the trip home. We saw more eagles getting on the Fast Ferry and also a couple of whales on the ferry ride back as well. I recommend this excursion!!

For clairfication in HAINES- it is NOT likely to see a lot of wildlife. Eagles can be it and the later in the season the better. An operator I email occasionally has consistantly stated only about 25% of the boat trips see land animals. The rafts have a slightly better percentage due to the limit of noise.

Disembarkation: Simply put, a nightmare, but again, I expected it to be. Our flight out was at 1:07. We left the ship at around 8:20 and after going through the bus ride to the pier and through customs, we arrived at our gate at around 11:30. Again, I would splurge for the Taxi to the airport.

I am sailing on the Serenade on September 19. My TA has already arranged for transfers from the pier back to the airport. Should I have her cancel these and take a taxi? What made the bus ride unappealing? Are there plenty of taxis there waiting? Were you in one of the first groups to get off the ship? And the $30, is that USD or CAD? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Budget Queen, thanks for the info. That's news to me. The operaters we were with seemed a little frantic due to our lack of land animal sightage. Guess it's just going to be the luck of the draw. But, like I said, it didn't dampen the trip a bit.

As far as transfers from the pier to the airport, I would say our number was called toward the middle or latter half of the passengers. Still, we got off the boat at 8:20. We missed the deadline for the automatic transfers. I highly suggest you make sure and submit that while on the boat. They will take your luggage, provide you with boarding passes, and you don't have to deal your bags until you get back to your destination airport. At the pier we loaded on a bus, but it wasn't full, so they sent us to the back of the pier to wait for other passengers to completely fill it up. Then, on our bus ride from the pier, you have to stop in a waiting area just outside the airport so the terminal doesn't get crowded with lots of buses from the ships. I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of thing, so next time I would just grab a taxi, which seemed to be in plentiful supply at the pier. And the $30-40 was in USD, not Canadian. It's a ways from the pier to the airport.

Hope this helps. Like I've read other places, people who had their luggage taken care of right off the ship seemed to have a better go of it.

Boofage (or anyone)

We will be on the Serenade for the Sept 5th sailing. Our anniversary is on the 7th and was thinking we might spring for Portofino or Chops for that night. Can you remember what the dress was for "Tuesday" on your sailing? I take it men have to wear coat and tie in the specialty restaurants regardless of dress code for that evening?

Which restaurant did you like better? And is the fee of $20 per person including tip or do you need to add a tip to that?

Also, a while back, someone posted there was a Murder Mystery dinner at one of the restaurants but now cannot remember which one. Do you recall if that was offered on your sailing and the price?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Don't know anything about a murder mystery dinner. Portofino's would be my vote for your anniversary, although you really can't go wrong with either restaurant. We ate at Chops twice and Portifino's once. Portifino's was our first non-dining room meal and I wore a sport coat and tie. Most of the men though were dressed in just shirts and slacks. That's what I wore the other two nights in Chops. Tuesday I believe was Smart Casual.

Hi Boofage

My husband and I will be cruising on the Serenade on August 29. My husband is not big on dressing up. Will do it if he has to. Problem is, he does not own a suit. He has a blazer and dress pants. How was the dress for formal night? Should we invest in a suit or would he be okay in the blazer and dress pants?

Can't wait to get out there!!!

Thanks!

We also just returned from the Serenade July 18 - 25. I was a little surprised at the dress on this cruise. For formal nights, I saw everything from a few tuxedos to some in jogging suits in the dinning room. For Chops and Portifino, we peekeed in ahead of time to see what dress was appropriate before we showed up for our reservation. Men were in slacks and shirts. Women were in smart casual attire. I saw no suits or ties when we were there. All this said, I think you could get buy without a suit for hubby. Mine wore a dark suit on formal night, but if it is an extra expense, don't feel you have to.

Boofage,

Thanks so much to you and Budget Queen for the extra info on the Skagway jet boat excursion. I'm taking your advice, skipping the train, and taking the kids on the jet boat instead. I'm sure they'll like the river trip better than the train, even if we don't see a single moose. We're on Radiance out of Vancouver on August 14th and can hardly wait!

Archived