Which airline has better seats

sswitenki

If given a choice, are one airlines seats more desirable than another when looking to book airfare for the Australia/New Zealand cruise from the US?

Air New Zealand vs Quantas or others? Better food or service? It is such a long flight, we wonder if we should let HAL book the flights but pay to request a specific airline.

Sue

You can go to SEATGURU.com It will show by airline and type of plane the followiing info. It will show you the pitch (distance from front of seat to front of next seat as well as the width of the seat for that specific aircraft and which seats should be avoided or tried to get.

Hopes this helps.

I acutally did see a few years ago on the intranet at work a statement from the insurers of OJH that it was nowhere near being written off. Whether they were asked to make that statement who knows? Just saying what I saw.
Interesting. It's always been taken as gospel that the economic case for repairing OJH was marginal at best. There were a few significant dings to the panel work! :D

The facts are ... based on the 1986 - 2006 figures for miles flown, accident rate and fatality rate of those accidents ... of the top 87 Airlines ... with 1 being the best ranking... QANTAS ranks at number 20 and Air New Zealand ranks at number 28. (supplied by Back Associates).

You can interpret the figures however you like, but they are the facts.

It is also pointed out that to do a full SUBJECTIVE assessment of an Airline's safety disposition, you need to take into account factors such as:

Airline size

Kind of flight (scheduled or unscheduled

Airline history

Airline management

Airline reputation

Airline home country

Airline safety record

Aircraft safety record

Aircraft capability

Regulatory environment

Airline cockpit, cabin, and maintenance selection and training

Route of flight

Weather

Airports used

Size of aircraft

Aircraft history

Questions like:

Would I allow my minor child to fly unaccompanied?

Would I allow my minor child to fly with an adult?

Would I allow an adult family member to fly?

Would I allow myself to fly?

Would I allow myself to fly only under special circumstances?

Would I allow someone I know on the flight?

Would I allow someone I did not know on the flight?

Not everyone has the time or inclination to do this, so they tend to use the objective facts, mixed with a bit of gut feeling.

It is also pointed out that to do a full SUBJECTIVE assessment of an Airline's safety disposition, you need to take into account factors such as:

Not everyone has the time or inclination to do this, so they tend to use the objective facts, mixed with a bit of gut feeling.

No, I think you have your words the wrong way around.

To do a full objective assessment, you'd need to take into account lots of factors.

People who don't have access to all the information, or who don't have the time or inclination, are making subjective judgments based on incomplete information. It is even more subjective when it's mixed with gut feeling.

It's also wrong. Lots of people have irrational prejudices about lots of things, airlines included, but it doesn't stop them being wrong when they make judgments when not wholly informed.

And the statement to which I took objection was the suggestion that Qantas should be preferred because "while QF had had some scares in the past 5 years, they still have had no loss of life.... ANZ can't say that". That is what was factually incorrect. QF has had fatal accidents.

I've been a QF platinum FF for 5 years and your skybeds and service are second to none. I fly frequently all over the world and no airline comes close to Qantas (except maybe BA and CX). I guess being an Aussie could be part of it - there's nothing like a long busy business trip ending with a flight home on the flying kangaroo. :)

Ransome,

I wholeheartedly agree. When I board a Qantas plane after being away from home over 6 or 7 weeks, I feel as though I am home already. It is lovely to hear the Aussie accents and to be looked after by such wonderful flight attendants. I do think though that you need to add Singapore airlines to your list of other good airlines giving great service.

Jennie

I've been a QF platinum FF for 5 years and your skybeds and service are second to none. I fly frequently all over the world and no airline comes close to Qantas (except maybe BA and CX). I guess being an Aussie could be part of it - there's nothing like a long busy business trip ending with a flight home on the flying kangaroo. :)

Thanks for your nice comments. It is appreciated by all staff when we hear of peoples satisfaction. :)

Cheers

Maurice

I've flown both United and Air New Zealand over the Pacific in Cattle class. Air NZ wins hands down.:) The seats were comfy, the legroom was fantastic, and the IFE (In Flight Entertainment) a godsend. Only downside is the stopover in AKL (Auckland), but it was worth it.

United was fine, but for a 14 hour flight, it got quite boring after a while. Like got2go2mo2, I was 'lucky' enough to seat in that small cabin in Row 33. We had 4 seats between the two of us, and it still felt cramped!!

We were in Row 52 both ways between AKL and LAX on Air NZ. It was great to have no-one behind to annoy, and the seat reclined further than the normal seats!!:D

Air NZ had two flights daily LAX-SYD via AKL. United has up to 2 non-stop flights a day from LAX. Qantas has 3 non-stop flights a day LAX-SYD.

You seem to get most deals to/from LAX.

Another option is Hawaiian, but they only have 3 flights a week between SYD-HNL.

We have flown with a lot of airlines over the years - BA, United, American Airlines, Virgin etc. etc. but in January we flew Singapore Airlines for the first time to and from our Australia, NZ cruise and it is, in our view, the best!! The service is second to none and even when the plane was fully booked, there seemed to be plenty of room and no endless queues for the toilet facilities. Good legroom in economy as well. We thoroughly recommend them (and they serve nice ice-creams as well!!):D

It is lovely to hear the Aussie accents and to be looked after by such wonderful flight attendants.
I hear that they're giving particularly good service to seat 2K these days. ;) :D

Actually, time to look at QF fares again for my next downunder jaunt.

I hear that they're giving particularly good service to seat 2K these days. ;) :D

Actually, time to look at QF fares again for my next downunder jaunt.

I take it by "downunder" you do mean australia:D :D

Yup! Too much blood has drained into my feet being this way up ... :)

In all seriousness, I've just spent a couple of weeks in South Africa and it made me very "homesick" for Sydney - lots of similarities in the climate, vegetation, etc, even if it was stinking hot in the middle of a heatwave so bad that even the locals were complaining about it. Mind you, that reminds me of Sydney, too.

For many years, I wouldn't fly on a BA flight on 747s. They had received permission from the FAA to block the doors over the wings so they could put in an extra row of seats. Frankly, I just didn't want to get stuck that far from a door in the case of an emergency. Also, most people don't realize that you should always wear your shoes at takeoff and landing (for those who like to take off their shoes during flights).

I agree with checking out SeatGuru.com they are great. But frankly, there are advantages and disadvantages to aircraft from both Boeing and Airbus. There was a time where airlines in the US were still flying 727s when no self-respecting European airline would fly them anymore. And it's almost incredible if you don't bump your head on an Embraer Jet... and I'm only 5'9". If I remember correctly a 777 in 9 seat configuration has a bit more width than most aircraft. And I hated flying in a 757.

For many years, I wouldn't fly on a BA flight on 747s. They had received permission from the FAA to block the doors over the wings so they could put in an extra row of seats.
You know they weren't the only airline that did that? The aircraft could have been certificated without the overwing exits - that's why it was permissible. The amount of redundancy on a 747 is amazing - you don't see that on more modern quads.

Mind you, those aircraft have long left the fleet.

Just to let you know what a wonderful, comfortable flight we had last week to Bangkok. We were on QF1 and seated in row 2. We got given amazing attention, great food and the beds are so comfortable - both of us slept like a log. The Qantas flight attendants are simply the best in my view.

Jane;)

Bravo! Very well put.

I always think about the Qantas Bangkok incident. Repairing that plane to avoid a 'hull loss' was almost criminal. When boarding a Qantas 747 now, we always wonder (Is this the one?). The overshoot only happened because of Qantas' change to braking protocols (a cost saving measure).

As far as Air NZ is concerned, Mt Erebus was a long time ago and is irrelevant today.

When Qantas was a government owned airline safety has always an absolute priority, with all maintenance done inhouse and procedures well above the normal practice. Now it's just a regular airline.

BTW, we're flying to the USA next week on Air NZ in premium economy.

I'll post on this thread about the experience.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve, You promised a report on the Premium Economy seats. I've been waiting patiently.

Ralph

Just to let you know what a wonderful, comfortable flight we had last week to Bangkok. We were on QF1 and seated in row 2. We got given amazing attention, great food and the beds are so comfortable - both of us slept like a log. The Qantas flight attendants are simply the best in my view.

Jane;)

Good on you Jane. Qantas certainly know how to spoil their 1st Class passengers.:)

We went First Class last year in January on our trip to South America and it was fantastic. We then went Business Class to Vancouver in September and that was excellent. We are now flying Economy this weekend so have gradually weaned ourselves off the front seats down to the back. Mind you this flight is only 3 and a bit hours - New Zealand - but at least we are having a break. We are off to Norfolk Island. ;)

Jennie

Jane;)

Hi Jane

Glad to hear you enjoyed your flight :)

Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

Archived