crusin demographics?

FunChris

Hi all,

After a quick search of the forums, I couldn't find an answer to this one...

Anyone know of any statistics (demographics) by cruiseline or ship such as passenger ages, maritial status, income, gender, etc. anywhere on Cruise Critic or the Internet?

If not, that would make a great Cruise Critic project. Nearly every cruiser would be interested in having this info when considering which line/ship to book on.

It would help answer the "How do I find cruises with passengers my age?" for example.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one?

FunChris

Great Question! I couldn't find anything when I googled it. I remember reading about some of the trends, but would love to see the figures for the same reason. Anybody find anything. I know they have to be out there......somewhere.

Juanita

Is there a better place to ask this question?

Thanks,

FunChris

Hi all,

After a quick search of the forums, I couldn't find an answer to this one...

Anyone know of any statistics (demographics) by cruiseline or ship such as passenger ages, maritial status, income, gender, etc. anywhere on Cruise Critic or the Internet?

If not, that would make a great Cruise Critic project. Nearly every cruiser would be interested in having this info when considering which line/ship to book on.

It would help answer the "How do I find cruises with passengers my age?" for example.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one?

FunChris

I found a little bit of info for you. I clicked Features in the top bar of this page, then Ask the Editor, and scrolled down to Whale Watching, Passenger Demographics, Nautical Word Play or http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=332.

You might want to e-mail Editor Carolyn Spencer Brown editor@cruisecritic.com or Associate Editor Melissa Baldwin melissa@cruisecritic.com. Please feel free to ask for more detailed information regarding demographics or to suggest a more detailed article for the future. I feel one or the other will be glad to hear from you.

Wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif and I sincerely hope this information will be satisfactory!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I don't think there's really any way to find those things out, at least with hard numbers. All types of people cruise on every line. Yes, some lines tend to advertise towards a certain group, be it families or more mature cruisers, but I think you'll find a mix of everything on every cruise line. I also don't think cruise lines would release a lot of their demographic information because they wouldn't want to discourage any type of passenger from booking with their line---would a retiree book a ship if they found out that it's 90% families with young kids---that's just an example and not a true demo. I think some demographics would be obvious, i.e. the luxury lines attracting those with a higher income and more married couples, but after that, it's a toss up. Actually, I know quite a few fixed income people who only cruise the luxury lines and some very high incomes who stick with Carnival. Then there's also the notion of demographics changing with the season---less kids during certain times of the year----and changes relating to itineraries---more couples and retirees take longer cruises and tend to cruise more of the exotic itineraries than younger cruisers with kids. There are so many variations when it comes to statistical data and cruise lines, so I really don't think there are true hard and fast numbers when it comes to particular demographics.

Interesting stuff. On my first cruise I nearly left the ship when the captain announced that there were 400 children on board - but I don't know what they did with them but you hardly saw them! I had a fabulous cruise.

I would love to know which are the best cruise lines for singles pricing though - I usually feel I get a raw deal even though I spend a bundle when on board!

(Not sure if I should have made this a separate thread I'm new to these).

Pat

... I would love to know which are the best cruise lines for singles pricing though - I usually feel I get a raw deal even though I spend a bundle when on board!

(Not sure if I should have made this a separate thread I'm new to these).

Pat

Glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Yes, posts in a thread should stay on topic. Any additional questions regarding another topic should be on a separate thread.

Hope this helps!

Kat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are a lot of statistics offered by the cruise lines, BUT they are constantly changing. Plus when there are exceptions to the "rule" the exceptions are usually in large numbers and also it depends on the time of year ie., school holidays, college holidays, summer, etc.

If you would like to know what cruise lines give you the best rates for a person sailing alone please contact me: **************.***

Per our Community Guidelines:

Answer Postings on the Boards, Not in E-mail

Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of

E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're

all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of

course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have

information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come

back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through

E-mail.

Travel Agents

Travel agents (and their associates, employees or designated representative)

are encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and

establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to

members' inquiries with useful answers.

In doing so, you are welcome to sign your name and note your professional

business. You may not use your business name as your Cruise Critic user

name. You may not list your phone number, business location (city or state),

web site address, contact info or e-mail address. You may not include your

location and/or website address in your Cruise Critic profile. Responding to

member's inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.

Only items of a general nature may be discussed on the forums by any

travel agent.

Cruise Critic considers requests to be E-mailed for additional information as

soliciting and will return those postings to any travel agent trying to sell or

promote themselves on Cruise Critic. Additionally, attempts to circumvent

our rules may result in your company name being censored from our forums.

Kat

• 2 years later...
There are a lot of statistics offered by the cruise lines, BUT they are constantly changing. Plus when there are exceptions to the "rule" the exceptions are usually in large numbers and also it depends on the time of year ie., school holidays, college holidays, summer, etc.

If you would like to know what cruise lines give you the best rates for a person sailing alone please contact me: **************.***

Any posts after 2007? It is now 2010!

Archived