? Tortola to Virgin Gorda

retiredldo

Hi folks has anyone taken the ferry from Tortola over to the baths, instead of the ship tours. We have done it numerous times from st thomas to st johns but have not done this before let me add that we are in port from 2 pm to 10 pm what a screwy port time

Pete

Hi folks has anyone taken the ferry from Tortola over to the baths, instead of the ship tours. We have done it numerous times from st thomas to st johns but have not done this before let me add that we are in port from 2 pm to 10 pm what a screwy port time

Pete

I have done the ferry from Tortla to VG numerous times. With the screwy port times, I think you will be hard pressed to make it back to Tortola in time by the ferry. I have heard you can get a private water taxi to VG from Cane Garden Bay in Tortola and wonder if this might be a more reliable option for you.

I absolutey LOVE Virgin Gorda but we won't be going this cruise since we are doing the dolphin thing on Tortola at 4 pm.

Do you have experience in using power boats? There are boat rental companies that will let you rent a powerboat for a 1/2 day or day. The islands are so close to each other that it is a short ride (provided the seas are not too rough, usually they aren't). As the previous poster said, there are also water taxis. You can find many of them just by searching Tortola water taxis.

Those are strange port times! I would recommend renting a boat or water taxi out of Cane Garden Bay, then hang out at Quito's place in the evening. Most of Tortola gets pretty quiet once the sun sets.

Hi

We've done the ferry ride from Tortola to Virgin Gorda and we did a dolphin excursion in the morning and then went to Gorda in the afternoon. I don't think you will have time. We ended up getting over there having 45 minutes to look at the beach (and it takes a while to get down there) before having to race back to get the last ferry. If I remember rightly they stop running pretty early.

This one maybe worth booking through the cruiseline?

Hope that helps

Pooky

I know Tortola well and have one suggestion for a wonderful way to spend late afternoon and evening---book a sunset cruise! I did an internet search and found a few cruises--one which is 2 hours and one is 4. They both said you can make reservations at the cruise ship port upon arrival and leave around 4-5 pm. I minagine there are several such operations so I did not make note of the name of the companies. Sunset in the BVI's is truly a spectacular experience.

If we weren't doing a 4 pm dolphin excursion, I'd be on a sunset cruise!! Otherwise, it will be sunset dinner at Sebastions or the Old Mill Inn ($$$$).

Archived