This situation is just unbelievable-PLEASE give me your opinon!!

cruiser407

Thanks for your input-I wish you were my agent instead ;) Would you recommend that I just stay with this cruise? It is April 15th on the Conquest. Can I even cancel it-I have already paid in full.

Sorry for the sour taste in your mouth over this vacation. We will be on the same cruise. Unfortunately you are within the 70 day payment deadline and a refund would be partial. Did you ask your part time travel agent to give up part or all of her commission to make up for her lack of professional knowledge? We have cruised a lot and never has the price been quoted when it didn't include everything but taxes. On the cruise that you are about to go on, our taxes and fees column is 73.20. We have a cat 9a balcony booked and the total including all was just over 1900 dollars. Your taxes may have been a few dollars more with four persons, but not much. These numbers should help you compare apples to apples since we are on the same cruise. My receipt does not even break down the port charges, they are included in the price quoted by Carnival. We booked direct through CCL.

Hope this Helps

Kevin

First, cruises are not all-inclusive. If she ever used that term, she is being deceptive. A good TA will tell you if you ask what is included, they will read the brochure to you. If you ask, they may tell you what is not included.

To me that is the thing that she really messed up. The rest of how the cost breaks out doesn't really matter, if you get the total price quoted. Did you ask for a total? I also object to her saying she could get you a really really good deal (she can only get you what other TAs can); but most in sales will hype it.

In the future, it's pretty simple. Before giving anyone your credit card ask:

What is the total amount that will be charged and who is doing the charging?

You want to be sure tha actual cruise line (not a travel agent or agency) is doing the charge and you want to know the entire amounts and dates of charges. i.e. alot of cruises have a deposit then a final payment. You need to know the exact amounts.

If you do air through the cruise, I would get the total amount that is considered air. You can manage it seperately from the cruise. You can cancel it if you find a lowered fare before final payment.

That's it you don't need to know fees, taxes, comissions, nada. You should get that on a receipt. But for your budget you just need to know what is going on your card and when.

Enjoy this one, even though it was not presented properly. You did get a good price.

The truth of the matter is that almost everyone get's beat on their first cruise, then they go on a wonderful vacation, start talking to other passengers, learn about cool websites and start working it so that they can support the habit!

To the OP, I hope you have a wonderful time. Put this all behind you, continue to research, research, research and you too will be hooked!

I think that for the most part you are correct. Nobody gets "taken" on their first cruise. But unless you read the boards and make yourself aware of "price drops" after you book your cruise, you can lose out on considerable savings. Had I not read this board, I wouldn't have been aware of price drops along the way. I had to call my PVP about them. She didn't call me. Because of reading this board, I saved $300 (family of 4) on my Liberty Cruise (4/22/07) and moved from balcony Empress to balcony Lido.

The original post in this thread is about a 4/15 cruise. That's school vacation week in many states in the Northeast and that price seems pretty good. Out of curiosity, I checked the pricing on Travelocity for the 4/15 Conquest 8B balcony for a family of four and it's $3,200 including tax. I don't see any gripe here that the original complaint in this post is by someone who was "taken".

edit - oops, I see it's an oceanview guarantee is $2,567 on travelocity. I don't think the topic user was "taken". If this person booked it in the $2,300's he/she's doing better than the going rate.

Sorry you feel mislead but I think you have a good deal, hope the finances work out.

Once on the cruise, the bad taste should be gone, you should have a great time.

I think there is a saying about doing business with friends...

We have a TA as a neighbor and once she tried to put a group trip together for all the neighbors, her price per person was $1,000 more than the advertised price so the trip never went anywhere.

We are on a 5 day April cruise with 2 inside cabins for 5, our price is close to you price and I think we got a good deal.

Finally, DBRUCERN, can you let me know who your TA is because you are getting one great price for your cruises, I would love to get anything for less than $2,300.

It is on the Conquest in April. She had me book an Oceanview Guarantee-WHAT does that mean?? She said that is the best way-but heck all of it sounded like the best! :confused:

It means you are guaranteed at least an ocean view (cabin w/ window) somewhere on the ship. You won't find out your cabin number until you to the pier. It usually is the cheapest way to cruise in a cabin catagory.

Most of us really do pay too much for their first cruise. I know I did. We still love it and keep going.

Spend some time on the boards and get better prepared for the cruise. This part will just be a sad memory in the long run.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on this. We are booked on the Conquest for August '07, one of the cheaper weeks to cruise. We use a travel agent, one that we trust and have used for previous group tours. We've been booked since Sept. '06 and have been watching the price climb steadily. Our TA just notified us of a deal Carnival has going on now & we decided to take advantage of it, so we cancelled and re-booked in order to get the upgrade. That being said, our price was $540 pp/x2 and $290 for the 3rd person. The tax/fees per person was $201.88 - the exact same amount as yours.

So, long story short, I think you got a good deal. I say that because from what I've seen, Carnival rarely offers any "deals" on the Conquest. Unfortunately, you weren't aware of the extra charges associated with a cruise. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, then cancel and use what you've learned to book another cruise in the future. However, you weren't taken advantage of, or a victim of a bait and switch. Just a little lack of knowledge on your travel agent and your part. I say go for it and enjoy!!:)

The truth is now that my trip is costing us $1000 more than I had originally budgeted for I would have definitely looked into other options that were in that price range!!!!!!!! So I am definitely frustrated that I did not do more research UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP -- you have me confused. you stated in your original post that the total booking price, exclusive of transfers which you later state were paid for separately, was $600 more. but, now you say $1,000 more:confused:

the guidelines for deposit/cancellation on a 7 day cruise (different deadlines apply to sailings for less/more days) are as follows:

Booking for a cruise more than 75 days away -- deposit of $250pp is required at booking. Balance of cruise in full is due 75 days from sailing. So, if she booked your cruise 75 days or less from sailing, full paymt wld be required.

Cancellation -- if b/4 full pymt is due, full refund. 75 -30 days, you forfeit the deposit for each pax; 29-8 days, you forfeit 50% of the booking; 7 days or less, you forfeit the entire fare.

it doesn't seem to make sense to cancel this cruise now, given where you are, unless you cannot reasonably afford to take it. you are not cruising at the cheapest time of the year, but you now know that if you really love this cruise, there are better deals to be had on future cruises if booked in off season times.

since you have never cruised before, i hope that you will go. it is truly a wonderful vacation (though admittedly, there are some who don't like it). i think (and hope) that you and your family will have a wonderful time. there is so much (or so little) to do on each and every cruise, depending upon your mood of the day.

research these boards using the search function to find out everything you can about the ship and about cruising in general. if you have any questions for which you cannot find answers, do not hesitate to post a thread. there are many experienced cruisers who peruse these boards, and their experiences and knowledge can prove invaluable.

One more thing, very important -- find out if this TA had you pre-pay your tips. this is not common, but some people do it. you need to know if she did this (and if she did, this was very wrong, as not telling you that tips are expected and taking them out w/o your approval are 2 entirely different things). if she did do this, you should not see a charge for $10 pp, per day on your sign and sail account come the end of the cruise. oh, one other thing to know, it isn't all inclusive in the sense of resorts -- alcohol is not included.

I'm sorry, any halfway decent TA would know the port charges, taxes etc are per person! You said she is part time for fun..well, this may be the problem. Find a reputable agent that is in the business for the right reasons with experience behind them.

OP -- you have me confused. you stated in your original post that the total booking price, exclusive of transfers which you later state were paid for separately, was $600 more. but, now you say $1,000 more:confused:

the guidelines for deposit/cancellation on a 7 day cruise (different deadlines apply to sailings for less/more days) are as follows:

Booking for a cruise more than 75 days away -- deposit of $250pp is required at booking. Balance of cruise in full is due 75 days from sailing. So, if she booked your cruise 75 days or less from sailing, full paymt wld be required.

Cancellation -- if b/4 full pymt is due, full refund. 75 -30 days, you forfeit the deposit for each pax; 29-8 days, you forfeit 50% of the booking; 7 days or less, you forfeit the entire fare.

it doesn't seem to make sense to cancel this cruise now, given where you are, unless you cannot reasonably afford to take it. you are not cruising at the cheapest time of the year, but you now know that if you really love this cruise, there are better deals to be had on future cruises if booked in off season times.

since you have never cruised before, i hope that you will go. it is truly a wonderful vacation (though admittedly, there are some who don't like it). i think (and hope) that you and your family will have a wonderful time. there is so much (or so little) to do on each and every cruise, depending upon your mood of the day.

research these boards using the search function to find out everything you can about the ship and about cruising in general. if you have any questions for which you cannot find answers, do not hesitate to post a thread. there are many experienced cruisers who peruse these boards, and their experiences and knowledge can prove invaluable.

One more thing, very important -- find out if this TA had you pre-pay your tips. this is not common, but some people do it. you need to know if she did this (and if she did, this was very wrong, as not telling you that tips are expected and taking them out w/o your approval are 2 entirely different things). if she did do this, you should not see a charge for $10 pp, per day on your sign and sail account come the end of the cruise. oh, one other thing to know, it isn't all inclusive in the sense of resorts -- alcohol is not included.

Thank you for taking the time to post! I really appreciate everyone's replies.

Sorry for the confusion. The $1000 is the $600 she did "not know about" through Carnival and the tipping I did not know I had to pay-again I am NOT disputing the tipping at all (stated in previous posts) but when I was trying to come up with a firm budget amount I asked her to give me ALL the charges including any extras that are involved on a cruise. She mentioned alcohol and the soda card. She did NOT mention the tipping policy at all (which is $320-I think-4 people x $40/day) She also told us to get off the ship and have a cab take us to a beach and that would not cost anything. So obviously I did not do my homework but I was relying on her for a lot of my information and just did not get it. So the budget that I planned is actually $1000 more because of the tipping and the taxes.

She's a TA, Carnival assumes that TA's know that the taxes are per person, as most legitimate TA's do... she says she was misled by Carnival, but the truth is, she messed up... there is no way around it, she should have known better. She is trying to make you think this is Carnival's fault... and that's just wrong.

Had to quote this from GC, because it is true!

The truth of the matter is that almost everyone get's beat on their first cruise, then they go on a wonderful vacation, start talking to other passengers, learn about cool websites and start working it so that they can support the habit!

To the OP, I hope you have a wonderful time. Put this all behind you, continue to research, research, research and you too will be hooked!

We paid too much for our first cruise too! Found this board after our first cruise. And it's true, you will be hooked once you get on the ship.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on this. We are booked on the Conquest for August '07' date=' one of the cheaper weeks to cruise. We use a travel agent, one that we trust and have used for previous group tours. We've been booked since Sept. '06 and have been watching the price climb steadily. Our TA just notified us of a deal Carnival has going on now & we decided to take advantage of it, so we cancelled and re-booked in order to get the upgrade. That being said, our price was $540 pp/x2 and $290 for the 3rd person. The tax/fees per person was $201.88 - the exact same amount as yours. :)[/quote']

I have to ask....what type of cabin did you book? The 3rd person rate you got is incredible!!!

Personally, I don't think you got a "bad deal". I do think that, like all of the others, that you were/are dealing with an inexperienced agent. That being said you have two options, stay with what you have or cancel and rebook with either an experienced agent or directly with a Carnival PVP.

Now you need to move on! I'm not being ugly, really, but your window is closing and you need to start planning your activities.

You should go to the Ports of Call forums and start looking at what others are doing on that same or similar cruise. I am taking the same Conquest cruise on 2/25. I've had some major spinal surgery so my activities are centered around what I can and cannot do. On one day we are doing a Carnival excursion, on another we have booked through a very reputable excursion provider (who is considerably less expensive than the same type of excursion Carnival has listed) and on our final day in port (Cozumel) we are "winging it" if you will. My friend wants to swim with the dolphins and since my husband and I both feel that might not be the best thing for me we'll take a taxi to the park, I'll swim and snorkel whilst she gets towed through the dolphin impound.

Because of some confusion Carnival has given us an onboard credit which should cover the little drinking I can do (I take some pretty strong meds), therefore my excursions and expenditures should run an additional $200.00 hers $300.00.

Now is the time for you to put the ill feelings behind you....do the happy dance....YOU'RE GOING ON A CRUISE you lucky kiddo you!;)

PS. Don't forget to explore Camp Carnival for your kidlets...they'll have a great time and you'll have some "alone time" and it doesn't cost anything for the basic stuff....if the kids go to the arcade you have to pay for that. I can't say enough about Camp Carnival, my grandchildren have always loved it andit rated very highly when the "travel wizards" put out their reviews each year.

If you'd like some money saving ideas send me your email addy and I'll gladly share with you.

Thank you for taking the time to post! I really appreciate everyone's replies.

Sorry for the confusion. The $1000 is the $600 she did "not know about" through Carnival and the tipping I did not know I had to pay-again I am NOT disputing the tipping at all (stated in previous posts) but when I was trying to come up with a firm budget amount I asked her to give me ALL the charges including any extras that are involved on a cruise. She mentioned alcohol and the soda card. She did NOT mention the tipping policy at all (which is $320-I think-4 people x $40/day) She also told us to get off the ship and have a cab take us to a beach and that would not cost anything. So obviously I did not do my homework but I was relying on her for a lot of my information and just did not get it. So the budget that I planned is actually $1000 more because of the tipping and the taxes.

did she pre-pay your tips for you? are your tips part of that credit card bill?

if so, you will not have to pay them on board. you need to confirm whether this was done so you know what kind of further expenses you will have. if she pre-paid them, then the little bonus is that it's an extra couple of hundred that you won't need to dish out come april.

I don't think you got a bad deal speaking from a TA's point of view as well. However, I must agree with the other TA who said that normally you quote pp or by cabin so that there are not "extra fees" which really aren't extra but could confuse someone. I am a TA part time "for fun" but I make sure that I quote a full price and then break it down pp and taxes, etc. The customer knows what they are paying for but doesn't have to add it all up themselves. I don't think you are getting a bad deal considering the time you are going.

Whether the OP got a good price is irrelevant – the price was misrepresented.

What I don't understand is how the TA didn't realize the 'mistake' until after the reservation was confirmed. A company always confirms the total charges to you before they bill your card and finalize the transaction. That sounds fishy to me.

Whether the OP got a good price is irrelevant – the price was misrepresented.

What I don't understand is how the TA didn't realize the 'mistake' until after the reservation was confirmed. A company always confirms the total charges to you before they bill your card and finalize the transaction. That sounds fishy to me.

C

Since my spinal surgery I've looked at all sorts of home business opportunities, including those who tell people that they'll become travel agents. In fact, some...and not all, just want the $475.00 that they collect so that the person can become an "affilliate". There is little or no training involved...it really is a dreadful scam, but it sounds great! There are legitimate organizations as well, such as Carlson where the investment is around $10,000.00, who provide training and licensing. Having looked into a lot of businesses I have to wonder if this particular TA might be involved in one of those not so great organizations. It sounds like she made the reservations from her home, which fits the pattern. I don't think it was done viciously but sometimes ignorance can be quite damaging. I guess I would like to give the friend/neighbor the benefit of the doubt.

Enjoy your Spring Break cruise OP!

C

Since my spinal surgery I've looked at all sorts of home business opportunities, including those who tell people that they'll become travel agents. In fact, some...and not all, just want the $475.00 that they collect so that the person can become an "affilliate". There is little or no training involved...it really is a dreadful scam, but it sounds great! There are legitimate organizations as well, such as Carlson where the investment is around $10,000.00, who provide training and licensing. Having looked into a lot of businesses I have to wonder if this particular TA might be involved in one of those not so great organizations. It sounds like she made the reservations from her home, which fits the pattern. I don't think it was done viciously but sometimes ignorance can be quite damaging. I guess I would like to give the friend/neighbor the benefit of the doubt.

Enjoy your Spring Break cruise OP!

I hear you. But even if the initial quote were an honest mistake, whether a reservation is being made by phone or online, there comes a point where the customer/agent receives some kind of confirmation of the amount about to be charged before they authorize the charge.

:confused:

Leo....you're right, but it has to be difficult to say...."Ooooooops! I made a thousand dollar error and you need to eat it.":eek:

Unfortunately it sounds like the friendship is kaput....and that's always sad.

So I say....let's play up the fact the OP is going on a cruise and help he/she focus on what a great time awaits them! Perhaps even give them some money saving tips for whilst onboard. ~S~

Hi Everyone

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this post! I really appreciate the people who have said get over it, have fun, you are going to love it-so thank you for that. You are right! I have put this in perspective-hey we're going on a great vacation! There are many, many worse things in this world!

"Now is the time for you to put the ill feelings behind you....do the happy dance....YOU'RE GOING ON A CRUISE you lucky kiddo you" You're right!!!

There were a few more questions..

I did book the airline tickets and the transfer on my own.

I did not book any excursions through Carnival-I will book those on my own.

It looks like the price we got isn't the worst price out there so that's a plus. Thank you to the people who checked this out!

The TA commission line on the receipt says $156 and some change. She said she makes 50% of that.

I will still remain neighborly with my neighbor but not use her again to book a trip. I don't believe this was bait and switch but I still think "how could she not know!"

The tips are not prepaid-at least they are not on the receipt that she forwarded to me.

Oh and to the person who wrote

"What is clear is that the OP was looking for a cheap cruise, didn't do his/her homework, relied on a PT TA and is now complaining because they did not understand government fees and the cheap cruise is not so cheap"

No I actually was NOT looking for a cheap vacation at all. I planned a budget for our vacation and I was looking to stay within that budget! If I wanted a "cheap" vacation I would not be doing a 7 day cruise-or I would go on a cheaper cruise-there are plenty out there. This really is more about priniciple for me- my TA knew exactly what my budget was and she did not inform me of the extra expenses involved-tipping, etc-after I explicitly explained to her that I needed a firm budget that had ALL of the costs involved in a cruise. If that is not a TA's job then I don't know what is-I can book a vacation myself every day of the week. Yes I obviously did not do enough research-however I relied on someone who I thought was an expert on the subject (far from it-athough she cruises all the time). As far the the government fees go-I had never even heard of that term until after this was booked! No I did not talk to her about the tipping policy because she explained a cruise as an all-inclusive vacation. Well I have been on 2 fabulous all-inclusive vacations and if you tip the staff they get fired. Yes I KNOW hard to believe knowing what I know now! I had no idea (until this was booked) that there is so much controversy about tipping!!!

Sorry if I sound defensive on this but that's all how I feel!

Okay so thanks again-I appreciate all the the veteran cruisers for helping the first timers!!! I need to go and start checking some other boards! I already found the secrets they don't tell you board-DARN I wish I would have found this website sooner!

...The tips are not prepaid-at least they are not on the receipt that she forwarded to me...

Oh well. that wld have been a bit of a "bonus" because you wld have been able to view your cruise as actually having been $280 cheaper than which was already charged to your card. i hope you have a wonderful time.

looks like she got a 10% commission and the agency she works for gets half. I wonder if in the end it was worth all this for your neighbor to make $78.00.

I'm sure she thought she was helping you out as well as putting some money in her pocket. She sounds very, very inexperienced.

I'm glad to hear you will still be friends with your neighbor and that this hasn't soured you on the cruise.

I hope you have a great cruise!:)

Bill

I'm really sorry this didn't turn out the way you hoped. Hopefully you can still go and enjoy a great vacation. We, too, were almost taken when booking our first cruise. Luckily I am always a comparison shopper and questioned the quote of the first TA i talked to.

We were originally quoted like you were - without port fees or taxes - something like $600pp. I also had asked for airfare quotes both day of and day before I spoke to this agent in person but he told me would send me an email later with the airfare quotes. I got an email a few hours later telling me he had "reserved" my cruise to the tune of $4200 for two people and needed my $1000 deposit right away!!!!:eek:

Not only had I not ever told him to "reserve" anything (what he really meant was hold), he had then added the port fees, taxes, airfare, a $300pp hotel room the night before (yes,that's per person), a rental car I never asked for, and travel insurance. Luckily I hadn't already handed out my cc number. When i emailed to ask for an explanation I got a "this is all standard and customary" line and asked me again for payment! I let him know we wouldn't be booking and he proceeded to send me a nasty email that I had wasted his time. I let him know that I didn't appreciate not being consulted about the rental car, insurance, and a $600 hotel room!

We did eventually book through another TA with no problems for about $2600 and bought insurance on our own, although I later learned I could have done it much cheaper by waiting for a sale. The TA we booked with was ok but didn't provide any extraordinary service so we booked our next cruise directly with Carnival. At least she was honest!

I'm so sorry you had to learn this way. Please also check your credit card bill to make sure you were billed directly by Carnival, not the TA. It's been all over our local news recently that over 100 people have lost money to a dishonest travel agency here (a brick and mortar one) that was using customer deposits to pay the next persons trip off and eventually went bust. A reputable agent will not operate this way - they make their money from commissions and the travel fare goes directly to the travel provider. The FBI is investigating and people are now out thousands of dollars - the cruise lines, hotels, etc. never saw any of their deposit and/or payment monies.

Here's to a great cruise for you - you'll be hooked like all the rest of us.:)

I am booked on the Legend for March for an 8 night balcony cabin and the total for 2 including airfare was $2800.00 from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale. I was happy with this price even though I know some people probably got a better deal. As long as I am happy with the price all is OK. I usually like to spend $1500.00 per person max for a week's vacation once per year. We usually do and AI or Cruise. We also take small vacations during the year to see family etc..I go on-line to see what the cost is then I call my TA and tell her to beat the price and she always does. I also have to book my vacations in advance due to work. I would love to able to go in a moments notice and get great deals. Maybe when I'm retired! Long ways away.:mad: I think that price your were quoted sounds good but do what you feel is best. She definately did not do right by you. Although I don't think it was intentional. Now that you know taxes and transfers etc are extra, you'll remember to ask bottom line price next cruise--and you will cruise agian!:) Go and have great time no matter who you book it through!

Archived