Wind Star Costa Rica

Xoe

What a great cruise we had January 13-20. I have submitted a review, which should appear in that section of the Cruise Critic web site once it's been approved.

Meanwhile, have a look my Costa Rica/Wind Star photo album, which may be as helpful as the verbal report. Photos have titles and explanations, which I hope will be helpful.

http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com/action/

Here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=25378

That's a long URL -- I just looked at this message under "preview post" and part of the URL seems left out there -- so -- if you can't get it that way, go to ship reviews and find it under Wind Star. The review and photos together should give you helpful information as well as a feel for the trip.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Here's the link:

That's a long URL -- I just looked at this message under "preview post" and part of the URL seems left out there -- so -- if you can't get it that way, go to ship reviews and find it under Wind Star. The review and photos together should give you helpful information as well as a feel for the trip.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Here's the link:

That's a long URL -- I just looked at this message under "preview post" and part of the URL seems left out -- so -- if you can't get it that way, go to ship reviews and find it under Wind Star. The review and photos together should give you helpful information as well as a feel for the trip.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

I couldn't seem to get my earlier reply posted this morning -- and now I see it got posted three times!! Sorry 'bout that. Looks like "emmalu" had the same problem.

Yes, I did use Coach Costa Rica both to and from Puerto Caldera. Hotel La Riviera's shuttle provided transportation between the airport and the hotel on both ends of my visit, and Coach Costa Rica picked me up at the hotel to take me to the ship, and at the end, the reverse -- although on the final day we had a full day of sightseeing as well, which was wonderful.

Because I was traveling solo, this was more expensive than the ship's transfer service -- in the category that I call "expensive and worth it" because it was so smooth and pleasant and timed exactly as I wanted it to be. For two or more people traveling together, I think it would be a good value price-wise as well as exceptionally pleasant. There was an extra charge for my final day's sightseeing because La Paz is not on the way from Puerto Caldera to my hotel, rather going there was more than an hour's further trip, and then my driver waited for me while I toured that wonderful place, too. All well worth it!

Hotel La Riviera was not only pleasant, it was very reasonable -- about half the costs I heard other passengers mention for their overnights in or near the San Jose airport. I loved its small size and local flavor.

Emmalu, we live on Whidbey Island. Mt. Baker one of my very favorite places to hike -- and so near home!

My newly submitted review does now pop up by clicking on the link in my earlier post. I hadn't done a review for a long time because some of our recent cruise experiences have been right in line with reviews already posted, so there seemed no point. But Wind Star was SOOOO special, and so few reviews of their Costa Rica itinerary have appeared, so it seemed worth sharing the story.

Anyone know how to get rid of duplicate postings?

We just got off windstar today, and now are staying at Costa Rica marriott- wonderful hotel. We also used Coach costa rica and had great service -would highly recommend them- talk to Fanny.

Beautiful weather on cruise. All the staff were wonderful- loved the ship -will write more later

What a wonderful slide show and review! Thank you! We live right outside Mt Rainier Nat Park.

My question is regarding the transportation arrangement on Coach Costa Rica. I checked out their web site and was wondering if you prearranged and prepaid for your transportation?

Thank you,

Nancy

Nancy (aka ezcheezy), I did prearrange my Coach Costa Rica transport between the hotel and the ship on January 13 and January 20. I paid 50% of it ahead of time by personal check mailed to a U.S. address they use for this purpose, and the balance at the time of my transfer to Puerto Caldera. It all worked very well. When my flight into Costa Rica the evening of January 12 was delayed about 2 hours, the hotel's shuttle driver was nonetheless waiting for me -- and when we arrived at Hotel La Riviera (quite late by this time!), Fanny of Coach Costa Rica was on the phone -- she had been checking on my late arrival, bless her heart! It was a nice touch of being made welcome after a long travel day.

Xoe, Thank you for the information. That is so helpful. Your slide show was so informative and I like that you had pictures of the hotel you stayed at. That looked great too!

What a great adventuresome spirit you have! Happy 72nd birthday!

I highly recommend both Coach Costa Rica's transfer service and Hotel La Riviera B&B. If I were going to Costa Rica again, I would make the same choices. I had some interesting conversations with other guests staying at La Riviera, who seemed to be mostly independent travelers setting off in many different directions. One couple stays there several days each year when they arrive in Costa Rica from Canada for a 1-2 month winter visit in Central America. After a few days at La Riviera, they head to Panama where everything costs less, they said.

That is good information. We are really excited about the Windstar cruise but also enjoy pre-cruise time. It's a shame to fly that far and not see as much as we can.

Planning is such an enjoyable part of the adventure! Thank you for your help.

Nancy

for the joy of travel is 1/3 planning and anticipation, 1/3 the actual experience, and 1/3 reflection and memories, greatly focused around photos.

And then -- on to planning and anticipation for The Next Great Adventure! I need to say, though, that Wind Star is a hard act to follow . . . but we'll try!

• 1 month later...

Archived