Southwest Booking Thru 24 August

I just booked our summer flights!!! Kansas City to Denver for myself and my two children, round trip for all of us, $416~ yay SW!!! The only thing I do not like about SW is the people who fly it and get in the "A" line TWO hours before the flight leaves, this is SO rediculous!!! This guy on our Vegas flight stood at the "A" line for over two hours reading a paper so he could be the first one on...we are all going to get there, is that really necessary? No he wasn't hurting me but he looked like an idiot. Did he not realize that priority boarders go first?? DUH..lol..:cool:

Well sugar.

I'm supposed to be returning on 8/26.

Should I just book 2 1-way flights separately!? :confused:

You might as well. They don't ding (ha) you for booking one ways like other airlines.

I just wish they were a month further, so I could do my own planning!

ugh...what a pain! Luckily I booked my one way to MCO yesterday...was able to get the cheap price...but return flight is May 11...and was not available yesterday.

Now today....price has gone up about an extra $50....So I think we'll hold out for the return flight, until prices go down.......wait..wait...tap...tap...LOL From my experience with Southwest, it seems they have new prices/specials about every Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed....

The only thing I do not like about SW is the people who fly it and get in the "A" line TWO hours before the flight leaves, this is SO rediculous!!! This guy on our Vegas flight stood at the "A" line for over two hours reading a paper so he could be the first one on...we are all going to get there, is that really necessary? No he wasn't hurting me but he looked like an idiot. Did he not realize that priority boarders go first?? DUH..lol..:cool:

Ah, the priority boarders go first, but the priority boarders cannot sit in the exit row. Whenever I fly SW, I ALWAYS try to be the first or near the front to try and claim a seat in the spacious exit row. Usually if I'm not one of the first, the exit row is already claimed. With the odd exception of when I was flying back from Tampa once and didn't get to check in at the 24 hour ahead mark and got a "B" group. I was the 3rd in line in B and still managed to get an exit row seat. I was surprised, but happy.

I am not a frequent SW cruiser.........usually use American.......but I do want to check rates for September for our next cruise out of Baltimore.....

Can any of you SW regulars tell me when possibly the next release date will be? Is there any pattern? I'll need to check the one after they extend out from August 24th.......

Thanks

I book the one ways as I make a lot of changes as flights go down in price and change from award travel to paid. If I booked a roundtrip i could may not be able to change just one part.:)

Hi. I've never booked one way tickets on Southwest. In fact, I think I've only flown Southwest once. If my family and I booked one way tickets to FLL and back, then if the price goes down or if I wanted to change the flight time, I can? I couldn't find on their website what the fee would be to change a flight. Do you know?

Also, who are priority passengers?

Thanks.

Bill, and any other "experts":

Ok, so I booked my tickets as round trip, because I hadn't realized that booking two one-way tickets would cost the same, but could be handled independently.

Does this DEFINITELY mean that I can't change/cancel one way without losing the other?

HELP!!!

For TJ_shopper, absolutely nothing. That is the best part about Southwest that there is no charge to change. Any reduction will be given in a credit that must be used within a year of the original booking. The credit is transferable between names and you can combine several to pay for the future flight.:)

Merion_Mom, I know you can't combine a reward and a paid flight. I think one time a flight I went to change (before I did singles) the 1st part went down but to change it I lost some on the 2nd part that went up. It may not be the same still, but I find it is easier for me to just do them separate. I probably do around 30 r/t's a year on them.:)

Boy, some of the seats available for rewards travel sure go fast. The days around Memorial Day weekend aren't listed as blackout days, but every Friday flight from/to the cities I need was already gone by two pm. Fortunately, we're able to leave on the Thursday, or we would have had to pay for tickets (in which case, we would have chosen another airline, because SW was much more expensive).

For TJ_shopper, absolutely nothing. That is the best part about Southwest that there is no charge to change. Any reduction will be given in a credit that must be used within a year of the original booking. The credit is transferable between names and you can combine several to pay for the future flight.:)

Merion_Mom, I know you can't combine a reward and a paid flight. I think one time a flight I went to change (before I did singles) the 1st part went down but to change it I lost some on the 2nd part that went up. It may not be the same still, but I find it is easier for me to just do them separate. I probably do around 30 r/t's a year on them.:)

Bill, is SW good about handling things on the phone? I know that there's no way to find out about this on the website.

Here's my exact situation: Got exactly what I wanted, price, times, nonstop, PHL to LAX. VERY DISAPPOINTED in LAX to PHL: too expensive, time ok, have to go through Phoenix.

I just want to cancel the return leg and book it on AirTran, which has the same time, still one-stop, but way cheaper. (as cheap as the flight westward) (I would have been ok with the extra money if it were nonstop, but it's not, so I may as well save money!)

Anyone know if SW will let me cancel the LAX to PHL leg while leaving the PHL to LAX leg intact?

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. Since you're the expert, I'm going to ask you some more questions. If I book my travel as one ways and I see the price go down for my flight, how do I get the credit? Can I somehow go into the system and do it myself or do I have to call Southwest and tell them? Do they send you a credit voucher? How does it work?

Thanks so much!:)

Bill, is SW good about handling things on the phone? I know that there's no way to find out about this on the website.

Here's my exact situation: Got exactly what I wanted, price, times, nonstop, PHL to LAX. VERY DISAPPOINTED in LAX to PHL: too expensive, time ok, have to go through Phoenix.

I just want to cancel the return leg and book it on AirTran, which has the same time, still one-stop, but way cheaper. (as cheap as the flight westward) (I would have been ok with the extra money if it were nonstop, but it's not, so I may as well save money!)

Anyone know if SW will let me cancel the LAX to PHL leg while leaving the PHL to LAX leg intact?

You should be able to "cancel" (no refunds, just a credit) the one leg. And as far as your previous question about making changes, I was able to change a flight time on my return leg of one trip without affecting anything to do with my departure leg - including getting a credit since it was cheaper.

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. Since you're the expert, I'm going to ask you some more questions. If I book my travel as one ways and I see the price go down for my flight, how do I get the credit? Can I somehow go into the system and do it myself or do I have to call Southwest and tell them? Do they send you a credit voucher? How does it work?

Thanks so much!:)

To get the credit, you have to log into your reservation, go to "make a change" and then just reselect your same flight at the lower price. You will get a credit for a future flight. When you go to use the credit upon purchasing another flight, you have to type in (or tell the reservation agent if you're doing it by phone) your confirmation number for the flight you had previously gotten a credit from and it'll show up.

Archived