Kenai Fjords Cruise Question - Expert needed

tbenson81

Ok - here is the deal. We are taking the AKRR down to Seward for the day from anchorage and the train gets to Seward at 11:05 and leaves at 6:00

So the only Kenai Fjords cruise we can do would have to be in that time range.

On Kenaifjords.com - Their natl park cruise goes from 11:30-5:30. This is their glacier and wildlife cruise. Says its #1 but its 129 per person

Now - I go to majormarine.com and fine the same cruise for 53 bucks a person if I book online. Substantially cheaper and its only 1hr shorter. Runs from 12:30 - 5:30

Can someone tell me the difference between these 2 cruises? Is there something on the first one that would warrant it being so much more expensive?

Thanks!

Tony

I took a look at their website and it makes me wonder now about my original ideas. For $53.00 in Seward, and $89.00 in Whittier, maybe that's a better idea than buying the Toursaver book when I arrive in Anchorage and hving to use the discount coupons.

I really hope an Alaskan expert chimes in here!

If you only go 55 miles round trip, you are only in the Resurrection Bay. Going further allows you to see marine wildlife and a glacier. Definitely opt for the longer trip if you have the time. The shorter one you could do anywhere in the lower 48 and you probably wouldn't tell much of a difference between that and the shorter one in Seward.

Both Kenai Fjords and Renown have good reputations on this board. I am using Kenai Fjords next summer, someone I know is using Renown. Both of them have toursaver coupons but for certain departures only.

OK, here's your response from a local. All the companies do a good job but I have a personal preference for Kenai Fjords Tours simply because they are more experienced touring the area than anyone else.

While the shorter Resurrection Bay tours are nice, you greatly diminish your chances of wildlife sightings by going on the shorter tours. You really need to get into the park and take a tour to either Northwestern Fjord or Aialik/Holgate Glacier and the Chiswell Islands. These trips run a minimum of 6 hours and the 11:30-5:30pm timeslot is ideal.

When I take my geography classes on the water from either Whittier or Seward, I always go with KFT based on experience alone.

Chenega,

What is your opinion or experience regarding Reknown's claim that their catamaran gives a smoother ride. Iam a bit concerned about the potential for a rough ride ( I will take bonine). I would opt for Kenai Fjords Tours except for the implication that Renown will be smoother. What's the real story on this claim?

Somewhat of the same problem here......

I want to do the 11:30am - 5:30pm tour. Our flight leaves from Anchorage at 12:45am, and want to get on the 6pm train from Seward to Anchorage. Is 1/2 hour enough time (5:30pm - 6pm)? This will be post-cruise, what do I do with the luggage?

Somewhat of the same problem here......

I want to do the 11:30am - 5:30pm tour. Our flight leaves from Anchorage at 12:45am, and want to get on the 6pm train from Seward to Anchorage. Is 1/2 hour enough time (5:30pm - 6pm)? This will be post-cruise, what do I do with the luggage?

Leave your luggage with the tour operator and yes, you will have enough time to catch the train!

Chenega,

What is your opinion or experience regarding Reknown's claim that their catamaran gives a smoother ride. Iam a bit concerned about the potential for a rough ride ( I will take bonine). I would opt for Kenai Fjords Tours except for the implication that Renown will be smoother. What's the real story on this claim?

I'd also like to know this! Thanks.

Oh, you are more than welcome. Glad to see so many people on these boards doing their homework. It's critical on a trip to Alaska since so much $$$ is invested in it.

My wife and I enjoy the claims of tour companies that offer bigger windows, better views, finer food, smoother rides, etc.

If you are going on the all-day Kenai Fjords trips, weather and what is going on in the Gulf of Alaska will determine how smooth your trip is. The catamarans seem to be a bit smoother while in protected waters but once you are in the open ocean, all bets are off. Cats can bounce just as much as other boats depending on the angle of the waves.

On the all day Kenai Fjords trips, the first hour of so is in the calmer waters of mountain-protected Resurrection Bay. However, the trip to the Chiswell Islands does offer open ocean as does passing around Cape Aialik on the way to the glaciers. We've been going for over thirty years and have seen the water ranging from "glass" to a roller-coaster experience.

Rest assured that if the water is too rough, they simply don't go further out.

Nothing worse than a boat load of ill people and, once it starts, it spreads like wildfire.

This can usually be avoided by taking draminine or bronine at least one hour before your cruise leaves. If you wait until you board, you are already too late. Another suggestion is to dress in layers and stay outside on deck as long as possible. The fresh air is much better than a stuffy cabin filled with people. Another suggestion is to keep your eyes moving and look at the scenery rather than staring at the ocean itself.

Now, having said all this, I think the Kenai Fjords trips are on a par with the Denali experience. The trip we took with my nephew last summer featured a pod of seven feeding humpback whales all around the boat, another pod of orca, numerous sea lions, puffins, and an actively calving glacier (Holgate). How can you beat that? The kid was from LA and the only sea animals he had ever experienced were at Sea World!

If you are worried about motion sickness, the tours out of Whittier are also outstanding. They go into the relatively protected waters of beautiful Prince William Sound. You won't encounter as much wildlife, but you will see many more glaciers and get much closer than you do on a cruise ship.

Sorry this is so long but I've seen tons of questions on these tours and though I'd try to be as inclusive as possible on any and all questions.

If prone to motion sickness, TAKE PRECAUTIONS, no matter what boat you are on. I have seen sick passengers every trip. Alaska Heritage runs their fastest and nicest boat on their Northwestern fjords trip- -another plus considering that superior run.

You will make the 6pm departure of the train if on the 11:30- 5:30pm trip, but I do not recommend this as a day trip from Anchorage, way less than ideal.

Verify flights, ideally you need a 2 hour window at the Anchorage airport, expecially on a cruise ship unloading day. Allow 20 min.s for a cab, and up to 15 min. for baggage to be unloaded from the train.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we'll be in Seward for two nights prior to our S/B cruise the end of May. Would it be better to book ahead of time or wait till we get there and see how the weather is? We are interested in at least the 6 hour tour. After reading these threads it sounds like all of the major companies get high marks. I don't know how busy the tours are during the shoulder season. Thanks, Kathy

Hi Kathy, Usually same day isn't a problem. Fridays/weekends are the busiest so I would book ahead for them, plan for day #1 and back up day #2 in case of bad weather.

Yes, all the companies do a good job, go in the same waters. There are also smaller, more personalized tours you can consider. Do go on one that goes out of the bay.

Hi, we'll be in Seward for two nights prior to our S/B cruise the end of May. Would it be better to book ahead of time or wait till we get there and see how the weather is? We are interested in at least the 6 hour tour. After reading these threads it sounds like all of the major companies get high marks. I don't know how busy the tours are during the shoulder season. Thanks, Kathy

If you are using toursaver you need to book ahead. If you are just looking for an available 6 hour boat tour, you can probably wait since there are three companies and several timeframes to choose from. If you are looking for the Northwestern Fjord trip, book in advance, only 1 trip/day.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check with the hubby to see if he wants to go on the longest tour. If not, we'll just wing it. We're coming in on the train the first day so we really have 3 days to play with. Thanks again for all the info you veteran Alaskan cruisers have provided. I based our itinerary on these threads and I'm sure we'll have a memorable trip.

Kathy

I read on this board somewher where Major Marine is the only line to offer reserved table seating. The poster was mentioning that they had a hard time finding seating on another line because people would put their stuff on tables and never return to it. Much like "chair hogs" do on cruise ships. Do other lines offer reserved seating?

I read on this board somewher where Major Marine is the only line to offer reserved table seating. The poster was mentioning that they had a hard time finding seating on another line because people would put their stuff on tables and never return to it. Much like "chair hogs" do on cruise ships. Do other lines offer reserved seating?

Sorry I have gone MANY times on Alaska Heritage boat tours, and NEVER have seen anyone without a seat. I don't know what this poster is referring to, but has never been seen on any boat tour I've been on. I have also never seen more people than seats. Why not just contact the vender directly and inquire if they over sell their boats with not enough seats for everyone?? That will answer your question.

Sorry I have gone MANY times on Alaska Heritage boat tours, and NEVER have seen anyone without a seat. I don't know what this poster is referring to, but has never been seen on any boat tour I've been on. I have also never seen more people than seats. Why not just contact the vender directly and inquire if they over sell their boats with not enough seats for everyone?? That will answer your question.

Budget Queen, thank you for your reply, it certainly addressed my concern. As for contacting the vendor directly, I personally would rather hear information/clarification from past passengers. It has been my experience that vendors some times tell people what they want to hear and do another. I am not saying this happened to me in Alaska (well maybe just once), but it has happened to me enough that I am skeptical.

Archived