Lawrence Of Antigua Update

10X

We did an excursion with Lawrence on 1/31/07 as part of our back-to-back cruises on the Crown Princess. I thought I'd give you an update on this tour.

Lawrence was very easy to find. He was located about 200 yards from the ship, straight toward town (the only direction you can go) and was in his trademark multi-colored vest. There was also a sign with our names on it.

Once everyone was checked in, we were led to his bus and the tour began. The bus was new, very clean, and we had 27 passengers onboard. The bus felt somewhat cramped though because part of the seating is fold-down center aisle seats, making seating 4 abreast across every row in the bus. My wife got a seat over a wheelwell where there was no leg room and she sat with her knees at chin level during the drive. Uncomfortable at best. I'm big enough that I could not have sat in this seat. The bus was nicely air conditioned throughout the trip.

Lawrence uses a microphone/speaker system as he narrates the tour. He is very knowledgable and explains things thoroughly. His web site says the trip includes: "English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, Clarence House, Interpretation Centre, Block House Hill, and Shirley Heights in the south; Betty's Hope and Devil's Bridge in the east, and the lush rain forest in the southwest."

Of this our stops were at Block House Hill, Shirley Heights, Clarence House, and Nelson's Dockyard. We never did go to Devil's Bridge or Betty's Hope, probably due to limited time in port. The "rain forest" was a passing note as we drove through it. We did not stop in the rain forest.

Snorkelers were dropped off at Turner's Beach while the rest of us continued back to the ship.

All-in-all, Lawrence provided a good solid tour for the money. Not spectacular one, but nice. I don't think anyone would regret taking this tour, unless you get a seat over the wheelwell.

Glad to hear that your tour with Lawrence was a good one although a little cramped.

I too just took a tour with Lawrence last week and there was only 4 of us,so we had plenty of space.We got to our metting place with Lawrence (the same place you mentioned) an hour early! We had to wait for about 30 mins or so for the other couple,but still got to leave early.

Our tour did NOT mention anything about going to Devils Bridge.I told him I was not interested in getting "in" the water,so no beach tour for us and he wrote back saying no problem and mentioned all of the sites you did except for DB.BUT...the other couple had mentioned in their email that they would like to see it,so we went there first.It was awesome! It took an extra hour to go there as this is really out of his way for the other sites he visits and he said he normally doesnt include this in the tour we were doing.

We were gone for about 5 hours instead of the 3 that we were suppose to.Very good for only $35 a person! When I book my tours,I always try to book a private tour.They are usually only an extra $10 pp anyway.

I did notice on our tour description he said "we will be driving thru the rain forest".We got out everywhere and some times he had to come looking for us and herd us back into the van :) Dot

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dalsal ( DOT ) we're the ones that toured with you in Antigua. I agree with you about Lawrence's tour. I had requested to go to Devils Bridge in an e-mail and Lawrence said that it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sooo glad we went there. I thought it was well worth it especially if you know the history behind the name. I also enjoyed the Boatyard. Would of liked to stay at the beach that afternoon but it was getting HOT and my wife burns easily.( She's the Asian one) I think that if Antigua was not the last port we probably would of stayed there. But doing 5 islands in 5 days I think we were a little wore out.Maybe we're getting old eh? Lawrence's van is new,in good shape,he's on time,organized,polite,knowledgeable about his island. His sense of humor is a little British ( dry ) though. All in all well worth the cost and a good tour. Thanks again Lawrence.

Terry & Thu

icon7.gificon7.gif

Hi Terry,Hi Thu! Yes,we did have a wonderful day! And,I agree with you about Lawrence and that dry humor.I found him a little difficult to understand,but oh man! That scenery was awesome! I think we were so lucky that you asked about Devils Bridge,as I loved that location.I just wish I could have captured a really good pic of the water spraying up! Got a few good ones,but not the one I would have liked to have.I havent even looked at our video.Too busy trying to plan our cruise to Hawaii (July) and a wedding out of state in April.

And,yes,Lawrence was very dependable.He was there a full hour earlier than our tour.I didnt think we needed that extra time,but he insisted we should book an hour after docking..it all worked out thou,while we waited for the two of you to show up,I shopped!! :) That was fun! Thanks for a fun day! Dot

Archived