Costa - "Cruising Italian Style"

Cruisin Costa

Before you board a Costa ship, please recognize that you are boarding an Italian ship. The majority of passengers (that I found on my vacation) are Italian, Spanish and German. I have read many complaints about there being comminucation problems with the languages, and that there weren't as many Americans/Canadians as some would have hoped. I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't go to Italy and expect different, so why do you expect it on an Italian ship? That's one of the reasons why Costa is a different ship, it's not the normal American way of vacationing - it truly is like being on a floating European community. So enjoy the barrier and try to embrace the different culture - even when the ship is sailing to the Caribbean, you are still getting some European culture.

All of the elevators announce decks in Italian, first, then English... after a week you'll be saying "Ponte due, deck two" like a native ....;) The European atmosphere is infectious!

HA! I was even announcing it when riding the elevators on Victory, 8mo after i went on magica :)

• 6 years later...
Before you board a Costa ship, please recognize that you are boarding an Italian ship. The majority of passengers (that I found on my vacation) are Italian, Spanish and German. I have read many complaints about there being comminucation problems with the languages, and that there weren't as many Americans/Canadians as some would have hoped. I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't go to Italy and expect different, so why do you expect it on an Italian ship? That's one of the reasons why Costa is a different ship, it's not the normal American way of vacationing - it truly is like being on a floating European community. So enjoy the barrier and try to embrace the different culture - even when the ship is sailing to the Caribbean, you are still getting some European culture.

These "complaints" have been discussed to death.

I come from Europe. Have no barriers.

By no means it's a floating European community.

Even if it were, we cruise on cruise ships, not on "communities".

Major complaint about Costa - poor dining options.

Never a different culture was a complaint! Lower quality product - that is a problem. Ships are generally more crowded than many other. Performances on the main stage are bland with no live music.

I love European culture and European food.

The sooner Costa becomes European the better.

So far the most European products are Cunard, HAL and Princess. 10 times more European than Costa.

Why?

They follow best maritime traditions that come from Europe. Europe is a cradle of maritime civilization.

Edited by cruisetrail

Sorry that just not so!

Its an Italaian line, the food was great..at least it was 2 weeks ago.

And as for live music there were 4 or 5 places to enjoy it every night!

I'm British and live in Spain, its part of Europe but Europe is not one culture/country but many.

If you pick and choose,you can find something to support either opinion. There are really two Costas- an off-season cruise is much different from European vacation time. Be suspicious of a review that doesn't provide any detail.

Cunard likes to think of itself as British, although really it's more American. HAL? Think Florida buffet restaurant during early bird special.

Costa may have many, many faults, but dancing and nightlife (as distinct from heavy drinking) is the best I've ever found, on over 60 cruises.