international luggage shipping services

Liv4cruzin

I'd like to draw upon y'alls experiences with shipping your luggage from Europe to your U.S. home. I've picked up a few names on the boards of companies that specialize in this. Their websites give no info on how this works. I know I can call toll free numbers to ask questions; but I'm would prefer to hear from you exactly how smoothly the system works. I am disembarking the Regatta in April in Marseilles, France. I start my journey home the same day; flying to Dusseldorf, Germany via Paris w/ an extremely short layover (if you can even call 30 min. a layover). I have a short overnight stay in DUS, flying to FL early the next morning. I'm concerned that luggage won't make the connection & possibly not catch up w/ me in DUS. I can't believe how expensive this type of service is. But I'm more concerned about how my luggage would be handed over to the courier/shipping service. I wouldn't want to have to box it up & deliver it somewhere before I make my way to the MRS airport. On the Crystal boards they talk about Virtual Bellhop (through Crystal). There you put your luggage outside your cabin door; it's whisked away & all paperwork is handled for you. If I were to set this up independently, I would expect it would take much more effort on my part upon disembarkation. Anyone been there, done this? I would love to hear your story.

I looked into it, and found it was just too expensive to even consider it. I would guess mostly business travelers use this service and have a way of having it paid for or are able to deduct it from their taxes. Coming home, I never worry about my luggage. I don't care if it arrives days after I do. I do worry going to a cruise port which is one reason I always arrive a day or two before the cruise is to leave.

I don't usually worry about my luggage after the cruise ends either. But in this case, I will. I'm flying Air France from Marseilles/Paris/Dusseldorf. I have a separate ticket the next day to fly Dusseldorf/Ft. Myers on LTU. I doubt that these 2 airlines have an interline agreement for transferring bags. It's that 30 min change of plane (& change of terminal) at CDG that's the biggest risk. I'm worried that if I fly on LTU w/o my bag that Air France can't "forward" my bags on to LTU and/or send "unaccompanied" bags on to FL.

• 11 years later...

We used Luggage Forward in April and May. Our trip was composed of 9 days on land in Ireland on our own and then a 13 day cruise on the Silversea Muse, embarking in Dublin. Not wanting to haul around a very large suitcase while driving in Ireland, we asked Luggage Forward to pick up the suitcase before we left our home in rural Virginia and deliver it to the ship. Pickup went as planned and the suitcase was in our suite when we boarded. We also had it shipped home after disembarkation in Barcelona. As promised, it arrived at our house six days after we did. No problems whatsoever, good customer support, good tracking system, and the suitcase showed no damage or soiling at all. As for pricing, I suggest that you consider price with regard to convenience and airline baggage fees versus the cost of Luggage Forward prices. Please note that our experience was strictly home-to-ship and back home again.

We've used Luggage Forward, and the service was seamless in that we found the luggage in the stateroom when we arrived at the ship and it was picked up from the ship at the end of the voyage with just a word to our Butler.

Our luggage did not travel, in either direction, on the same flights as we did, which is, I think, what you are asking.

I would be more concerned about you 30 min layover, I can't see how that would work unless they delay the next flight specifically for you. Are they putting special transport on to get you to the new gate in the other terminal?

I would be more concerned about you 30 min layover, I can't see how that would work unless they delay the next flight specifically for you. Are they putting special transport on to get you to the new gate in the other terminal?

The question was asked 11 years ago

I hope they sorted it by now

We are using LuggageFree for our large suitcases for our Baltic cruise that starts next Monday. FedEx picked up the suitcases, exactly on schedule. We trust that the service will be exactly as stated on their website. Expensive? Yes? But, when we're spending so much on the cruise and airfare, why ruin the trip at the beginning, hurting your back, schlepping around heavy bags?

Duh ! Time for some more Duff........ :)

BTW LTH28, you should stay clear of the Port, before the sun is over the yardarm a See port #6 :)

I blame it on the keyboard

That is my story & I sticking to it :halo:

I guess the info is still valid but the thread was started in 2007

until port #4 advertising their service popped up

Post # 4 is NOT an ad, he's a real person that i married 30 years ago. Our experience with luggage forward was exceptional this spring - sometimes when things actually go well, you want to tell someone about it. Hard to believe with all the negativity on these forums, I know.

He thought he was responding to a recent post, not an old one. It happens. Before accusing someone of advertising, take a moment and check their posting history. Sheesh.

Post # 4 is NOT an ad, he's a real person that i married 30 years ago. Our experience with luggage forward was exceptional this spring - sometimes when things actually go well, you want to tell someone about it. Hard to believe with all the negativity on these forums, I know.

He thought he was responding to a recent post, not an old one. It happens. Before accusing someone of advertising, take a moment and check their posting history. Sheesh.

The original post #4 was deleted by the host

it was advertising a service

sorry you missed it