Your thoughts--Making your River Cruise Reservations

berney

I and my husband have been researching European River Cruises in anticipation of finally being able to cruise in 2008.

Having called some of the on-line Travel Agencies and cruise lines directly we both came away with the same feeling that since were not calling to make a reservation at that time, we were not taken seriously. We did mentioned we were planning to make a reservation as soon as the 2008 sailing calendars became available and we could make a final decision on a cruise provider and sailing date. It felt more like “Call us when you’re ready to make a reservation”

We realize that on-line Travel Agencies probably get 100’s of calls everyday just to ask questions and they never hear from them again.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and recommendations on finding a TA that’s willing to work with a new customer?

We would also be interested in your comments for the following questions…..

1. Did you make reservations through a local TA, directly with the cruise line or an on-line Travel Agency?

2. If reservations were made through an on-line Travel Agency, which one?

3. Do you have a TA you would recommend?

We have been looking at river cruises in Europe for about two years. After much research online, I signed up for email notices from Viking and others. Also requested their latest catalog.

Because we are on their email listing, we get a lot of material from them, including new schedules. In addition, they notify us of "last minute" specials. For instance, we just booked a Netherlands 7 day cruise with Viking in early April on a 2 for 1 special. Only the higher category cabins were available but at the reduced price it put the cruise into a price bracket we could afford.

We did book directly with them not through a travel agent although that was an option.

Can't tell you when they will publish their 2008 schedule, but you may want to consider signing up for email notices and requesting a catalog. That gets you on their potential customer list and should get you plenty of advance information.

Cheers,

berney,

As far as I remember the board rules do not allow to recommend a certain TA.

For European river cruises (but I´m from Germany) I´m booking directly with the cruise line. For our US river cruises I do have a US TA who is a friend of us. Our upcoming cruise on the Grandeur I´ve booked with my local TA who usually books all our flights too.

Anyway, I second sk8teacher: Go to the cruiseline websites, order their brochures for 2007, sign up their newsletters. Reading a brochure is much easier than browsing the websites. You can lay them out and compare the itineraries. I´d suggest to decide on the itinerary first with the 2007 brochures. Then when the 2008 itineraries are out doublecheck your itinerary and the possible dates and book directly with the cruiseline.

steamboats

• 3 weeks later...

Bernie, I don't know where you live or if this would even be convenient for you, but I suggest you establish a relationship with a local, store-front travel agency and let them know of your desire to take a river cruise. Unlike some of the 800 number agencies, the store-front folks seem to have more time to spend with you and help you find what you want. Unfortunately, too many people use these agents to get all the information and then the customers under cut them by going to an online store to actually buy their cruise....in my opinion...not quite fair. I love the personal service given by a local travel agency and have always felt like there was plenty of time available to help me find exactly what I wanted. We're already booked for July of 2008 through our agency!

mushroom,

If you´re doing your homework it´s no problem to book directly with a cruise company or with an online TA. The main problem of berney is that simply not all cruise companies have all published their 2008 schedules.

River cruising is quite different from ocean cruising. I do have a TA who is very experienced in river cruises. But most TAs simply don´t have the slightest clue what they are selling. The customers of those TAs might be totally disappointed as their expectiations of a river cruise might have differed from reality.

I´d use my local TA but I won´t rely on his experience or advice unless he´s experienced in river cruising. I´d do my homework and gather information myself.

steamboats

For most of the European river cruise companies, February of the running year is the final deadline for their next year sailing plan. Most such sailing plans become available to the general public by June.

Obviously, the trend towards always 'earlier bookings' is still running strong and, it seems, that we shall all soon witness bi-annual planning as an emerging industry standard.

EURiverCruiser

Archived