T.A. or Book My Self???

DISFANS3

I am not having any luck with Travel agents, Long story Short. First Cruise in 93 used travel agent, agent left company same time as our tickets arrived, company would not give us cruise tickets because agent left and everthing was put on hold, big fight we did get the tickets..... NEW TRAVEL agent #2, Another cruise, When we booked Cruise line had a special, offered us a ship model and $$$ ship credit. Git on ship no model or credit, back home Travel agent looks into problem, took 6 months to solve this problem, travel agent and company get tired of me stopping by trying to find out about my model and credit. Brings me to today, getting ready to book RCI liberty or Freedom for June 08. I find a new Travel agent # 3, that just does Cruise only, nice person only problem he is out of town 2 out of 4 weeks every month shuts down office no help... Should I go with travel agent that is cruise only and hope he is open when dates come available for 08 or should I just book my self, ????????

You can always switch over to a TA before final payment if they offer you anything of value. When you book by yourself you can call RCCL and make any changes you like, you watch for discounts and specials, and if something comes up just give them a call and they will adjust your price - no middleman (or woman).

The first two sound like ones I dealt with in the past, but I so wouldn't go with someone who is out of the office 1/2 the month. What if there is a price reduction and it is their 2 weeks gone? What is you need to make a change and it is their gone?

Do you know what type of room you want? Inside, oceanview (window), balcony or suite? Do you know where you want to go? Those are the two hardest decisions. Research on the website your time frame and destination, and room type and call RCCL directly. On the website they show a sampling of rooms so if you call the agent will be able to help you with the full availability.

RCCL no longer allows discounting of the cruises by TA's so you will get the same price no matter how you book. If you book directly then you are in control of your own reservation. If you see a price reduction you can call and have it reduced. If you want to make a change or question something you can talk to RCCL. If you use a TA you have to go through them because they own your booking.

If you are unsure of something come on cruise critic and ask!!!

I am not having any luck with Travel agents, Long story Short. First Cruise in 93 used travel agent, agent left company same time as our tickets arrived, company would not give us cruise tickets because agent left and everthing was put on hold, big fight we did get the tickets..... NEW TRAVEL agent #2, Another cruise, When we booked Cruise line had a special, offered us a ship model and $$$ ship credit. Git on ship no model or credit, back home Travel agent looks into problem, took 6 months to solve this problem, travel agent and company get tired of me stopping by trying to find out about my model and credit. Brings me to today, getting ready to book RCI liberty or Freedom for June 08. I find a new Travel agent # 3, that just does Cruise only, nice person only problem he is out of town 2 out of 4 weeks every month shuts down office no help... Should I go with travel agent that is cruise only and hope he is open when dates come available for 08 or should I just book my self, ????????

I booked directly with RCI & have had no problems. Just got upgraded yesterday. From my understanding, TA do not get this option. Plus you pay the same price regardless if you book with a TA or RCI. I just think it's a better idea to book with RCI in case something happens, whereas for most people have trouble with TA. Good luck

We have always done this now that RCI does not pass discounts onto agents and have been far better off dealing directly with RCI. They have honored EVERY price drop that has happened on our cruises and we even got upgraded to a JS once...Never once had a problem with direct RCI, as opposed to difficult TA's that we've had too.

You will be happy you went directly with RCI, if you decide to.

I've heard that if you book with a TA, they can offer OBC, send wine etc. Price of the cruise will be the same, but perks are offered. Is this true? or just a myth?

Sometimes, some agents, not a given! And those things are minimal in comparasion IMO to having control over your reservation.

I've heard that if you book with a TA, they can offer OBC, send wine etc. Price of the cruise will be the same, but perks are offered. Is this true? or just a myth?

I usually book direct with RC to lock in the price. I then take my time to make sure I get the perfect cabin but will eventually use a TA that I have used several times for an on board credit. I do like having control by booking myself but that OBC is nice too! I wouldn't settle for a bottle of wine. If that was their offer I would look elsewhere or stay with RC.

I don't know if we can name the place we used vs. a specific name. Suffice it to say a major grocery warehouse that offers travel (hopefully that's okay to say)

We've used them several times and gotten the best prices. With RCCL, since the price is the same regardless & they can't offer any discounts to their customers - they threw in free trip insurance, a photo album, wine & cheese, strawberries & champagne. AND they have gotten every price drop that came along including upgraded 2 decks and $100 back onto my visa (not OBC) after we were fully paid.

With Carnival, we've booked w/ a PVP at Carnival (she gets credit) then transferred the res. to our membership above and they get credit too, throw in the perks, get the best price, etc. It's worked out very well for us.

I just booked our next cruise directly with RCI. I have used TA on the last 2 cruises and have had similar problems to you.

This time I decided to book directly (have a RC visa and will get double points for purchases directly from RCI)

I did not like the cabin selection on the website, so I called them. I was able to get a Deck 10 aft cabin, much better than the website.

They also told me they would adjust my price if it went down.

Good Luck

We use TA for all our travel, air, sea hotels etc. The best benefit is they always seem to get better hotel rates for us than the hotel quotes on the net. We have used the same TA for over 20 years. I guess there are TA's and there are TA's

I just booked our next cruise directly with RCI. I have used TA on the last 2 cruises and have had similar problems to you.

This time I decided to book directly (have a RC visa and will get double points for purchases directly from RCI)

I did not like the cabin selection on the website, so I called them. I was able to get a Deck 10 aft cabin, much better than the website.

They also told me they would adjust my price if it went down.

Good Luck

They will adjust you price if it goes down, but you have to keep track of price drops and notify them. They won't automatically do it. Call right away if you see the price drop, it may not last long.

Brings me to today, getting ready to book RCI liberty or Freedom for June 08. I find a new Travel agent # 3, that just does Cruise only, nice person only problem he is out of town 2 out of 4 weeks every month shuts down office no help... Should I go with travel agent that is cruise only and hope he is open when dates come available for 08 or should I just book my self, ????????

I've had a past booking that the price dropped for just a weekend and then the price went right back up again on Monday. Since I "owned" the booking, I was able to take advantge of the price drop with a simple 2 minute phone call to RCI. Some others on our roll call were not as lucky because they couldn't get in touch with their TA in time. I saved hundreds of dollars, but they got a bottle of wine for booking with a TA. :rolleyes: This was the only price drop on any cruise I have ever booked (usually they go up and I'm just happy to have the early booking price) and I would have been upset to see it pass without being able to take advantage of it.

This is the best part about using a TA. We are receiving a $200 OBC on our next cruise. You just have to find the right TA. They will honor price drops. They will honor cancellations without fees. TAs can help.:cool:

I kind of knew that RCCI and Celebrity don't discount to TA's anymore and so prices would be the same to anybody. I love one of the Northern Europe and one of the Mediterranean cruises that RC offers, so when I book I think I will just go thru them. I like my TA but sometimes it's a pain trying to get ahold of them as they're not there 24/7 like the cruise line is.

I'm not as seasoned a cruiser as alot of CC members...but for our 3 previous cruises... the first 2 we used the same TA, she was great. If I remember correctly she sent a bottle of Asti to our cabins each time. Not a "great" perk compared to others I've read about, but hey we were "virgin" cruisers. LOL. For our cruise in 2003 and for this recent reservation I just booked last week...I booked directly myself with RCI. I did go by our local TA office just to see what advantages there would be to my switching to a TA and the office gal told me...gee they would be able to answer questions that we normally wouldn't be able to get answered online. Huh? Needless to say I went ahead and booked with RCI myself. No incentive there. I think she was just the flunky working the front desk, but if that's how they train them to inform the customers, then they won't get my business. (Very few people were actually in the office that day...big snow storm)

So, if you feel confident enough to do it yourself...do it. That way you keep control right where it belongs and you can only yell at yourself if you screw up. LOL.

Good Luck! :D

Maybe I am speaking out of turn, but I just heard from my wife - who is a travel agent.

First thing this morning, she received a call from 2 clients that are booked on cruises that leave today. Due to the Valentine's Day storm, their flights today were cancelled (go figure) and they are stuck with having to find a way to get to port.

She literally is on the phone with the airlines and the cruise line at the same time trying to find a way to salvage their vacation.

I was always one that booked travel myself, thinking that I could save a buck. Now that my wife is in the business and I see the extra mile that she goes for her clients, I would never hesitate recommending that someone use an agent - and that would mean ANY agent, not just my wife!

This is the best part about using a TA. We are receiving a $200 OBC on our next cruise. You just have to find the right TA. They will honor price drops. They will honor cancellations without fees. TAs can help.:cool:

I asked this question on another thread but will try again. We have booked our first cruise with RCI through a TA and he has promised us an OBC. My question is how do I know he will follow through on this promise? Does he send me something in writing or do I just wait till I get on the ship to see if he actually does give us the OBC. Sure would appreciate an answer to this question as so far all I have is is word.

Finding the "right" travel agent can save you time if there are problems. Same price, and they do the work for you. You must find one that is trustworthy and is there to remedy problems. If you don't use a travel agent, book through Royal Caribbean versus an big, online 800 number type of company where you do not get personal service by someone who knows you and is invested in your satisfaction.

I emialed and called her twice after she emailed me a quote of 150 total more to upgrade to a balcony, she got back to me 4 hours later and said it was 900 more to upgrade NOW, so if she was correct the first time I lost that opportunity to upgrade for 150 and now if I wish hand over 900. I said no,.

QUESTION: Can I call RCCL and cancel the TA and work with them??? What will it take to release the booking to me??? I am online all dya long as a part of my job and can glance at RCCL and see what is up as opposed to working with someone that loses a deal like that..

Thanks

I have no direct answer for the OP, because I haven't used a TA in ages (not since the internet, basically, LOL). I booked our honeymoon cruise through RCI's site and it all went very well.

But I do want to mention something that I've learned here.

I've learned that there are *some* travel agents who don't honor price drops. So you can't decide to use a TA because they offer you something and will honor price drops. Some don't. So find out first if they will, don't just assume it because x number of people on a thread have TAs who will, and think they all do. :)

Archived