Carnival stopping military discounts

mprucha

HELP----------My parents decided to book the same cruise that we did sailing on May 11. My father is an honorably discharged vet. When they booked and mom told them about it, they were told that Carnival is no longer doing that any of the cruises but I'm reading everywhere where people are doing it still. Has anyone else heard this or had this happen? Should they call and fight to get it??

'Military' discounts aren't available on all cruises, and when they are, they are only offered for a specified time period or until the allotment of cabins sells out!:) Don't bother 'fighting it'.. If there are no cabins available in that 'rate', all the fighting in the world won't help..:rolleyes: :p

As others have stated there are a limited number of "military discount" cabins and one has to book very early to receive those discounts. We've never had a problem but we do plan very early...we like to budget everything so that very little is charged. I usually plan our vacations for the next 18 months each Christmas...that way our kids are home and they have some input on the family based ones.

I've booked "Past Military" on my last three cruises. Here's the deal. You are usually on Rivera Deck. The discount is aroung the $100 p/p range. If the price of the cruise falls before boarding, you don't get the discount, because you've already got your discount via military.

My son booked the same time we did. The price fell alot and he ended up with a better price and deck. I'll probably book the "regular joe" rate the next time and take my chances with the price falling and the possibility of a better deck.

Yes, the militay discount is available on most, but not all the ships, but, their policy for compensating the vets leaves much to be desired, (as stated above). Ask before you book about this, then make your decision.

I've booked "Past Military" on my last three cruises. Here's the deal. You are usually on Rivera Deck. The discount is aroung the $100 p/p range. If the price of the cruise falls before boarding, you don't get the discount, because you've already got your discount via military.

My son booked the same time we did. The price fell alot and he ended up with a better price and deck. I'll probably book the "regular joe" rate the next time and take my chances with the price falling and the possibility of a better deck.

Yes, the militay discount is available on most, but not all the ships, but, their policy for compensating the vets leaves much to be desired, (as stated above). Ask before you book about this, then make your decision.

That is wrong too. We have a military discount for our upcoming cruise in May. We booked it last October and the "Regular Joe" rate has gone down twice since we booked. At the same time the "Regular Joe" price went down so did our military price. We have gotten two reductions in how much we owe on our final payment.

I agree with the posters who say it just may be that specific cruise. When we booked last year for our April 07 cruise we rec'd the military rate and were allowed to book three addt'l cabins at that rate. That was for a limited time and our friends were on the fence at the time and missed out.

As for it being on the Riviera only and no drop downs with price allowed, that is just not true. We always book military and have always picked a balcony. We also made final payment on 2/13 and I saw a cheaper military rate on a site that shows military discounts/sailings and called my PVP who called Carnival and we got a 245.00 OBC.

If your interested in the site to check military pricing let me know at kmarcey@aol.com and be sure to put something about cruise in the subject line.

Take care

My read on the discounts says "select sailings". Just the same as my cheesy past guest discount:rolleyes: If this is a big deciding factor, consider several ship choices on several dates for the best outcomes, let your TA do the searching then.

We also have found the above not to be true. This is the reason we switch to a PVP from a TA. The TA did not work with us on the Military discount. Our PVP is great. Even though we get the discount we also get credit when the price drops on the cruise we booked. We also got upgrades. Our last cruise we went from Inside on the Riviera deck to outside and up to the Empress deck. Our Military discount was about $135 pp and we save another $200 in price drops and upgrades. Ever since we started working with a PVP we have had these opportunities.

Carnival offers the best Military discounts. On RCCL, they only honor active duty or retired military. With Carnival you only need to have a minimum of 2 years active duty and honorable discharge.

I am sure there are some TA's that will work with you on the discount and drops in price but not very many as it cuts into their commission.:eek:

I just booked a cruise a few days ago and got my military discount and anyone that travels with me gets the discount! Maybe call someone else, I've always got a military discount on all my previous cruises- MAYBE let me know what cruise your trying to book and I'll see what they are telling me

I just booked a cruise a few days ago and got my military discount and anyone that travels with me gets the discount! Maybe call someone else, I've always got a military discount on all my previous cruises- MAYBE let me know what cruise your trying to book and I'll see what they are telling me

Is this booking directly thru Carnival or another website? I have been searching for the Friends and Family Plan for months. We have the military rate but are anxiously awaiting for this promo for our other 2 cabins. Thanks!!!!!:o

HELP----------My parents decided to book the same cruise that we did sailing on May 11. My father is an honorably discharged vet. When they booked and mom told them about it, they were told that Carnival is no longer doing that any of the cruises but I'm reading everywhere where people are doing it still. Has anyone else heard this or had this happen? Should they call and fight to get it??

Last year I booked a cruise on Valor and my TA got me the military discount (I'm retired from the USAF). As I was "surfing" the internet one day, I noticed that Carnival was offering a senior citizen discount, and guess what, it was better than the military discount. My TA cancelled my reservation with the military discount and re-booked me with the senior discount. Now, of course I don't know if your parents are seniors, but if they are, check and see if you can get that discount if the military discount isn't available. It's worth a shot. ;)

I just checked and on the May 11th sailing on the Miracle they are offering MIL discounts on just the OV starting at $729pp for a 5A and the Balconies starting at $779pp. So yes there are some cabins available in limited categories.

Dave

We received a $400 military discount on our Glory sailing in July, and we were able to select the specific cabin we wanted; 8A balcony, midship.

As others have correctly pointed out, the discounts are available only on select ships and sailings..

My son (active military) and I booked our January 7, 2007 cruise during the Christmas holiday in 2005 (13 months before the cruise) and got a military discount (didn't even know it exsisted until my PVP mentioned it). It might be that there are only a certain number of cabins available for military discounts and you have to book early.

Archived