Question about tipping (sort of)

KTownGirl

We will be tipping with $, but I like the idea of giving the staff something from home. I just need an opinion if anybody thinks this is stupid.

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, home of the biggest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. This past year, I picked up a bunch of pins with Onle Hans holding a stein of beer, and it has printed on it "Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest, It starts here. Molson Canadian."

I've attached a picture. Just let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Hans.jpg.3078531bb4694db3f8cae98bd37e2dc2.jpg

We will be tipping with $, but I like the idea of giving the staff something from home. I just need an opinion if anybody thinks this is stupid.

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, home of the biggest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. This past year, I picked up a bunch of pins with Onle Hans holding a stein of beer, and it has printed on it "Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest, It starts here. Molson Canadian."

Thanks!

Its a nice gesture, most of the staff I have talked to say they dont really like to get gifts, since they dont have much space. Since your pin is small, I dont see it being a problem.

Its a nice gesture, most of the staff I have talked to say they dont really like to get gifts, since they dont have much space. Since your pin is small, I dont see it being a problem.

of course, they like cash, like everyone in the world. Imagine yourself as a waiter - would you care for pins and postcards from your patrons?

Stick with the cash.

Think about it........... These people deal with hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people a year. Do you honestly think they want/need/have room for a gift from their patrons?

The idea of a gift from home sounds nice to you, not necessarily to them. Regardless of how "close" you feel to your waiter/assistant waiter/cabin attendant/bartender, unless you travel with them regularly, they won't remember your name a week after you disembark.

Regardless of how "close" you feel to your waiter/assistant waiter/cabin attendant/bartender, unless you travel with them regularly, they won't remember your name a week after you disembark.

They might not remember your name, but it's amazing how some of them remember past cruisers. I was talking to someone in the buffet and mentioned we had sailed on the Conquest nine months before and she said "oh yes, you had your mother with you then". :eek:

Hi and welcome to the boards.:)

You don't know, of course, but there have been many, many threads on giving/not giving crew members gifts from home.

The thing is - they share very tiny quarters and have absolutely no space for these things. I've talked w/cabin stewards about this, and they all say NO; although they appreciate the gesture. One steward told me that he and his roommate have over 200 phone cards stacked up.

The things we treasure and think would make wonderful gifts just don't mean a thing to them....but if you take something, they will smile and say thank you.

What they really need and appreciate the most is some extra cash during or at the end of the cruise (over and above your automatic tips, of course). Many of them send money 'home' to their families, who have very little.

So - even though you mean it in the very nicest way, please just give extra cash.:)

I agree with everyone else ~ although your thought is very nice, and your heart is in the right place, that little pin would probably end up in the trash can because the staff just doesn't have the storage space to keep gifts from passengers. If you give them a little extra cash, they can buy the things they really need with it. We always leave our auto-tips on our S&S card, and then give a little extra cash to staff that we feel were outstanding.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Jan hasd a great idea about presenting a pin to your tablemates. I'd like to take it one step further and say you might think of taking pins to share with Cruise Critic members you meet up with on board.

We've met so many great people through roll calls on these boards. Many times we have been involved in grab bag exchanges with roll call members at meetings on the ship. We have collected quite a collection :) of items given to us by other cruisers and really enjoy looking at them and remembering all the great adventures we shared with other CC members. A pin from your home area sounds perfect to share with other CC members and tablemates.

Dianne

Thanks!

I think you should. I think someone who has hundreds and hundreds of sailings would know better than those who replied to this thread.Who would you rather listen to? A few cruise sailers or the wife of a Celebrity cruise ship captain,who worked many years on a ship as well?

She writes......It is difficult to think of that extra something to give to a crew member. One factor that comes to mind is the fact their contract lasts from six to nine months (some longer); thus, their weight allowance is limited and their luggage stuffed. If you have created a special bond with someone and want to show appreciation, know that crew members love gifts that represent you or your hometown, whether it's a fun T-shirt or unusual chocolates. Other great choices are an international phone card to call home, a $2 bill or a $1 gold coin (these are fun, but make sure the staffer knows what they are), a keychain from your home (I was given one from the Buffalo Bills Super Bowl game in the early 90's; I cherish it), a charm for a bracelet or a necklace, or a Mont Blanc pen. If you become close then take them with you for a meal off the ship, or on a tour. It is something from you. Just keep it small.......

You can read the whole article from CC homepage and chooses Features then the Gratuities article.

STeve

Archived