How To Book?

CupCaked

Hi everyone,

We're not new to cruising and have 30+ under our belts, but we're (finally!) planning a Viking River Cruise on the Viking Sun for later this year.

My question is, should I book directly with Viking or should I speak to a local TA? Are the brochure prices chiseled in stone or are they somewhat flexible, like regular cruises are? Are there TAs that deal with river boat cruising as a specialty the way there are TAs that specialize in booking cruises?

Thanks so much in advance :-)

Cupcaked, I for one would not book directly with a line unless I had no other choice (such as Grand Circle, Vantage etc).

First, T/A's often have access to special deals that the line will not offer you on a direct booking. Also, T/A's have access to any specials that the lne is offering for a direct booking so nothing to lose there. I am sure that you know that you do not get a discount booking directly with the line for the agent's commission that they save.

More importantly, if anything gets mixed up or goes wrong I want someone there to fight my battle for me. Do you think your argument, as one customer, would have as much persuasion as that of a T/A who might book dozens upon dozens of clients every year?

There are some agents who do a lot of business with one line or another. Since we are not permitted to tout agents on this Board I will not attempt to name any but I suspect that others will.

Clarence:)

Clarence, thank you SO much. I have to agree with what you said about a TA as advocate. I do hope others will point me in the direction of a competent river cruise TA. I would very much appreciate that :-)

Once again, thanks!

With Viking you can book with the company and then transfer to a TA, like ocean cruise lines.

On River cruises there are fewer cabins... so I think it is nice to know right away what is available rather than waiting for a TA's call. Also TA's sometimes only promo certain cats..From my experience a discount TA will give you 8-10% off Viking's brochure. Good Luck.

Definitely recommend using an agent. While there are very few who specialize in just river cruising, do try to find one who has at least been on river cruises themself, and hopefully also has personal familiarity with the line of your choice.

... I do hope others will point me in the direction of a competent river cruise TA...

I hope you don't mind some friendly 05.gif information, but per our Community Guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Basically, the names, web sites, etc. of travel agents/agencies or other cruise-related sites or message boards --- even if "masked" --- are not allowed in Cruise Critic message board posts. Posts asking for the name, site or further information in a post or via e-mail, and posts offering same, will be removed as well as any replies to the deleted posts.

As L:) ri mentions, try going to www.google.com. You will find many of the agencies your fellow Cruise Critic members would recommend, give feedback, etc. if they could.

I sincerely hope this information will be satisfactory.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

There are some agents who do a lot of business with one line or another. Since we are not permitted to tout agents on this Board I will not attempt to name any but I suspect that others will.

Not that I didn't warn you! Arghhh!

• 3 weeks later...

Another bit, if I may?

European river cruises are a very hot commodity at the moment. (A very weak dollar at the moment is not helping either). There is a significant demand on the market.

River cruise ships are by their very nature 'small ships'. The longest river ships that can sail all the key waterways in Europe are only 135 m long. And they are all 11.4 m at beam due to the size of the locks.

If you are looking into a 4+star ship, the maximum passenger count ranges from 158-168 (Rhine-only ships excluded).

In other words, unlike on the high seas, the river cruisers have an undercapacity as opposed to the overcapacity on the high seas.

If you put it all together, this is still very much a seller's market, in particular that classy but not too expensive 4+star segment. Thus, the discounts, if any, are still very much on the tame side.

SC

Archived